The Student Room Group

GYG 2018/19: I got into University! Now what?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nyxnko_
Yep.
We're having too much fun with this :tongue:

Can't blame us, it's so addictive! :colondollar:
Tag please!! :smile:
Original post by Simbess
Tag please!! :smile:

Done! :h:
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Can't blame us, it's so addictive! :colondollar:

It is very :laugh:
Original post by nyxnko_
It is very :laugh:

I don't know whether to stop or keep going because it looks like we're gonna be here for ages :lol:
I don't know whether to stop or keep going because it looks like we're gonna be here for ages :lol:

I know right? But it feels like such a waste to just stop. :colondollar:
Will be following this :smile:
Did you transfer/? i didn't know you could skip years lol
Original post by nyxnko_
I know right? But it feels like such a waste to just stop. :colondollar:

Hehehehe now you said that I can't stop :colone:
Original post by Labrador99
Will be following this :smile:

:heart: :h:

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Did you transfer/? i didn't know you could skip years lol

Nah basically the Scottish system is different to the English system - in Scotland the universities do 4 year BSc degrees, where the 1st year is the equivalent level of A Level Further Maths (as the 'Scottish equivalent' of A Levels are Highers, which are slightly easier (kinda like AS Levels?)), so I only need to do the 3 years like you'd typically do in an English degree :smile:

Now that people are starting to make their GYG and freshers blogs for the new year, I'd thought I'd hop back onto the bandwagon myself! If you'd like to catch up with how my A Levels went (including my pretty chaotic Year 12 story), check out my GYG from last year here! :nyan:

So I've been deliberating a lot over whether to start a new GYG or a freshers blog, but I considered my main aim for this year, which is to try my absolute best academically, avoiding as much procrastination as I can (unlike last year lol). So, I found myself back here for another year, plus I can just include all the freshers type things on here anyway. I also kind of want to prove to myself that I can maintain a GYG blog throughout the year and I don't have to abandon it completely :lol: as my past experience would say otherwise… (Also, if I update it regularly, then maybe you lovely people won't have to scan through my ridiculously long essays, trying to catch up on all the stuff I've missed, like exhibit A lol)

Now for the juicy info!

University

Spoiler

GCSEs

Spoiler

A Levels

Spoiler

Goals For This Year

Spoiler

Contents

Spoiler

Important Dates

Spoiler

Well done for getting such amazing grades and getting into St Andrews!!! :thumbsup:
I'm interested in applying to St Andrews as an aspirational (unrealistic but meh) choice (for comp sci) and want to apply for direct 2nd year entry, and all it says is that its "offered to students with excellent Advanced Higher, A-Level or International Baccalaureate qualifications." Does this mean your predicted grades had to be higher than the standard offer?
Tag me too btw :h:
Original post by Shadowdraconis
Well done for getting such amazing grades and getting into St Andrews!!! :thumbsup:
I'm interested in applying to St Andrews as an aspirational (unrealistic but meh) choice (for comp sci) and want to apply for direct 2nd year entry, and all it says is that its "offered to students with excellent Advanced Higher, A-Level or International Baccalaureate qualifications." Does this mean your predicted grades had to be higher than the standard offer?
Tag me too btw :h:

Hellooo :hello: and thank you very much! I'm sure St Andrews is perfectly realistic for you and you're just being modest hehe :u: Hmm interesting, for Maths direct 2nd year entry, they specified that you need A*AA with A*A in Maths and Further Maths respectively, when the standard offer for Maths normal entry is A*AA, so they were quite specific on the website. May I ask what subjects you're doing for A Level (or whatever qualification you're doing)?

The statement they made seems quite vague so I'm not sure what it means, but in terms of predicted grades, it would be hugely beneficial for your predicted grades to be higher than the standard offer. St Andrews is a tiny university, so is heavily oversubscribed, especially for Computer Science (one of the UG courses St Andrews is most known for if I'm not mistaken), and I know very few people who got offers with predicted grades the same as the standard offer for Maths this year (since you're looking at a cohort of applicants who have similarly achieved high GCSE grades, and have written a great (or decent at least) personal statement, so predicted grades also play a huge part in deciding who to give offers to, as of course a person who ticks all 3 boxes is more likely to receive an offer than someone who ticks 1 or 2).

I'm not an expert on this so it might be worthwhile to email admissions, asking what they mean by 'excellent Advanced Higher, A Level or International Baccalaureate qualifications' in terms of applying for Computer Science. Hope the stuff I said was helpful though :smile:
Hellooo :hello: and thank you very much! I'm sure St Andrews is perfectly realistic for you and you're just being modest hehe :u: Hmm interesting, for Maths direct 2nd year entry, they specified that you need A*AA with A*A in Maths and Further Maths respectively, when the standard offer for Maths normal entry is A*AA, so they were quite specific on the website. May I ask what subjects you're doing for A Level (or whatever qualification you're doing)?

The statement they made seems quite vague so I'm not sure what it means, but in terms of predicted grades, it would be hugely beneficial for your predicted grades to be higher than the standard offer. St Andrews is a tiny university, so is heavily oversubscribed, especially for Computer Science (one of the UG courses St Andrews is most known for if I'm not mistaken), and I know very few people who got offers with predicted grades the same as the standard offer for Maths this year (since you're looking at a cohort of applicants who have similarly achieved high GCSE grades, and have written a great (or decent at least) personal statement, so predicted grades also play a huge part in deciding who to give offers to, as of course a person who ticks all 3 boxes is more likely to receive an offer than someone who ticks 1 or 2).

I'm not an expert on this so it might be worthwhile to email admissions, asking what they mean by 'excellent Advanced Higher, A Level or International Baccalaureate qualifications' in terms of applying for Computer Science. Hope the stuff I said was helpful though :smile:

I'm doing Comp Sci, Maths and Bio. (In the best case I'm going to be predicted A*AB:cry:) and the requirement is AAA.
Thanks so much for the really informative reply, it was really helpful! :smile: I emailed CS admissions a few days ago but they haven't got back to me yet.
I'm doing Comp Sci, Maths and Bio. (In the best case I'm going to be predicted A*AB:cry:) and the requirement is AAA.
Thanks so much for the really informative reply, it was really helpful! :smile: I emailed CS admissions a few days ago but they haven't got back to me yet.

Ah okay! Do you think there's any way you could get your Bio predicted grade bumped up to A? Maybe speak to your teacher when you're back at school and say you're willing to work hard to get it? Hope you get a reply soon and update me on how things go! :h:
Ah okay! Do you think there's any way you could get your Bio predicted grade bumped up to A? Maybe speak to your teacher when you're back at school and say you're willing to work hard to get it? Hope you get a reply soon and update me on how things go! :h:

Maybe, I'm going to try but it's very unlikely. :frown: It's mostly so low because I really struggled with it at the beginning of year 12 (like the first term), getting C's/D's in topic tests and worked my butt off and towards the end of the year was getting A's/B's but my grade average was still a low B at the end of the year.
Thanks, will do!
Hehe :biggrin: Just one more year and you'll be at uni doing modules like these before you know it! :woo: And noted! :h:

Think most the first year of the courses I'm looking at are set though so won't have quite the same excitement :sadnod:
Maybe, I'm going to try but it's very unlikely. :frown: It's mostly so low because I really struggled with it at the beginning of year 12 (like the first term), getting C's/D's in topic tests and worked my butt off and towards the end of the year was getting A's/B's but my grade average was still a low B at the end of the year.
Thanks, will do!

Incredibly well done for working hard to get where you are right now - raising grades are so much harder during A Level than say, GCSE, (especially in a science subject) so the fact that you managed to do that is really great! A2 will get tough but the main thing to do is just persevere and keep ploughing through the content, making sure you understand everything completely before moving on (check this by doing practice questions). Keep on working hard and persuade your teacher you're capable because you've got this! :hugs:
Original post by Lemur14
Think most the first year of the courses I'm looking at are set though so won't have quite the same excitement :sadnod:

Which courses are you looking at? (apart from Oxford of course hehe :colondollar:)
:heart: :h:

Nah basically the Scottish system is different to the English system - in Scotland the universities do 4 year BSc degrees, where the 1st year is the equivalent level of A Level Further Maths (as the 'Scottish equivalent' of A Levels are Highers, which are slightly easier (kinda like AS Levels?)), so I only need to do the 3 years like you'd typically do in an English degree :smile:

Ah okay cool
Hehehehe now you said that I can't stop :colone:

Okay then, I'll stop :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending