The Student Room Group

Scotland tuition fees??

Hi guys, can anyone help me??

So I was born and have lived in England all my life, so eligible for tuition and maintenance loans, but my parents are from an EU country outside of the UK. I have dual nationality. Can I apply to get reduced/ exempt from tuition fees in Scotland do you? And if so, do I still get maintenance loan?

Thanks for any help as I know I'm not the only wondering this! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by risinggibberish

So I was born and have lived in England all my life, so eligible for tuition and maintenance loans, but my parents are from an EU country outside of the UK. I have dual nationality. Can I apply to get reduced/ exempt from tuition fees in Scotland do you? And if so, do I still get maintenance loan?

Yes it’s possible for someone eligible for funding from Student finance England to be eligible for EU fee rates at a Scottish university. You’d still get a maintenance loan - the university just wouldn’t ask SLC for any tuition fees.

Scottish universities have severely capped places for Scottish and EU students - while you may be exempt from fees there is also much greater competition to get an offer.

Hi there,

Are you considering applying to SAAS instead?

Thanks, Ferne
@PQ Ah right, I thought it was something along these lines, but needed confirmation since the difference in paying England and EU fees are significant.
I wasn't aware of the increased competition, it is something to keep in mind. Many thanks for your help
Original post by Ferne SFE
Hi there,

Are you considering applying to SAAS instead?

Thanks, Ferne

@Ferne SFE Hi, I'd be applying to Student Finance England since my 4 other university choices (not in Scotland) would require both a tuition and a maintenance loan. I would like to inform myself more on what applying to SAAS would entail because my sixth form isn't being helpful at all giving me no advice and I'm struggling to understand the information online from my own research, given that I count as both an English and EU student and there's no specific info about applying as both :s-smilie:
(edited 4 years ago)
@Ferne SFE Hi, I'd be applying to Student Finance England since my 4 other university choices (not in Scotland) would require both a tuition and a maintenance loan. I would like to inform myself more on what applying to SAAS would entail because my sixth form isn't being helpful at all giving me no advice and I'm struggling to understand the information online from my own research, given that I count as both an English and EU student and there's no specific info about applying as both :s-smilie:

EU students have to do the same thing (apply to both SAAS and SFE) if they're applying to scottish and rUK universities. There's not a lot of help/advice but it's fairly common:smile:

https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf is probably helpful in understanding whether you meet the requirements for tuition fee support only or full support. If you are tuition fee support only then you'd get your living costs loan from SFE but would just apply for a £0 tuition fee loan from SFE and the tuition fee support from SAAS. If you're eligible for full support then you couldn't also get a living costs loan from SFE.

You don't apply for SFE for 2020 until February/March 2020 - and SAAS are later (mid April?) - so by that point you should have a clearer idea about your fee status at any Scottish universities and whether you've got an offer from them that you might accept.

Okay, similar to what PQ has mentioned above it would be best to check with SAAS directly to see what your eligibility for funding is if you were to study at the Scottish university as an EU national. You are able to make changes to your Student Finance England application after it has been submitted, meaning you can update your loan request or cancel your application if necessary.

Kind regards, Ferne
@PQ @Ferne SFE Thank you both, the link you sent PQ has helped me a lot and I understand much better now. Just a quick question: I have checked me eligibility (SAAS for the tuition fee support only) and one of the conditions is as follows:
''You have been ordinarily resident in the EU, the EU overseas territories, elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years immediately prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start a course in the autumn term, the 'relevant date' is 1 August.''

Since I'm living in the UK, I am guessing I would meet this criteria? My question is, if the UK leave the EU in October due to Brexit, am I right in thinking that I'd no longer meet it? Just a thought since everything seems to be very much up in the air at the moment.
@PQ @Ferne SFE Thank you both, the link you sent PQ has helped me a lot and I understand much better now. Just a quick question: I have checked me eligibility (SAAS for the tuition fee support only) and one of the conditions is as follows:
''You have been ordinarily resident in the EU, the EU overseas territories, elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years immediately prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start a course in the autumn term, the 'relevant date' is 1 August.''

Since I'm living in the UK, I am guessing I would meet this criteria? My question is, if the UK leave the EU in October due to Brexit, am I right in thinking that I'd no longer meet it? Just a thought since everything seems to be very much up in the air at the moment.

Unfortunately we would only be able to clarify the current position in regards to EU students studying a course in England or Wales. The best option would be to confirm the position on this with SAAS directly just in case anything is different.

Kind regards, Ferne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending