The Student Room Group

Just a little advice guys please?

Hey, so as I'm starting 6th form soon I'm going to go on a bus to get there. However I haven't really been on a bus much and forgot the ways you can pay. And please don't troll me or anything, this is a serious question and I need your help, so please reply :smile:

I was wondering that if I get a 7 day ticket which gives me unlimited usage for 7 days, what do I actually do to it? Like do I just show the bus driver the ticket and that's it???? Do I need to say the destination I'm going??? Please say and please no trolling comments.
I think that you can just show it, because if you get a ticket for seven days you usually pay in advance, during which you put down where you're going.
If you're afraid of the bus driver not stopping where you need to get off just remember to push the stop button a good distance before the stop, or you can just tell him anyway. Either way you won't make a fool of yourself so don't worry :smile:
Reply 2
Get on the bus and greet the bossman. If the ticket is the paper-card sort, wave it in the bossman's face; if the ticket is the electronic-card type, stick it on the scanner thing.

You don't need to tell the bossman where you plan to go because the bossman drives via a route. All you need to do is make sure you know when to get off on that route, and press the button to let the bossman know that you want to pop off. As you're popping off, give a little 'Nice one' to the bossman as he goes off to continue on his route.

In Wales it is compulsory for us to to depart with "Cheers Drive", because we are cretins.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Wow thanks for the replies guys! Im Just not used to it that's all :smile:..so all i dois buy my seven day ticket, get on the bus, show the driver my ticket and press the stop button when i want to stop?

Appreciate the help people :smile:
Original post by Pedrex
Wow thanks for the replies guys! Im Just not used to it that's all :smile:..so all i dois buy my seven day ticket, get on the bus, show the driver my ticket and press the stop button when i want to stop?

Appreciate the help people :smile:

Yep you got it 👏
It may actually be better (cheaper) for you to buy a season ticket for the bus rather than a seven day ticket if you're going to go to college every day. Just a thought.
Reply 5
Original post by meemily
Yep you got it 👏
It may actually be better (cheaper) for you to buy a season ticket for the bus rather than a seven day ticket if you're going to go to college every day. Just a thought.

Oh really? I'll see how much of a price difference they are then, thanks :smile: sorry if this question was stupid, i seriously didn't know what to do haha.

Also don't know if it was but someone was saying if its a paper ticket you wave it to the driver or if its not you put it in some machine ? Is this true?
I think it might depend where in the country you are as different areas might have different ideas for doing things. Also, do make sure you get a Student Bus Pass or whatever they are called. It will give you massive discounts. You need a photograph to accompany your application form. [Apologies if you have done all of this already].
Just a thought. If you are located say, in Nottingham, perhaps you could go on the Nottingham Transport website [or whatever it would be called]. They might have various packages for tickets and options, like Seven Day Savers, Student Discount,etc.
Original post by Pedrex
Oh really? I'll see how much of a price difference they are then, thanks :smile: sorry if this question was stupid, i seriously didn't know what to do haha.

Also don't know if it was but someone was saying if its a paper ticket you wave it to the driver or if its not you put it in some machine ? Is this true?

I think it depends (I had a card for a year and I just showed it to the driver) so I just suggest showing it to the driver and if he tells you to put it in a machine then you know what to do for next time.
Original post by Pedrex

I don't think the poster meant you literally WAVE the ticket ,by the way. I think if you just hold it up in your hand and show him, so he can see the date on it, it will suffice. But the driver will be well used to people your age all having the same type of tickets so he will recognise it straight away.[I'm referring to when you show it to the driver on a different route other than the one you just bought the ticket off ].
(edited 7 years ago)
You can buy a student buss pass online which will be cheaper than buying a day saver bus ticket everyday. Some colleges give you free bus passes, I don't know if six forms do them, you can ask.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
[QUOTE="markova21;67312856"]Just a thought. If you are located say, in Nottingham, perhaps you could go on the Nottingham Transport website [or whatever it would be called]. They might have various packages for tickets and options, like Seven Day Savers, Student Discount,etc.[/QUOTE

Thanks! I've looked online at the website i need and found different packages, just can't decide which one to get at the moment. Also,sorry to ask you but if i get a seven day ticket, what would i do when its over? Do i get another one from the bus terminal or what?
Reply 12
One last thing people, i was thinking of getting "the key" online but can someome explain how it actually works? Like do they post the plastic ticket to you and you then just get on the bus?
Original post by Pedrex
One last thing people, i was thinking of getting "the key" online but can someome explain how it actually works? Like do they post the plastic ticket to you and you then just get on the bus?

Yeah they post it to you then you show it to the bus driver each time you take the bus. You have to renew it before it expires though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by samzy21
Yeah they post it to you then you show it to the bus driver each time you take the bus. You have to renew it before it expires though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks for the help, i appreciate it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending