The Student Room Group

Student Finance for 18's years old - Maintenance Loan

Hello,

Currently, a mate of mine is trying to apply only for a maintenance loan, when they apply for the application online when it asks for the fee amounts for the all of the courses, theirs is £0 as they are 18. They are then redirected to another page stating "The minimum loan amount for an Advanced Learner Loans is £300. Loans for less than £300 can only be considered in exceptional circumstances, and applications must be submitted using an application form. As your fee is under £300, you can’t continue your application online. Please complete and send us an application form instead."

They are currently filling out the paper form application but it still states on the paper application that the minimum loan amount is £300.

All they are wanting to get is a maintenance loan, does anyone have any suggestions or help that they could offer?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RockSteel
Hello,

Currently, a mate of mine is trying to apply only for a maintenance loan, when they apply for the application online when it asks for the fee amounts for the all of the courses, theirs is £0 as they are 18. They are then redirected to another page stating "The minimum loan amount for an Advanced Learner Loans is £300. Loans for less than £300 can only be considered in exceptional circumstances, and applications must be submitted using an application form. As your fee is under £300, you can’t continue your application online. Please complete and send us an application form instead."

They are currently filling out the paper form application but it still states on the paper application that the minimum loan amount is £300.

All they are wanting to get is a maintenance loan, does anyone have any suggestions or help that they could offer?

Hi =RockSteel

I advise that you give our Advanced Learner Loan Team a call on

Tel: 0300 100 0619

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

They will be able to advise how the student may be able to apply, to get money from the Loan Bursary Fund after they've received loan approval.

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi =RockSteel

I advise that you give our Advanced Learner Loan Team a call on

Tel: 0300 100 0619

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

They will be able to advise how the student may be able to apply, to get money from the Loan Bursary Fund after they've received loan approval.

Thanks Rona

Hello, Rona,

Thank you very much, the information I'll make to pass it onto my friend.
Reply 3
Hello,

What course is your friend doing? College courses don't qualify for a maintenance loan.
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
What course is your friend doing? College courses don't qualify for a maintenance loan.

Sorry for the late reply,

They are currently doing A-Levels, they told me that college courses can qualify for a maintenance loan. Their reason forgetting is that they no longer live with their parents who are located in Scotland and they are attending a college in the South of England (due to personal reasons that I would prefer not to say for privacy on them).
They need the maintenance loan to pay the rent for a flat and currently the landlord has allowed them some time to secure the finance before they start to pay for rent.

That's the current situation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Sorry for the late reply,

They are currently doing A-Levels, they told me that college can qualify for a maintenance loan. Their reason forgetting is that they no longer live with their parents who are located in Scotland and they are attending a college in the South of England (due to personal reasons that I would prefer not to say for privacy on them).
They need the maintenance loan to pay the rent for a flat and currently the landlord has allowed them some time to secure the finance before they start to pay for rent.

That's the current situation.

There isn't a maintenance loan for A Levels... perhaps a college bursary but that's usually only like £10 a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending