The Student Room Group

How do normal people make friends?

Scroll to see replies

The same way you did at Nursery? Primary School? Secondary School?

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stefano865
Many people would probably rather admit to an addiction or incest than they would loneliness.

Funny that. :redface:

Hmm..because you can treat addiction whereas loneliness...tough luck really :s-smilie: lol
Reply 22
Aww i used to be exactly like you (still am slightly) just think before you speak but what s*** can you really say to someone new that you don't know...? (wait don't answer that lool) Just respect them and they will do the same to you and don't over think it, it will happen naturally without you even realising.

Being calm and to be able to keep the conversation going is also key by not just interrogating the other person but by acc being honest and open, it's a two way thing.

If you feel as though you are too shy find someone with similar qualities or even a smile can really change the way people think about you and can make you more approachable! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Not an easy question to answer, all I can say is be yourself and pursue your interests and you'll find the right people that way - don't force it.
Generally just approach people and say hi. Friendship may blossom, may not, but at least you tried. :smile:
Truly just work on your confidence. If there's a group of people that you'd like to be friends with talk to them be cool and relaxed, remember they want to make friends too!
The thing I most regret from 6th form is assuming people didn't want to talk to me - and therefore missing out on friendships.
Show a genuine interest in people, ask questions, remember stuff about them. Be funny and share yourself with them aswell.
Original post by Anonymous
Truly just work on your confidence. If there's a group of people that you'd like to be friends with talk to them be cool and relaxed, remember they want to make friends too!

The thing I most regret from 6th form is assuming people didn't want to talk to me - and therefore missing out on friendships.

Read books/ articles on developing your self confidence
Original post by 123moon
Aww i used to be exactly like you (still am slightly) just think before you speak but what s*** can you really say to someone new that you don't know...? (wait don't answer that lool) Just respect them and they will do the same to you and don't over think it, it will happen naturally without you even realising.

Being calm and to be able to keep the conversation going is also key by not just interrogating the other person but by acc being honest and open, it's a two way thing.

If you feel as though you are too shy find someone with similar qualities or even a smile can really change the way people think about you and can make you more approachable! :smile:

Hi. Im currently in Year 11 and fell out of my friendship group cuz they kept on complaining about my physical appearance which made me have body confidence issues, never really invited me out and just bullied me in general ( I was kinda new then). Im quite a shy person and never really talked much in class (cuz of an illness I had which made me drowsy in class) but now I participate a lot in class (which shocks my teachers and classmates), and talk to the people around me (they're quite shocked cuz I wasnt talking at first). At break, I hang out in the reading room revising. I thought I could be independent but now I get tired being on my own. Ive tried finding people with similar interests for about 6 months but I just cant find any. Do you think it is too late to make friends in Year 11 and will friendship groups at this stage be open to accept new people? I just feel like people are so used to me being quiet but Ive changed now. I really dont want to go back to my old friendship group cuz they'll probably feel I depend on them and continue tryna bully me. How do you know if a friendship group would accept you and has similar interests as you? I really want to make good and nice friends with similar interests as me so that I can fit in:smile:
This thread is perfect for me.
Reply 30
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. Im currently in Year 11 and fell out of my friendship group cuz they kept on complaining about my physical appearance which made me have body confidence issues, never really invited me out and just bullied me in general ( I was kinda new then). Im quite a shy person and never really talked much in class (cuz of an illness I had which made me drowsy in class) but now I participate a lot in class (which shocks my teachers and classmates), and talk to the people around me (they're quite shocked cuz I wasnt talking at first). At break, I hang out in the reading room revising. I thought I could be independent but now I get tired being on my own. Ive tried finding people with similar interests for about 6 months but I just cant find any. Do you think it is too late to make friends in Year 11 and will friendship groups at this stage be open to accept new people? I just feel like people are so used to me being quiet but Ive changed now. I really dont want to go back to my old friendship group cuz they'll probably feel I depend on them and continue tryna bully me. How do you know if a friendship group would accept you and has similar interests as you? I really want to make good and nice friends with similar interests as me so that I can fit in:smile:

Aww well I'm glad you have come out of your shell a bit more! :smile: And no don't worry I've just started Year 12 and a lot of friendships around me have changed as people move on and go onto different places to start a new chapter in their lives and new people come so don't worry there are still plenty more opportunities to make new friends. To be honest, joining any new friendship group can be hard at first depending on how close the individuals are beforehand but it kind of just happens naturally and you would really know unless you try (talking so asking questions,hobbies, interests, likes/dislikes etc.) then you just kind of develop a bond and start to hang out. If not, start it off in the classroom like ask questions with your peers about the work but don't do it continuously so within moderation sometimes small talk is the best but it is all about self confidence which it sounds like your developing so don't worry! It's simple really, hope I could help!

Hope all goes well for you! Good luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sararodrigues
This thread is perfect for me.

:console:
Original post by tamil fever
Be yourself...:smile:
And don't be scared or shy to talk to others

This post is not constructive(if that makes sense)

Some people have social anxiety and phobia that needs to be addressed professionally.

And you say "be yourself and don't be scared to talk to people"

Its easier said than done.

WFT?
I know how you feel op.

We all have to learn and communication is a learning process.

The other day i just sat down at a table and it was soo akward, did not know what to say as in start a convo and people on my table were hostile.
I'll assume because of your age that you're in education and you're going to be seeing the same people regularly. The first day is going to be the most awkward, but you've just gotta open with something observational like how weird the weather has been or how much of a pain in the arse it was getting there today. Then just chat and try and find some common ground - if you're at college and doing the same course then there's something right off the bat. After the first day you can then greet them the next time you see them, ask them if they did anything good last night, that sort of thing.
:console:

What? 😂😂
I dunno, I'm not a normal person
Original post by sararodrigues
What? 😂😂

:tee:

Friends?
:tee:

Friends?

You want to be friends? 😍