The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hello, can I please get an advice on this please. I started my course in September 2017, and applied for student at the time. My application was refused however, Student Finance England told me in November 2017 that, I will qualify for finance from 25th March 2018(because of the 3yr residence rule). I spoke to the University and they were understanding. Am still on the course, can you please advice me how I can go about applying for the finance. Thank you.
Original post by Maself
Hello, can I please get an advice on this please. I started my course in September 2017, and applied for student at the time. My application was refused however, Student Finance England told me in November 2017 that, I will qualify for finance from 25th March 2018(because of the 3yr residence rule). I spoke to the University and they were understanding. Am still on the course, can you please advice me how I can go about applying for the finance. Thank you.

Hi Maself,

Are you applying for EU funding?

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi Maself,

Are you applying for EU funding?

Thanks

Catherine

No, am applying with a Limited Leave to Remain Visa and I’ve live in the U.K for more than 22years which is more than half life. Thanks.
Original post by Maself
No, am applying with a Limited Leave to Remain Visa and I’ve live in the U.K for more than 22years which is more than half life. Thanks.

Hi Maself,

Just to confirm you stated that you have lived in the UK for more than half your life but also said that you did not meet the three years residency requirements before September 1, did you have a break in residency?

Secondly, you have a Limited Leave To Remain, was that granted for Humanitarian Protection and when was it granted ?

Finally, when did you start or plan to start on your course?

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Maself,

Just to confirm you stated that you have lived in the UK for more than half your life but also said that you did not meet the three years residency requirements before September 1, did you have a break in residency?

Secondly, you have a Limited Leave To Remain, was that granted for Humanitarian Protection and when was it granted ?

Finally, when did you start or plan to start on your course?

Thanks Rona

Thanks for the reply Rona.
I came to the UK in 1996 and applied for asylum in the year 2000 which was refused but was given permission to stay by the home office when a final decision was made. That final decision wasn’t made until December 2014 and I was refused. I appealed in the courts and was granted 2.5years limited leave to remain in March 2015 under article 8, because I have an established life in the UK.
I applied for finance in September 2017 academic year when my course started. My application was refused by sfe in December 2017 because they said I haven’t got 3year residency. They told me the period between the year 2000 and March 2015 didn’t count as residency hence I will be eligible from March 2018.
I am still on the course and wanted to know if I can finance from April 2018. Many thanks
Original post by Maself
Thanks for the reply Rona.
I came to the UK in 1996 and applied for asylum in the year 2000 which was refused but was given permission to stay by the home office when a final decision was made. That final decision wasn’t made until December 2014 and I was refused. I appealed in the courts and was granted 2.5years limited leave to remain in March 2015 under article 8, because I have an established life in the UK.
I applied for finance in September 2017 academic year when my course started. My application was refused by sfe in December 2017 because they said I haven’t got 3year residency. They told me the period between the year 2000 and March 2015 didn’t count as residency hence I will be eligible from March 2018.
I am still on the course and wanted to know if I can finance from April 2018. Many thanks

Hi Maself,

Can I ask you another question you were granted Limited Leave to Remain in March 2015, when does that expire and was it granted for Humanitarian Protection?

Secondly, what was your previous Home Office status prior to March 2015?

Thanks Rona
Reply 6
Hi Maself,

Can I ask you another question you were granted Limited Leave to Remain in March 2015, when does that expire and was it granted for Humanitarian Protection?

Secondly, what was your previous Home Office status prior to March 2015?

Thanks Rona

No, it wasn’t granted for humanitarian protection, it was granted because I had an established family and personal life in the UK. It expired in September 2017 and have applied to renew it.

Secondly, as I said before, I had to wait for 14years before a final decision was made on my asylum application. The home office told me my application was part of the delayed “Legacy Cases”.
Original post by Maself
No, it wasn’t granted for humanitarian protection, it was granted because I had an established family and personal life in the UK. It expired in September 2017 and have applied to renew it.

Secondly, as I said before, I had to wait for 14years before a final decision was made on my asylum application. The home office told me my application was part of the delayed “Legacy Cases”.

Hi Maself,

What was your previous Home Office status prior to March 2015 ?

Thanks Rona
Reply 8
Hi Maself,

What was your previous Home Office status prior to March 2015 ?

Thanks Rona

Asylum Seeker. Thanks
Original post by Maself
Asylum Seeker. Thanks

Hi Maself,

In order to be eligible for support you need to have three years lawful residence in the UK prior to the start of the first academic year of your course to be assessed under the long residency category.

That means in all cases,you will also need to demonstrate three years ordinary lawful residence in the UK immediately before the start of your course, and meet other relevant eligibility criteria to be able to access student support.

You said that your Limited Leave to Remain expired in September 2017, what is your current Home Office status?

Thanks Rona
Reply 10
Hi Maself,

In order to be eligible for support you need to have three years lawful residence in the UK prior to the start of the first academic year of your course to be assessed under the long residency category.

That means in all cases,you will also need to demonstrate three years ordinary lawful residence in the UK immediately before the start of your course, and meet other relevant eligibility criteria to be able to access student support.

You said that your Limited Leave to Remain expired in September 2017, what is your current Home Office status?

Thanks Rona

I applied to renew the Limited Leave to Remain before the last one expired. From the last correspondence with the home office, I should get the LLR renewed in the next couple of weeks.

Also, can you please clarify if an asylum seeker is considered as a lawful resident.
Original post by Maself
I applied to renew the Limited Leave to Remain before the last one expired. From the last correspondence with the home office, I should get the LLR renewed in the next couple of weeks.

Also, can you please clarify if an asylum seeker is considered as a lawful resident.

Hi Maself,

We are unable to discuss specific accounts on The Student Room,and we would require to access your account to check your previous application.
I suggest if you can contact us on Facebook or Twitter we maybe able to give further information on your eligibility for funding or alternatively you can call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending