The Student Room Group

Offers, student finance and accomodation

So, I have all of my offers and i know which university i want to go to. I now need to:
- confirm my insurance and firm
- sort out student finance
- apply for accommodation
Which order should i do this in?
Original post by Priyaaax
So, I have all of my offers and i know which university i want to go to. I now need to:

Sort out finance first. You can swap your course on there easily if you change your mind but it can take a while to sort out so best to get on with things ASAP.

Research the accommodation policies and application process at your likely firm and insurance to find out when you need to apply by (and for your insurance if you apply now or wait until August).

Then pick your firm insurance on Track in late March/April. Once you set this on Track it's much more of a faff to undo (and your deadline will be early May so making sure before you make it official is a good idea). The bare minimum is to know what the accommodation situation is and your options BEFORE you commit to a firm on Track.
Reply 2
Student finance
Firm/insurance
Accommodation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I’m in my first year at derby now but last year I think I applied for student finance first, then my insurance/firm then accommodation. I mainly did it that way as Derby offers guaranteed accommodation if they’re your firm choice. It doesn’t matter too much what order you do it all in though so don’t worry about it. You don’t want to rush into accepting offers then changing your mind later so take your time with decisions (so long as you still make a decision within the deadline).

Hope this is helpful,

Molly
Reply 4
I will agree that student finance is easily changed but takes a while to do. I would do finance first, decide on your university and then book accommodation.
Reply 5

confirm uni choices
student accommodation
student finance

there is no rush for student finance, but accommodation can only be done once you've confirmed your uni choices.
if you want to make sure you get your desired accommodation it is best to apply as soon as possible.
It depends on the uni as some don't let you apply for accommodation until you firm them while others let you apply asap.

I suggest student finance first because it takes a while, uni choices then accommodation last
Reply 7
Original post by walkonby
if you want to make sure you get your desired accommodation it is best to apply as soon as possible.

There's no priority given to early firmers.

UCAS FORBID universities from incentivising firm/insurance choices before the deadline. (copyright @PQ)
confirm uni choices
student accommodation
student finance

there is no rush for student finance, but accommodation can only be done once you've confirmed your uni choices.

The deadline for finance is 26 May - for many applicants there may be multiple requests for evidence about residence and household income (and dependents/childcare etc) that all need to be in BY that date in order to guarantee funding at the start of a course. And SFE don't ask for all evidence straight away, they get the declaration signed and returned...then a few weeks later ask for household income and other evidence....then MIGHT acknowledge receipt of that evidence a few weeks after that or ask for more evidence. 12 weeks (now 10) isn't that much time for something that requires a lot of backwards and forwards.

If someone is financially able to get by on no loan or only the minimum non assessed loan for their first term then delaying applying for finance might be ok but it's not ideal.

Accommodation allocation and policies varies ENORMOUSLY between universities (who can apply, when to apply, when they decide, what they guarantee). What matters is to research the process, deadlines and allocation times for all choices an applicant is considering to make sure that they're aware of their options.

MOST allocation of halls is only finalised after results in August (at which point anyone who was offered something they're unhappy with at a university that allocates earlier can usually swap). It's very common for clearing and insurance applicants to end up in "the best" halls that were their first choice while someone applying as soon as applications opened in March was given a lower preference. Allocation software will only consider the rooms available to be allocated when considering that specific application - which means there's rarely an increased chance of getting your preferences by applying early even if a university says they take application date into account.

And even then - ending up with an amazingly cheap, en suite room with a massive kitchen and a double bed isn't going to be any help if you've accepted a course or university that you're unhappy at.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
The deadline for finance is 26 May - for many applicants there may be multiple requests for evidence about residence and household income (and dependents/childcare etc) that all need to be in BY that date in order to guarantee funding at the start of a course. And SFE don't ask for all evidence straight away, they get the declaration signed and returned...then a few weeks later ask for household income and other evidence....then MIGHT acknowledge receipt of that evidence a few weeks after that or ask for more evidence. 12 weeks (now 10) isn't that much time for something that requires a lot of backwards and forwards.

jeez i didn't know the deadline was that soon... i better get started on my application
jeez i didn't know the deadline was that soon... i better get started on my application

For continuing students it's later (23rd June)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending