The Student Room Group

Is a women who has a bad relationship with her father doomed in the dating world?

Hello, I won't go into it but I have a negative relationship with my dad which causes me a lot of pain. He's still physically present in my life and is married to my mum however he is abusive to her but she puts up with it and sort of dissociates herself mentally to cope with his rage and coldness.

So my question is, is a girl who grows up in a home where her father was not loving, and she did not see an example of a healthy relationship in her home doomed to never find love?

I'm now 26 years old and a man has never been interested in me romantically. The only thing they have been interested is sex. I don't dress or behave provocatively. I can't help but think that because my father didn't love me then what chance have I of any other man loving me or, even liking me? I've never had a boyfriend and been on less than a handful of dates so it seems to be manifesting.

Just curious on people's thoughts and ideas. Thanks
Reply 1
I cannot see how?
Reply 2
I wouldn't say if you have experienced any abuse, neglect or have any negative feelings for your father that you are automatically doomed when it comes to relationships. You might have some trust issues from what happened with your dad but you can get trust issues from a lot of situations so I wouldn't worry about it too much. When the time is right, you will meet someone. You might have a few worries or trust issues but most of us do, with the right person - your fears will vanish.

I grew up with an absent dad and when he was there, he was violent and all that jazz but it hasn't impacted on me in terms of relationships. I've been in one for seven years currently and that's with trust issues and dad problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I won't go into it but I have a negative relationship with my dad which causes me a lot of pain. He's still physically present in my life and is married to my mum however he is abusive to her but she puts up with it and sort of dissociates herself mentally to cope with his rage and coldness.

So my question is, is a girl who grows up in a home where her father was not loving, and she did not see an example of a healthy relationship in her home doomed to never find love?

I'm now 26 years old and a man has never been interested in me romantically. The only thing they have been interested is sex. I don't dress or behave provocatively. I can't help but think that because my father didn't love me then what chance have I of any other man loving me or, even liking me? I've never had a boyfriend and been on less than a handful of dates so it seems to be manifesting.

Just curious on people's thoughts and ideas. Thanks

I hope not because then I'd be failing at dating.

Your relationships do not define you, I can't stress this enough to women. Do not let society try to define you based on your relationships. YOU defines you and you alone is the only person that can truely define you
Well tbh some girls with daddy issues just crave male attention and basically end up ****s but that doesn't sound like you OP so don't worry
Or they hate men lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending