The Student Room Group

Just converted to Islam, any advice from brothers and sisters?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katherinecroft
I feel the Jewish faith is quite similar to Islam in terms of focal objectives, which is to the worship the one true Lord in utter and absolute monotheism.

Alright that’s nice to hear. I would say Christianity is also similar and these three faiths are called Abrahamic faiths for a reason. Christians, Muslims and Jews are all people of the book :smile:
Original post by Professional G
Alright that’s nice to hear. I would say Christianity is also similar and these three faiths are called Abrahamic faiths for a reason. Christians, Muslims and Jews are all people of the book :smile:

Yes I agree with you however I do believe monotheism has been forsaken by modern day Christians.
Yes I agree with you however I do believe monotheism has been forsaken by modern day Christians.

I think you’re talking about the holy trinity. It’s still monotheism. It basically means we believe in one God and He is in three forms. God the Father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit. It’s still praying to God and it’s why he have the Lord’s Prayer - we pray to one God, Father Almighty.
I think you’re talking about the holy trinity. It’s still monotheism. It basically means we believe in one God and He is in three forms. God the Father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit. It’s still praying to God and it’s why he have the Lord’s Prayer - we pray to one God, Father Almighty.

I have respect for Christians but I do not believe the concept of the trinity is in line with the historic prophetic tradition, I also think the idea of a God incarnate is quite blasphemous and does not hold true to the teachings of established revelation.
Depends who they are, I love my Christian parents and relatives. But other than that I don’t really feel that much about them :smile:

Are they going to hell?
I have respect for Christians but I do not believe the concept of the trinity is in line with the historic prophetic tradition, I also think the idea of a God incarnate is quite blasphemous and does not hold true to the teachings of established revelation.

Each to their own I guess. I and many, many Christians still believe in Monotheism. I mean explaining it is only one part. You need to be a Christian /read the bible to understand how the trinity works. I still believe that all three faiths are similar and are all people of the book.
Original post by RogerOxon
Are they going to hell?

From the words of Imam At Tahawi, we Ahlus Sunnah ‘do not place anyone in Jannah nor do we place them in the fire’. I’m in accordance with that view, that placing ppl in hell/heaven is God’s job and well(x100) above my pay grade!
From the words of Imam At Tahawi, we Ahlus Sunnah ‘do not place anyone in Jannah nor do we place them in the fire’. I’m in accordance with that view, that placing ppl in hell/heaven is God’s job and well(x100) above my pay grade!

How would you react if they were sent to hell though?
Are you going to do anything to help them avoid the possibility?
Each to their own I guess. I and many, many Christians still believe in Monotheism. I mean explaining it is only one part. You need to be a Christian /read the bible to understand how the trinity works. I still believe that all three faiths are similar and are all people of the book.

Yes, all three faiths are incredibly similar in terms of prophets, teachings of morality, the rights of neighbours (which is exclusively emphasised in the Abrahamic traditions) etc.

And we must to do more to unite upon the call to worship God in His oneness! :smile:
Since the age of 14 I’ve wanted to take this step, after another 3 years of exploration, on this day, I made the best decision in my life by accepting this faith. I’d like to interact with and hopefully make more friends from the ummah!

Do you think 'free will' exists or do you consider humans and our fellow animals ultimately to be biological machines responding to stimuli, like a computer to an input?
How would you react if they were sent to hell though?
Are you going to do anything to help them avoid the possibility?

I. I cannot react to something beyond my human capabilities of comprehension.

II. I hope by spreading the true message of Islam, I can help people see there’s more to life than this ‘bulimic society’, attempting to destroy every facet of faith which was already instilled in us!
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Do you think 'free will' exists or do you consider humans and our fellow animals ultimately to be biological machines responding to stimuli, like a computer to an input?

Yes I think that free will exists.
I. I cannot react to something beyond my human capabilities of comprehension.

Why is that beyond your comprehension? I understand that the god that you believe in is, but not the prospect of non-Muslims being sent to hell.
Why is that beyond your comprehension? I understand that the god that you believe in is, but not the prospect of non-Muslims being sent to hell.

Hell is beyond my comprehension, as it is unlike anything my mind can generate.

Non-Muslims being sent to hell? The fact that there will be some people who are sent to Hell is a reality but I can’t describe the intricacies.
@RogerOxon The only people ik who will be sent to hell are those who have been namely sentenced by Allah or his Rasūl PBUH.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hell is beyond my comprehension, as it is unlike anything my mind can generate.

Non-Muslims being sent to hell? The fact that there will be some people who are sent to Hell is a reality but I can’t describe the intricacies.

You believe that it's really bad though. Don't you worry that people you care about, including yourself, might be sent for eternal torture by a 'loving' god? I would be.
(edited 5 years ago)
You believe that it's really bad though. Don't you worry that people you care about, including yourself, might be sent for eternal torture by a 'loving' god? I would be.

Ofc I worry but I try to be equally optimistic that they will receive guidance, I believe my reversion to the faith places my family in a better position to see through all the misguidance
(edited 5 years ago)
Ofc I worry but I try to be equally optimistic that they will receive guidance, I believe my reversion to the faith will places my family in a better position to see through all the misguidance

They could well think the same from their side.

Anyway, thank you for your open replies. It's good to try to understand others, IMO. I'll leave it there.

Nobody goes to hell forever, it’s more like a hospital.
oh boy...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending