The Student Room Group

Parents found out I have tried smoking and NOS

Basically I was out at my mates house and came home, and my mum asked me if I wanted to admit to anything. She then said she'd found filter and papers for roll up cigarettes in my bag. I lied because I panicked and said they were my friends, and I'd just done a few balloons (NOS) at my friends house but felt completely fine, but my parents assumed I'd taken something. I eventually told them I'd taken Nos Balloons and they didn't know what it was, so they rung the ambulance just to make sure I was fine and I was. The next day I didn't eat the whole day as I was in bed, literally just depressed because my parents weren't speaking to me. They called me downstairs in the evening and said how I'm not allowed out for a while and that anything can happen when on drugs, but they don't understand nos isn't that serious and I've only tried it that one time. I tried to tell them I'm young and I'm bound to try things, but I'll never do it again and I apologise. They seem to think I'm influenced by others, and they have also taken my phone by the way, bare in mind it's just the beginning of the summer holidays so it's pretty **** it's happened now. I feel my parents have overreacted as when my mates have been caught previously with smoking stuff or whatever, they've literally been told to please not do it again, or they've been grounded for a short while. My parents have no trust in me anymore, and fail to ever listen to my argument, and I feel this is unfair and they've called me all sorts of names and have literally made me feel like ****. I jus feel they're overreacting a little, and everything would've been so much easier if they sat down and had a calm chat with me instead, rather than shouting and saying they're disappointed. I'm in the worst position right now, I just need some advice or help on how to go forward with this with them? I mean people are bound to try stuff one day, but they just think I should know right from wrong which is fair enough, but it was one time and I'm completely fine and won't do it again.
Would be appreciated if someone could help out, thanks a lot. Just need some advice on how to go forward and if anyone can relate to my situation, because trust me you wouldn't wanna be in my shoes right now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Damn.

I'd say lay low, and let the anger that your parents have die down over a few days, then try and reason with them.

Best of luck.
All parents react in different ways. Mine were off with my sister when she tried out smoking and didn't say nice things either. Just be more careful about where you put things next time.
Lmfao.

Imo your parents are overreacting way too much. You can't do any stupid **** while on balloons because the effect lasts like 30 seconds, lmao.

I remember my mum was saying how she smoked a bit at uni and that's it and then I just brought up the fact that I smoke at parties sometimes and she was fine (didn't mention the balloons though, lol)!

I'd say to wait for the situation to cool down (if it does) and attempt to talk to your parents. It'll be hard because they sound like they don't want to listen but you have to try.
(edited 6 years ago)
This is completely fair. You took drugs and lied about it, your parents are not being unfair and you completely deserve what you get. You have just created this post to get reassurance that your right and drugs are fine, well there not and you're wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tehforum
Damn.

I'd say lay low, and let the anger that your parents have die down over a few days, then try and reason with them.

Best of luck.

Thanks a lot, yeah I guess that's the only thing I can do really
Why would you want to try and smoke cigs for the benefit of only getting cancer? I could more understand them being angry at that then if you smoked weed. Also NOS is dangerous if your not careful.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
All parents react in different ways. Mine were off with my sister when she tried out smoking and didn't say nice things either. Just be more careful about where you put things next time.

100%, it's just annoying because I know my dad had tried stuff when he was younger too, and many other relatives but they jus feel as soon as I try it they treat me like a criminal, I don't even smoke I just have one socially now and then at a party or something so I'm not addicted or anything near to that.
Reply 8
Original post by BTAnonymous
Lmfao.

Imo your parents are overreacting way too much. You can't do any stupid **** while on balloons because the effect lasts like 30 seconds, lmao.

I remember my mum was saying how she smoked a bit at uni and that's it and then I just brought up the fact that I smoke at parties sometimes and she was fine (didn't mention the balloons though, lol)!

I'd say to wait for the situation to cool down (if it does) and attempt to talk to your parents. It'll be hard because they sound like they don't want to listen but you have to try.

Yeah deffo, I feel they are overreacting because it's perfectly normal for teenagers to try stupid **** in their life, baring in mind balloons are not even bad if you're trying it once or twice. But I love them to pieces and understand at the same time where they are coming from, but I just hate it because I literally feel like I'm on my own right now, I have no one to talk to properly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by lmaofolks
This is completely fair. You took drugs and lied about it, your parents are not being unfair and you completely deserve what you get. You have just created this post to get reassurance that your right and drugs are fine, well there not and you're wrong.

Not at all, I know I've made a mistake and I just need some advice on how to move past it that's all. Drugs are never right and neither is smoking, I lied because I panicked but honestly I get I'm gonna have to live like this for a while, but it's depressing having my family not talk to me at all you know, it was a silly mistake and I feel like if we moved on from this it would be so much better for all of us.
Original post by dylandcruz7
Yeah deffo, I feel they are overreacting because it's perfectly normal for teenagers to try stupid **** in their life, baring in mind balloons are not even bad if you're trying it once or twice. But I love them to pieces and understand at the same time where they are coming from, but I just hate it because I literally feel like I'm on my own right now, I have no one to talk to properly.

I don't think there is much you can do at the moment so just let it play out first.

Wait for them to calm down first and eventually start talking to them.

Not at all, I know I've made a mistake and I just need some advice on how to move past it that's all. Drugs are never right and neither is smoking, I lied because I panicked but honestly I get I'm gonna have to live like this for a while, but it's depressing having my family not talk to me at all you know, it was a silly mistake and I feel like if we moved on from this it would be so much better for all of us.

hmmm
Reply 12
Original post by John10101
Why would you want to try and smoke cigs for the benefit of only getting cancer? I could more understand them being angry at that then if you smoked weed. Also NOS is dangerous if your not careful.

I know I get that, I'm learning from my mistakes and it was just me wanting to experiment, I mean I'm young and I knew Nos wasn't as dangerous as other drugs so I tried it, yeah I shouldn't have but I just want to move on because it's so hard living as I am right now, there's no one to talk to and my parents jus basically hate me rn
I know I get that, I'm learning from my mistakes and it was just me wanting to experiment, I mean I'm young and I knew Nos wasn't as dangerous as other drugs so I tried it, yeah I shouldn't have but I just want to move on because it's so hard living as I am right now, there's no one to talk to and my parents jus basically hate me rn

You did drugs. stop saying they overreacted because they didn't, you did drugs did you expect them to sit you down and hug you???
Original post by lmaofolks
You did drugs. stop saying they overreacted because they didn't, you did drugs did you expect them to sit you down and hug you???

Get out of here, you're not helping with your holier than thou approach to drugs.

Don't tar all drugs with the same *****y brush.
Original post by tehforum
Get out of here, you're not helping with your holier than thou approach to drugs.

Don't tar all drugs with the same *****y brush.

You're saying its fine he did drugs and you're saying i'm the one not helping! lmao Holier
When I was younger my parents found a research chemical in my room (I'm not going to name it on here) - it was legal at the time so I'd bought it from the internet. It was a white powder in a professionally labelled zip lock bag, so they knew what it was (after some research online). They also found scales and assumed I'd been selling it (I hadn't). It was a pretty hard conversation with lots of shouting and crying and they said I wasn't allowed out for the weekend (it was only the second time I'd been grounded in my life, they're soft) and they said they were going to ring my friend's mum. The next day, they'd chilled out, said I could go out and didn't call my friend's mum. They flushed the research chem down the toilet and smashed my scales with a hammer, but they forgot the whole thing pretty quickly.

I'd advise you to avoid talking to them about it because if they're mad it will only provoke an argument. If there's an auntie or something that you're closer to, maybe talk about it to them and explain the whole thing so they can talk to your parents and subside some of the anger. My best advice for coping with arguments with parents is to completely avoid the topic - seems to work for me, but might not be the best route of resolution for other people. You have to trust your own judgement, you know your family better than we do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending