The Student Room Group

If you married someone of a different faith to you...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I probably wouldn't convert, no. I'm not going to sacrifice everything I stand for.

That's the attitude!
Original post by Illimitable
Is that just your preference?

Yeah normally.

Original post by Angry Bird
are you saying chai wala can't get it up?

He's just not a hunky white male with a godly jawline..
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yeah normally.

Oh that's good. Don't asian parents usually persuade / convince you to get married to person with the same faith?
Yeah normally.

ok would you still drink his chai?
Nope. I'm a Muslim woman and I wasn't expected to deconvert when I married my husband who is a white atheist. Therefore I didn't expect him to convert to Islam either and he wouldn't have done anyway. what really matters in a marriage is mutual respect, understanding and love, not what you both believe will happen when you die.
Oh that's good. Don't asian parents usually persuade / convince you to get married to person with the same faith?

I'm mixed race myself so it would be fairly hypocritical on my dad's part to stop me from marrying a non Indian :tongue: My dad's fairly chilled as a Hindu like I am. Asian parents (esp Hindu ones) try to convince their kids to marry other Hindus for cultural reasons rather than religious ones because nobody has to convert if they marry a Hindu and I don't think there's anywhere in the holy book which stops interfaith marriage :smile:

My cousin was disowned because she married a white Jewish American though :I
I'm mixed race myself so it would be fairly hypocritical on my dad's part to stop me from marrying a non Indian My dad's fairly chilled as a Hindu like I am. Asian parents (esp Hindu ones) try to convince their kids to marry other Hindus for cultural reasons rather than religious ones because nobody has to convert if they marry a Hindu and I don't think there's anywhere in the holy book which stops interfaith marriage

My cousin was disowned because she married a white Jewish American though :I

Ohh. Your lucky because that happens a lot I'm pretty sure that would also happen to me lol.
Ohh. Your lucky because that happens a lot I'm pretty sure that would also happen to me lol.

Honestly, it speaks volumes of a parent if they disown their kid for marrying someone of a different faith. If they disowned their own kid over that then they don't deserve to be a parent.
Honestly, it speaks volumes of a parent if they disown their kid for marrying someone of a different faith. If they disowned their own kid over that then they don't deserve to be a parent.

True. Then again my cousin did marry a Catholic and did convert to Islam by his choice but when his father will pass away (serious illness) the Catholic Church won't let him attend his funeral because he's not Catholic.
Reply 29

Agree 100000000000%

It's so stupid how much bearing religion has on whether two people can be together. Religion separates people more than anything else.
Original post by Angry Bird
are you saying chai wala can't get it up?

I've got an answer to this but it's too X-rated to be posted this forum LOL

Spoiler

I am an athiest, however, I don't mind my partner practising his religion. He shouldn't force me into it. Also when my children are of appropriate age, I would allow them to follow whatever they wanted to.
True. Then again my cousin did marry a Catholic and did convert to Islam by his choice but when his father will pass away (serious illness) the Catholic Church won't let him attend his funeral because he's not Catholic.

Damnn. My cousin and her husband have a pretty happy marriage. All 3 of their kids are being raised Hindu and Jewish.
Original post by Zuki
Agree 100000000000%

It's so stupid how much bearing religion has on whether two people can be together. Religion separates people more than anything else.

Exactly :/
Damnn. My cousin and her husband have a pretty happy marriage. All 3 of their kids are being raised Hindu and Jewish.

Exactly :/

That's a unique and very nice mix! That's good but sometimes it doesn't work out I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I probably wouldn't convert, no. I'm not going to sacrifice everything I stand for.

Love requires sacrificing things so it would be a fail for you.
Original post by Anonymous

Sacrifice is in no way a requirement for love, much less the sacrifice of one's most important beliefs so the failure is yours.
Original post by Anonymous

But isn't it always, in your world, one partner who has do all the sacrificing while the other partner just keeps taking? If I was that partner who does all the sacrificing for the scumbag/cow I married - that would be a fail for me.

Love is a relationship where each partner gives and receives, and there is mutual respect and concern for each other.

If one is the overlord and the other a slave, love has clearly departed from this relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending