The Student Room Group

Is it worth it?

So, I have had to move my test from January to March. Now, my test is quite soon.. my driving instructor has recently been making me stop at petrol stations and for toilet breaks. He never used to do this.

I want to change instructors but I don’t want to find a new instructor since my test is so soon. What do I do? I want to tell him off because he always cuts short my lessons.
Original post by MKaur18
So, I have had to move my test from January to March. Now, my test is quite soon.. my driving instructor has recently been making me stop at petrol stations and for toilet breaks. He never used to do this.

I want to change instructors but I don’t want to find a new instructor since my test is so soon. What do I do? I want to tell him off because he always cuts short my lessons.

Suppose it gives you experience of driving into petrol stations.

Is there any aspect of driving you feel needs significant improvement before the test? Maybe he thinks you’re on track to pass so the tuition is becoming relaxed?
Original post by MKaur18

While there are obviously some very good driving instructors, I think the vast majority just try to milk it out for as long as possible so that they can generate the most amout of money out of you. From what I've seen the best way to go about it is to have say 10 lessons learning the more technical stuff such as clutch control and then just do the rest with a member of your family.

Obviously as your test is close you must has most of the technical stuff down could you not just get someone in your family to go out with you?
Reply 3
Original post by Anagogic
While there are obviously some very good driving instructors, I think the vast majority just try to milk it out for as long as possible so that they can generate the most amout of money out of you. From what I've seen the best way to go about it is to have say 10 lessons learning the more technical stuff such as clutch control and then just do the rest with a member of your family.

Obviously as your test is close you must has most of the technical stuff down could you not just get someone in your family to go out with you?

I don't have a manual car to practice on, which is why I have lessons with my instructor.

I feel like he is taking advantage of the lessons. I am most worried about my manoveres to be honest, especially bay parking. :s-smilie: I just don't know whether I should wait it out or not :s-smilie: What should I say to him?

Original post by accountant-future
Suppose it gives you experience of driving into petrol stations.

Is there any aspect of driving you feel needs significant improvement before the test? Maybe he thinks you’re on track to pass so the tuition is becoming relaxed?

I feel like he's purposely trying to waste my time.
Original post by MKaur18
I don't have a manual car to practice on, which is why I have lessons with my instructor.

I feel like he is taking advantage of the lessons. I am most worried about my manoveres to be honest, especially bay parking. :s-smilie: I just don't know whether I should wait it out or not :s-smilie: What should I say to him?

I feel like he's purposely trying to waste my time.

If you feel that way then ask him.

You’re paying for his tuition and if you think he’s doing this on purpose to eat away at your hours then tell him.

To help with bay parking, also look at YouTube videos on it in between lessons.
Reply 5
If you feel that way then ask him.

You’re paying for his tuition and if you think he’s doing this on purpose to eat away at your hours then tell him.

To help with bay parking, also look at YouTube videos on it in between lessons.

I don't want it to be awkward, ygm.

Thanks.
Original post by MKaur18
I don't want it to be awkward, ygm.

Thanks.

It’s not a question of being awkward.

Basically you’re paying for a service to learn to drive, if you aren’t happy with the way it’s going either talk to him about it first before deciding anything (the best way) or look for a new instructor or carry on as you are.

My instructor also did what yours is doing, maybe they were trying to get more money but I passed first time so that balls’d up the plan! :laugh:

I honestly think your instructor believes that you’re at a standard where you can pass the test so taking you to these places (that don’t happen on the test) is giving you real life experience for when you pass.
Reply 7
Original post by MKaur18

Say to him that you're worried about bay parking, and ask to practise it. I doubt many driving instructors are going to be offended or ignore a request such as that.
Reply 8
It’s not a question of being awkward.

Basically you’re paying for a service to learn to drive, if you aren’t happy with the way it’s going either talk to him about it first before deciding anything (the best way) or look for a new instructor or carry on as you are.

My instructor also did what yours is doing, maybe they were trying to get more money but I passed first time so that balls’d up the plan! :laugh:

I honestly think your instructor believes that you’re at a standard where you can pass the test so taking you to these places (that don’t happen on the test) is giving you real life experience for when you pass.

I’ll talk to him on my next lesson. Thanks for the advice. That’s helpful to know from previous experience.
Reply 9
Original post by Dheorl
Say to him that you're worried about bay parking, and ask to practise it. I doubt many driving instructors are going to be offended or ignore a request such as that.

Telling him about practising bay parking isn’t the issue. It was, how to tell him to stop using my time for his pit stops. Ygm?! 😕
Original post by MKaur18
I’ll talk to him on my next lesson. Thanks for the advice. That’s helpful to know from previous experience.

Not a problem, good luck for your test & let us know how it goes!
Reply 11
Original post by MKaur18
Telling him about practising bay parking isn’t the issue. It was, how to tell him to stop using my time for his pit stops. Ygm?! 😕

Just thinking if you give him more specific instructions about what you want to do he may meander around less and get the idea you want to get down to some serious practise again. Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending