The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons

Hi, I'm wondering how long it takes roughly for Student Finance England to process a Compelling Personal Reasons application.

Right now I am applying as back up, basically I have been off ill for a lot of this year due to my asthma and I have done my best to keep up but it is looking like I may fail. I rang Student Finance to mention this and they said although I still have reassessments ahead, to apply now just in case.

I'm on my 2nd year so one way or another once finance is approved (already been given finance for 3rd year) I'll be back at university in September.

I'm just wondering how long it takes for them to process a Compelling Personal Reasons claim and how often they reject/accept them?

My GP has written me a letter to say I should be allowed to repeat on medical grounds if need be and hopefully his recommendation carries some weight.
Original post by LilyRobinson
Hi, I'm wondering how long it takes roughly for Student Finance England to process a Compelling Personal Reasons application.

Right now I am applying as back up, basically I have been off ill for a lot of this year due to my asthma and I have done my best to keep up but it is looking like I may fail. I rang Student Finance to mention this and they said although I still have reassessments ahead, to apply now just in case.

I'm on my 2nd year so one way or another once finance is approved (already been given finance for 3rd year) I'll be back at university in September.

I'm just wondering how long it takes for them to process a Compelling Personal Reasons claim and how often they reject/accept them?

My GP has written me a letter to say I should be allowed to repeat on medical grounds if need be and hopefully his recommendation carries some weight.

Will you be repeating the year?

I wouldnt worry as you have medical evidence plus I assume your uni is supporting you as well. They take it on a case by case basis, so you have to be patient. Make sure you have enclosed all the relevant documents and details, so they arent missing anything.

Only they can give you guidance on how long it takes to process as only they know what their workload is at the moment.. They might eb able to give you a rough idea.
Original post by 999tigger

I wouldnt worry as you have medical evidence plus I assume your uni is supporting you as well. They take it on a case by case basis, so you have to be patient. Make sure you have enclosed all the relevant documents and details, so they arent missing anything.

Only they can give you guidance on how long it takes to process as only they know what their workload is at the moment.. They might eb able to give you a rough idea.

Whether I'll definitely be repeating is unknown as I still have reassessments to go yet. I tend to panick easily when I don't know what is happening though. So I rang Student Finance a few weeks back and they advised that even though I may not need it to apply now. As waiting for results means sending the Compelling Personal Reasons in when they are liable to be pretty busy processing late applications or others in the same boat as me.

Basically, I could still pass but they said just in case to apply now. Then pass or fail I know exactly where I stand when September comes round.
Whether I'll definitely be repeating is unknown as I still have reassessments to go yet. I tend to panick easily when I don't know what is happening though. So I rang Student Finance a few weeks back and they advised that even though I may not need it to apply now. As waiting for results means sending the Compelling Personal Reasons in when they are liable to be pretty busy processing late applications or others in the same boat as me.

Basically, I could still pass but they said just in case to apply now. Then pass or fail I know exactly where I stand when September comes round.

Well you fit all the criteria.

On another note if your exam results are poor and you have been affected, then do talk to your tutor ad see if its an option to resit the year anyway. Just because they offer you progression doesnt mean you should take it.

The most important thing is finishing your studies with a good degree.
Well you fit all the criteria.

On another note if your exam results are poor and you have been affected, then do talk to your tutor ad see if its an option to resit the year anyway. Just because they offer you progression doesnt mean you should take it.

The most important thing is finishing your studies with a good degree.

Well I am already in close communication with my tutors but I don't actually need the degree anymore for the job I want to go into (change of career path). I mean there is experience I will gain off this degree that will certainly help me in getting the job I want, but the experience is more important than the actual qualification. I mean obviously I would like to pass but if I don't provided I get the experience I need I should be set.

Only issue is my change in career plan happened midway through this year and I can get the experience I need in both Year 2 and Year 3, but I changed my career path a bit too late this year but for next year already in discussions with my course tutors and Student Support Officer to get something sorted out.

Just to explain though as that is a bit vague, I am doing a degree in BSc Honours in Mathematics with Education and QTS, I have since dropped the QTS this year and as a teaching course, those on QTS go on a placement in both Year 2 and 3. No longer doing QTS I didn't do this.

I want to go into Pastoral Care though and I have been making some enquiries around schools where they have basically said there is no qualification that can get me this job and experience is key. So I have made it clear to my course tutor I would like to go out on placement next year with the QTS students but in a Pastoral Department as opposed to a Mathematics Department.

They are really onboard for sorting this out and are actually gonna use me for doing a trial run, as they have a few students who have dropped the QTS side of the course but as to whether they still wish to stick with education they aren't sure. But they feel extending the course programme in this way could be a good idea for those like me who decide they don't want to teach but would still like to stay in the field of education.
Well I am already in close communication with my tutors but I don't actually need the degree anymore for the job I want to go into (change of career path). I mean there is experience I will gain off this degree that will certainly help me in getting the job I want, but the experience is more important than the actual qualification. I mean obviously I would like to pass but if I don't provided I get the experience I need I should be set.

Only issue is my change in career plan happened midway through this year and I can get the experience I need in both Year 2 and Year 3, but I changed my career path a bit too late this year but for next year already in discussions with my course tutors and Student Support Officer to get something sorted out.

Just to explain though as that is a bit vague, I am doing a degree in BSc Honours in Mathematics with Education and QTS, I have since dropped the QTS this year and as a teaching course, those on QTS go on a placement in both Year 2 and 3. No longer doing QTS I didn't do this.

I want to go into Pastoral Care though and I have been making some enquiries around schools where they have basically said there is no qualification that can get me this job and experience is key. So I have made it clear to my course tutor I would like to go out on placement next year with the QTS students but in a Pastoral Department as opposed to a Mathematics Department.

They are really onboard for sorting this out and are actually gonna use me for doing a trial run, as they have a few students who have dropped the QTS side of the course but as to whether they still wish to stick with education they aren't sure. But they feel extending the course programme in this way could be a good idea for those like me who decide they don't want to teach but would still like to stay in the field of education.

Ok that sounds sorted I would still say just as a precaution getting a decent degree (if possible) is still a smart thing to do. Things change and you might need it in the future. Its not unusual to have a number of careers.

GL with it all though.

16 working days at the moment to review/process CPR - timescales change daily depending on the workload, usually it's around 11 working days so I would advise you to give it 3 weeks from when you send it in to hear back

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending