The Student Room Group

Question!

Hello! I have applied and have received offers for courses starting in September 2018.
I would definitely need to apply for a tuition loan, and I am just making sure that I am eligible for one.

I am 18 years old and an EU citizen + resident, however, I do not have work experience, and I haven't been living in the UK. I was planning to move at the start of the school year, in August-September. I know that I do not meet the quota to get any support regarding living costs, but my family has assured me that they will assist me with all that.

I will be attending a full-time 3-year course at the University of Hertfordshire, provided that I meet my offer conditions.

Is there any requirement regarding my ability to support myself throughout the years or pay off the loan afterward my course ends?
Original post by ysori
Hello! I have applied and have received offers for courses starting in September 2018.
I would definitely need to apply for a tuition loan, and I am just making sure that I am eligible for one.

I am 18 years old and an EU citizen + resident, however, I do not have work experience, and I haven't been living in the UK. I was planning to move at the start of the school year, in August-September. I know that I do not meet the quota to get any support regarding living costs, but my family has assured me that they will assist me with all that.

I will be attending a full-time 3-year course at the University of Hertfordshire, provided that I meet my offer conditions.

Is there any requirement regarding my ability to support myself throughout the years or pay off the loan afterward my course ends?

Hi Ysori,

If you're an EU national, you'll be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) as long as you have been resident in the EU/EEA 3 years before the first day of the first academic year and are resident in the UK on the first day of the first term of your course.

There is no requirement for you to support yourself throughout the course so don't worry about that. After your course ends you will enter repayment but it is based on your salary. If you are earning over £21000, repayments will automatically be taken out of your salary. Here is the best place to find more information on the repayments side of the student loan.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Ysori,

If you're an EU national, you'll be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) as long as you have been resident in the EU/EEA 3 years before the first day of the first academic year and are resident in the UK on the first day of the first term of your course.

There is no requirement for you to support yourself throughout the course so don't worry about that. After your course ends you will enter repayment but it is based on your salary. If you are earning over £21000, repayments will automatically be taken out of your salary. Here is the best place to find more information on the repayments side of the student loan.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

That's very helpful, thank you John!
Original post by ysori
That's very helpful, thank you John!

You're very welcome and best of luck with your studies.

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending