The Student Room Group

Former Anti now desperate to try a cigarette

I'm 23 and female. I'm from an anti smoking family. And always hated it. But for the past year, I've been obsessed with the idea of it. I know all the health risks and I'm a rediculous healthy person. Please don't be rude and abuse me. I'm human and can't help how I feel. Curious to know if anyone else feels the same? Opinions on how people started smoking?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I get the urge and I do smoke sometimes if offered a cig but other than that it is something completely unnecessary in your life which has a huge impact on your health. It’s a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY as well as in essence you are literally burning a tenner every packet you buy.

My advise is try if you want to but do not invest in it as it is pointless.
Yes I smoke, would like to give up but it is getting a bit of an addiction for me now.
Reply 3
Glad to know I'm not the only one tempted. Have you ever tried?
Reply 4
Original post by username4471384
Yes I smoke, would like to give up but it is getting a bit of an addiction for me now.

Why did you start? Xx
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I get the urge and I do smoke sometimes if offered a cig but other than that it is something completely unnecessary in your life which has a huge impact on your health. It’s a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY as well as in essence you are literally burning a tenner every packet you buy.

My advise is try if you want to but do not invest in it as it is pointless.

Sorry I misread. How often do you do it?
Reply 6
To the topic starter there's nothing wrong with trying smoking per se, but it can be very addictive depending on the person. I was a social smoker for about 10 years and not addicted and could smoke a few cigarettes at the pub or on a night out and then go without smoking for weeks without thinking anything of it, and yes I did inhale. It was only when I got a job one summer in a bar where everyone smoked that that changed, and I suddenly found myself hooked. At first I was in denial about waking up every morning desperate for a cigarette, but then I went to my parents for a weekend and spent three days going crazy for a cigarette and realised I couldn't stop. I then smoked solidly for a few years before finally quitting because I got bronchitis and it was so bad I couldn't walk. I quit in hospital on doctors orders and went cold turkey and it was one of the most horrible and difficult things I have ever done. I would start again because I loved smoking, but the thought of being addicted again and getting ill again just isn't appealing so I haven't.
smoking is sad and uncool. your call.
just get that juuul bro
I'm 18 and been smoking since 15/16. Started doing it at parties when drinking, burn through a 20 deck in a night. I was one of the first but everyone ended up smoking at parties. Then we started doing it after school, then during breaks at school. Now I'm on about 10 a day (roll ups so its only about 15 quid a week.) I'm not actually addicted, as in I go days without smoking sometimes without even making much effort but its just part of my routine now, so if I'm waiting for a bus and its 10 mins away I'll just be bored out my nut as theres nothing to do. Time goes much quicker when smoking, I don't know if its just me but I could just be sitting there with noting to do for an hour as long as I've got cigs I won't be bored. But on family holidays I go weeks without smoking so I know im not addicted. But i'm probably just lucky, most people get addicted easier so my advice is don't bother starting. Having some when offered is fine but don't buy packs.
Nicotine is a rubbish drug. Smoking does nothing for you except prevent you from wanting a ciggie while the effects last. Pointless, expensive, and potentially lethal. Watch someone you care about die of lung cancer, throat or mouth cancer, COPD, heart attack or stroke and ask yourself why you are still smoking.

Also, it makes you smell like a dirty ashtray.

And all to make a profit for tobacco companies.
(edited 5 years ago)
Since you haven’t tried it yet, I’ll let you know that it feels like your insides are burning. If you are very curious, try it and you’ll figure it out yourself that it is an absolute waste of a thing. Life threatening and extremely uncool.
I'd recommend trying things just for the experience of knowing what its like (not just cigarettes), but obviously smoking isn't the best thing to make a habit
Original post by batter mix
Since you haven’t tried it yet, I’ll let you know that it feels like your insides are burning. If you are very curious, try it and you’ll figure it out yourself that it is an absolute waste of a thing. Life threatening and extremely uncool.

The cough and thick mucus are a nice touch, too.
Original post by the bear
smoking is sad and uncool. your call.

Says the person with a pepe profile picture?
Original post by Going Back
Nicotine is a rubbish drug.

It is a great appetite suppressant.
Original post by Laminae
Says the person with a pepe profile picture?

says the person with a toddler's train profile picture ?
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry I misread. How often do you do it?

Sorry for not making it clear, I don’t buy and smoke cigarettes on a regular basis. I only really smoke if someone offers me a cig just so that there not standing there along.

Generally I smoke around 20 cigs a month ish I’d say
I bought a pack. Felt so excited buying them. Not tried yet though.
I finally tried. I coughed but finished the full cigarette. I love how dizzy it made me. Really looking forward to trying another

Quick Reply

Latest