The Student Room Group

Parents income - benefits

Hi , my mum and dad both do not work and are on income releated benefits and my dad has personal independence payments. My mum however does have a carers allowance due to caring for my dad which I believe is a taxable benefit? Does this mean in the household income box she just puts how much she earns from carers and disregards the rest ? So my household income would only state carers allowance and nothing else ?
Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
If your parents get taxable benefits of any kind (even if they don’t get above the personal tax threshold) then DWP will have sent them a P60U in April 2018. That’s where you can find the details to put in the household income information.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If your parents get taxable benefits of any kind (even if they don’t get above the personal tax threshold) then DWP will have sent them a P60U in April 2018. That’s where you can find the details to put in the household income information.

Hi thank you for your reply. My mum said she doesn't have hers she has a letter with the amount she gets for carers which is around 60 pound a week. So would she just include her yearly amount which is around 3,000 for her and forget her others due to them not being taxable income. Thank you
Original post by Emma1999_
Hi thank you for your reply. My mum said she doesn't have hers she has a letter with the amount she gets for carers which is around 60 pound a week. So would she just include her yearly amount which is around 3,000 for her and forget her others due to them not being taxable income. Thank you

Hi Emma,

That is correct.

Here's a list of Taxable Benefits:

-Bereavement Allowance (replaced Widow’s Pension from 09/04/2001- although Widow's Pension is still paid to widows whose entitlement arose before 09/04/2001)
-Bereavement Benefit
-Care Allowance
-Employment Support Allowance (contributory based only as income based is not taxable)
-Income Support when paid to strikers or people involved in a trade dispute
-Payments of Incapacity Benefit over 28 weeks
-Pensions payable under the Industrial death Benefit Scheme
-Jobseeker’s Allowance
-Retirement Pension - includes state pension
-Statutory Adoption Pay
-Statutory Sick Pay
-Statutory Maternity Pay
-Statutory Paternity Pay
-Widowed Parents Allowance

And Non-Taxable Benefits:

-Attendance Allowance
-Back to Work Bonus
-Bereavement Payment replaced Widow’s Payment from 09/04/2001
-Child Benefit
-Child Tax Credit
-Child’s Special Allowance
-Cold weather Payments
-Council Tax Benefit administered by Local Authorities
-Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
-Disabled Person’s Tax Credit, now part of Working Tax Credit
-Employment Support Allowance (income based only)
-Exceptionally Severe Disablement allowance
-Guardians Allowance
-Housing benefit
-Incapacity Benefit is non taxable for the first 28 weeks of entitlement (However if the Incapacity benefit has been awarded prior to 13 April 1995 the claimant will never have to pay tax on it, it is non taxable income and was previously referred to as Invalidity Benefit)
-Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
-Income Support most payment
-Maternity Allowance
-Pension Credit
-Pensioner’s Christmas Bonus
-Personal Independence Payment (replacement for DLA)
-Social Fund payments to people on a low income to help with maternity expenses, funeral costs, financial crisis and community care grants and any interest free loans paid out
-Universal Credit
-War Widows Pension
-War Disablement Pension
-Winter Fuel Payment
-Working Tax Credit

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Nihad
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Okay brillant thank you so my dads will be 0 for his income and my mums income will just be her carers at 3,000 ?
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi Emma,

That is correct.

Here's a list of Taxable Benefits:

-Bereavement Allowance (replaced Widow’s Pension from 09/04/2001- although Widow's Pension is still paid to widows whose entitlement arose before 09/04/2001)
-Bereavement Benefit
-Care Allowance
-Employment Support Allowance (contributory based only as income based is not taxable)
-Income Support when paid to strikers or people involved in a trade dispute
-Payments of Incapacity Benefit over 28 weeks
-Pensions payable under the Industrial death Benefit Scheme
-Jobseeker’s Allowance
-Retirement Pension - includes state pension
-Statutory Adoption Pay
-Statutory Sick Pay
-Statutory Maternity Pay
-Statutory Paternity Pay
-Widowed Parents Allowance

And Non-Taxable Benefits:

-Attendance Allowance
-Back to Work Bonus
-Bereavement Payment replaced Widow’s Payment from 09/04/2001
-Child Benefit
-Child Tax Credit
-Child’s Special Allowance
-Cold weather Payments
-Council Tax Benefit administered by Local Authorities
-Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
-Disabled Person’s Tax Credit, now part of Working Tax Credit
-Employment Support Allowance (income based only)
-Exceptionally Severe Disablement allowance
-Guardians Allowance
-Housing benefit
-Incapacity Benefit is non taxable for the first 28 weeks of entitlement (However if the Incapacity benefit has been awarded prior to 13 April 1995 the claimant will never have to pay tax on it, it is non taxable income and was previously referred to as Invalidity Benefit)
-Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
-Income Support most payment
-Maternity Allowance
-Pension Credit
-Pensioner’s Christmas Bonus
-Personal Independence Payment (replacement for DLA)
-Social Fund payments to people on a low income to help with maternity expenses, funeral costs, financial crisis and community care grants and any interest free loans paid out
-Universal Credit
-War Widows Pension
-War Disablement Pension
-Winter Fuel Payment
-Working Tax Credit

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Nihad
Okay brillant thank you so my dads will be 0 for his income and my mums income will just be her carers at 3,000 ?

Hi Emma,

If that is the only taxable income she's earned and he's had none then yes. Your dad may be asked to prove this to which he can return a signed and dated letter confirming he had no income if he's unable to produce evidence.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 6
He has a letter that shows he gets income esa and pip would these be accepted as proof that he gets this and has had no taxable income ?
Thank you
Hi Emma,

If that is the only taxable income she's earned and he's had none then yes. Your dad may be asked to prove this to which he can return a signed and dated letter confirming he had no income if he's unable to produce evidence.

Regards,
Nihad
He has a letter that shows he gets income esa and pip would these be accepted as proof that he gets this and has had no taxable income ?
Thank you

Hi there,

This would not prove that he doesn't have taxable income, but your mother is able to write him a letter to advise that she was supporting him during the relevant tax year. He can also accompany this with his own letter to say he doesn't have a taxable income. There is no requirement for you to source evidence, this will be accepted as is so don't feel pressured to go through any trouble trying to get this. It is also worth noting that we have internal processes to verify income so the evidence will only be required if necessary, you may or may not be asked for it.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 8
Okay thank you so my mum because she is his carer would be able to write a letter confirming he doesn't work due to his disability and thank you for all your help
Hi there,

This would not prove that he doesn't have taxable income, but your mother is able to write him a letter to advise that she was supporting him during the relevant tax year. He can also accompany this with his own letter to say he doesn't have a taxable income. There is no requirement for you to source evidence, this will be accepted as is so don't feel pressured to go through any trouble trying to get this. It is also worth noting that we have internal processes to verify income so the evidence will only be required if necessary, you may or may not be asked for it.

Regards,
Nihad
Okay thank you so my mum because she is his carer would be able to write a letter confirming he doesn't work due to his disability and thank you for all your help

If required then yes, but if we do not ask for it then there is nothing for you to send in regards to this. Best wishes, Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending