The Student Room Group

Do you know someone that's been to one...

This poll is closed

Do you go or know anyone at the following universities?

Nottingham 18%
Bath 18%
Surrey 9%
Southampton 9%
Manchester45%
Total votes: 11
Hi guys. Was just wondering if there are people that have been to or know anyone that goes to my current 5 uni choices? Also I specifically want to know what I could expect social life, independent study, societies etc to be like at these universities. The universities that I want to study maths at are Nottingham, Bath, Southampton, Surrey and Manchester. Thanks in advance if you make a post on this thread. 😊
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Hi guys. Was just wondering if there are people that have been to or know anyone that goes to my current 5 uni choices? Also I specifically want to know what I could expect social life, independent study, societies etc to be like at these universities. The universities that I want to study maths at are Nottingham, Bath, Southampton, Surrey and Manchester. Thanks in advance if you make a post on this thread. 😊

You may be interested in this thread about Bath, with some details about maths on it as I am a maths student at Bath. I can't remember what I've posted on it to be honest as it was a long time ago, so I won't really say anything here unless you have unanswered questions, but I would say that I would highly recommend studying maths at Bath - the placement year is just a fantastic opportunity and some of the 3rd year options look genuinely interesting, the second year is okay and the first year is fine for easing you into study and it's generally a nice place to be.
Original post by SeanFM
You may be interested in this thread about Bath, with some details about maths on it as I am a maths student at Bath. I can't remember what I've posted on it to be honest as it was a long time ago, so I won't really say anything here unless you have unanswered questions, but I would say that I would highly recommend studying maths at Bath - the placement year is just a fantastic opportunity and some of the 3rd year options look genuinely interesting, the second year is okay and the first year is fine for easing you into study and it's generally a nice place to be.
Cool, thanks for the advice! I'm going to look at the thread. Just have a quick query. What online resources would you recommend me to look at to prepare for university level mathematics? I basically want to look outside the A Level specification. I know you learn about topics like Linear Algebra, Calculus, etc...
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Cool, thanks for the advice! I'm going to look at the thread. Just have a quick query. What online resources would you recommend me to look at to prepare for university level mathematics? I basically want to look outside the A Level specification. I know you learn about topics like Linear Algebra, Calculus, etc...

Any kind of introductory algebra/analysis (the idea of maps, linear algebra as you say, cool things to do with series, different tests etc) is probably a starting point for algebra/analysis. Briefly looking at STEP may help if you aren't sitting it. But I did neither of those things to 'prepare' for university and I got on just fine in the first year :tongue: so I do not know of any online resources - sorry - but I am sure that somewhere like youtube or even just googling undergraduate topics (perhaps from the Bath module catalogue - the descriptions are usually good) and you may get notes that are helpful/relevant/easy enough to understand.
Original post by SeanFM
Any kind of introductory algebra/analysis (the idea of maps, linear algebra as you say, cool things to do with series, different tests etc) is probably a starting point for algebra/analysis. Briefly looking at STEP may help if you aren't sitting it. But I did neither of those things to 'prepare' for university and I got on just fine in the first year :tongue: so I do not know of any online resources - sorry - but I am sure that somewhere like youtube or even just googling undergraduate topics (perhaps from the Bath module catalogue - the descriptions are usually good) and you may get notes that are helpful/relevant/easy enough to understand.
Ah alright, it's ok if you don't know any sources. Once again thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending