The Student Room Group

withdrawing a UCAS application and resubmit

if I apply to uni and withdraw within 2 weeks. Will I get a refund and will I be able to send off another application/ write another personal statement if I decide it was the wrong course?
Original post by Anonymous
if I apply to uni and withdraw within 2 weeks. Will I get a refund and will I be able to send off another application/ write another personal statement if I decide it was the wrong course?

Technically yes. It’s not a great idea though. Better to wait and apply later when you are happier with your choice
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Technically yes. It’s not a great idea though. Better to wait and apply later when you are happier with your choice

but if you wait longer than 2 weeks to cancel, can you still submit another application?
but if you wait longer than 2 weeks to cancel, can you still submit another application?

I meant better to wait and not apply the first time for a course you’re not sure about.

If you have already applied to a course that you regret then you can’t wait. But you should not rush in a replacement application. If you’re this unsure then there’s a high chance you’ll end up panicking and picking a course or university that you regret. Better to cancel and plan to take a gap year to be absolutely confident.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
I meant better to wait and not apply the first time for a course you’re not sure about.

If you have already applied to a course that you regret then you can’t wait. But you should not rush in a replacement application. If you’re this unsure then there’s a high chance you’ll end up panicking and picking a course or university that you regret. Better to cancel and plan to take a gap year to be absolutely confident.

I'm already on a Gap Year, and not going to take another one. Wasn't sure what to do last year, hence why I'm on a gap year so i'm just going to have to decide and go now. I applied for medicine but i'm not sure about it. Should I keep my application in, and not rush to withdraw it, and then perhaps have to just call up unis asking if they'll let me in even though my PS is for medicine. Or should I withdraw my application for medicine? I am so confused and my life is a mess. This has made me feel so low over the past year.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ

I'm already on a Gap Year, and not going to take another one. Wasn't sure what to do last year, hence why I'm on a gap year so i'm just going to have to decide and go now. I applied for medicine but i'm not sure about it. Should I keep my application in, and not rush to withdraw it, and then perhaps have to just call up unis asking if they'll let me in even though my PS is for medicine. Or should I withdraw my application for medicine? I am so confused and my life is a mess. This has made me feel so low over the past year. If I take another gap year, I'm still not going to be sure- I just need to decide now.
I'm already on a Gap Year, and not going to take another one. Wasn't sure what to do last year, hence why I'm on a gap year so i'm just going to have to decide and go now. I applied for medicine but i'm not sure about it. Should I keep my application in, and not rush to withdraw it, and then perhaps have to just call up unis asking if they'll let me in even though my PS is for medicine. Or should I withdraw my application for medicine? I am so confused and my life is a mess. This has made me feel so low over the past year. If I take another gap year, I'm still not going to be sure- I just need to decide now.

What would you do if you withdrew your medicine application?
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
What would you do if you withdrew your medicine application?

Not entirely sure. Something maths/ science related. But it gives me 3 ish months + ucas extra to apply. Whereas if I don't withdraw, I'm stuck with a medicine personal statement and worry that maths/ science courses will reject me and I'll be forced to take a 2nd gap year.
Not entirely sure. Something maths/ science related. But it gives me 3 ish months + ucas extra to apply. Whereas if I don't withdraw, I'm stuck with a medicine personal statement and worry that maths/ science courses will reject me and I'll be forced to take a 2nd gap year.

There’s very few maths/science courses that won’t accept you with a medicine PS. You could substitute a choice or two (within the 14 days) and/or ask the universities that you have applied to for medicine to consider you for other courses later on.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
There’s very few maths/science courses that won’t accept you with a medicine PS. You could substitute a choice or two (within the 14 days) and/or ask the universities that you have applied to for medicine to consider you for other courses later on.

ok thanks for your help. would be a good idea but the unis I have applied to for medicine are not very good unis for other subjects- eg. lincoln, keele, cardiff etc. when I could aim a bit higher for other subjects
ok thanks for your help. would be a good idea but the unis I have applied to for medicine are not very good unis for other subjects- eg. lincoln, keele, cardiff etc. when I could aim a bit higher for other subjects

Cardiff is a brilliant university. I get that Lincoln and keele aren’t really known for demanding a string of A grades for their science courses.

You’d be surprised how many options are available in Extra and clearing for science courses.

It’s really down to you to decide whether you are confident that you definitely don’t want to do medicine anymore. Is this just a lack of confidence or a genuine change of heart that you would be happy with long term.

Maybe think to yourself what you would do if you got an offer or more for medicine.
Original post by PQ
Cardiff is a brilliant university. I get that Lincoln and keele aren’t really known for demanding a string of A grades for their science courses.

You’d be surprised how many options are available in Extra and clearing for science courses.

It’s really down to you to decide whether you are confident that you definitely don’t want to do medicine anymore. Is this just a lack of confidence or a genuine change of heart that you would be happy with long term.

Maybe think to yourself what you would do if you got an offer or more for medicine.

thanks so much for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending