The Student Room Group

British Citizen not able to apply for a student loan!!!!

Hey guys,

Who doesn't want to travel and see the world?

I have been living outside the uk for 8 years now.

I have spent most of my time in Australia where i part own a bar, i have chosen to go back to study back in the England to follow my dream as a animal conservational scientist.

But.... I have met a few hurdles.

Even though i have spent 21 years of my life in the uk, i have to apply as an overseas student, which will cost and extra £2,000 a year and to add insult to injury, i may not be able to receive a student loan from the SFE (Student Finance England)

I have a British Passport and have paid income and council tax.
I am not a resident of any other country so can not get a student loan from another country.

I am a little dismayed as a British citizen and a UK passport holder my rights have been taken away from me.

I am planning to spend the rest of my life in the uk so i don't see the problem.

Has anyone had any experience of this or have anyone who i can contact to persue my dream.

Thank you for time and consideration.

Regards

David
Original post by daveward1979
Hey guys,

Who doesn't want to travel and see the world?

I have been living outside the uk for 8 years now.

I have spent most of my time in Australia where i part own a bar, i have chosen to go back to study back in the England to follow my dream as a animal conservational scientist.

But.... I have met a few hurdles.

Even though i have spent 21 years of my life in the uk, i have to apply as an overseas student, which will cost and extra £2,000 a year and to add insult to injury, i may not be able to receive a student loan from the SFE (Student Finance England)

I have a British Passport and have paid income and council tax.
I am not a resident of any other country so can not get a student loan from another country.

I am a little dismayed as a British citizen and a UK passport holder my rights have been taken away from me.

I am planning to spend the rest of my life in the uk so i don't see the problem.

Has anyone had any experience of this or have anyone who i can contact to persue my dream.

Thank you for time and consideration.

Regards

David

Hi David,

Unfortunately I can't give any advice on the criteria with universities.

You are correct though, part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is 3 years residency in the UK before the first day of the first academic year, unless your time abroad was of a temporary nature.

I can definitely appreciate your frustration in your situation however I do know that this means you'll likely be ineligible for student finance at the moment.

Kind regards,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi David,

Unfortunately I can't give any advice on the criteria with universities.

You are correct though, part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is 3 years residency in the UK before the first day of the first academic year, unless your time abroad was of a temporary nature.

I can definitely appreciate your frustration in your situation however I do know that this means you'll likely be ineligible for student finance at the moment.

Kind regards,

John.

Hi John,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am currently on a ' Temporary Skilled Working Visa'. I was always planning to return to the UK. I believe that this makes my time overseas of a 'Temporary Nature'

Is there anyone i can speak to directly about this.

If so could you point me in the right direction with an email address or contact number.

Thank you for your time and consideration John, I hope you will be able to help me.

Kind regards

David
Original post by daveward1979
Hi John,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am currently on a ' Temporary Skilled Working Visa'. I was always planning to return to the UK. I believe that this makes my time overseas of a 'Temporary Nature'

Is there anyone i can speak to directly about this.

If so could you point me in the right direction with an email address or contact number.

Thank you for your time and consideration John, I hope you will be able to help me.

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

As John advised the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance is three years residency in the UK before the first day of the first academic year and ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

We can accept breaks in residency that were of a temporary nature.

Temporary visas or work permits would be acceptable evidence of a temporary break in residency.

The applications will become available by the end of this month.

You do not need a confirmed place on a course to apply and no payments will be made unless you take up the place.

If you apply online and send clear copies of your evidence you can be confident it will be reviewed by an assessor.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending