The Student Room Group

CPR Help

Hi there,
I've got a bit of a situation and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
So it's a bit hard to explain but Ive recently applied for a CPR and my application got rejected after sending a letter from my lecturer detailing the reasons why I wasn't able to complete the course I was on.
Overall, I'm wondering if I could still get help with tuition fees for the rest of my course (3 years) without having to go through all of this again.

a little background info:

2017-18 - Foundation course at Glyndwr University
2018-19 - transferred to UoS to study Film studies (1st year) but it didn't work out, after having extremely bad anxiety which can make it extremely difficult to leave the house etc. I realised I was on the wrong course and changed courses before the second year of Film Studies.
2019-now - Currently on my first year of Film Production, tried to get onto the second year as the courses are in the same field (they are extremely different in practice, though!) and I'm now getting bills from my uni because SFW half rejected my application (I get a maintenance loan but no longer get tuition fee loans or WGLG)

The WGLG is due to them losing evidence my mum had sent so I've had to send off copies but it's not my biggest worry atm.

The tuition fees are where I'm struggling. Even if I worked full time and could pay them myself, I wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to the course as there's a lot of self-study hours that need to be put in (filming on set, editing, work experience etc.)

I applied for a CPR and as evidence I submitted a signed letter from a lecturer on Film Studies who I had stayed in contact with on the regular (emailing him when I found that I was struggling to leave the house, help with feedback on work I did and questions about learning materials etc.) - He stated all of this in the letter and that he had referred me to wellbeing counsellors which I had engaged, ultimately helping me realise I wasn't studying what I wanted to study in the first place.

I'm going to speak to an advisor tomorrow morning to see if they can help me out with evidence and have made an appointment with my GP.

Honestly, this has messed up my mental health even further. I had started to become less anxious as I am genuinely feeling more confident about the course I'm now on and overall feel happier but I feel like this has set me back to the damaging mindset I was at last year.

Sorry this has been a lengthy post but like I said, it's a bit of a messy situation!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rach98UoS
Hi there,
I've got a bit of a situation and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
So it's a bit hard to explain but Ive recently applied for a CPR and my application got rejected after sending a letter from my lecturer detailing the reasons why I wasn't able to complete the course I was on.
Overall, I'm wondering if I could still get help with tuition fees for the rest of my course (3 years) without having to go through all of this again.

a little background info:

2017-18 - Foundation course at Glyndwr University
2018-19 - transferred to UoS to study Film studies (1st year) but it didn't work out, after having extremely bad anxiety which can make it extremely difficult to leave the house etc. I realised I was on the wrong course and changed courses before the second year of Film Studies.
2019-now - Currently on my first year of Film Production, tried to get onto the second year as the courses are in the same field (they are extremely different in practice, though!) and I'm now getting bills from my uni because SFW half rejected my application (I get a maintenance loan but no longer get tuition fee loans or WGLG)

The WGLG is due to them losing evidence my mum had sent so I've had to send off copies but it's not my biggest worry atm.

The tuition fees are where I'm struggling. Even if I worked full time and could pay them myself, I wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to the course as there's a lot of self-study hours that need to be put in (filming on set, editing, work experience etc.)

I applied for a CPR and as evidence I submitted a signed letter from a lecturer on Film Studies who I had stayed in contact with on the regular (emailing him when I found that I was struggling to leave the house, help with feedback on work I did and questions about learning materials etc.) - He stated all of this in the letter and that he had referred me to wellbeing counsellors which I had engaged, ultimately helping me realise I wasn't studying what I wanted to study in the first place.

I'm going to speak to an advisor tomorrow morning to see if they can help me out with evidence and have made an appointment with my GP.

Honestly, this has messed up my mental health even further. I had started to become less anxious as I am genuinely feeling more confident about the course I'm now on and overall feel happier but I feel like this has set me back to the damaging mindset I was at last year.

Sorry this has been a lengthy post but like I said, it's a bit of a messy situation!

Hi Rach,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus 1 additional year minus any previous study, whether completed or not. Did you get told why the letter for CPR got rejected? If you wish for us to look into this you can send us a private message on facebook or twitter. Thanks, Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Rach,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus 1 additional year minus any previous study, whether completed or not. Did you get told why the letter for CPR got rejected? If you wish for us to look into this you can send us a private message on facebook or twitter. Thanks, Claire

No, I didn't get anything other than a letter saying they couldn't fund my tuition fees and a bill from my university. I've been in touch with my university so they're giving me some time to sort it. I see that you're from student finance England and the issue I am having is with student finance Wales - would you be able to look into this? I'm not entirely sure how it works with it being Wales and not England or if it matters if that makes sense!
Thanks!
Original post by rach98UoS
No, I didn't get anything other than a letter saying they couldn't fund my tuition fees and a bill from my university. I've been in touch with my university so they're giving me some time to sort it. I see that you're from student finance England and the issue I am having is with student finance Wales - would you be able to look into this? I'm not entirely sure how it works with it being Wales and not England or if it matters if that makes sense!
Thanks!

Hi Rach,

You can contact SFW via telephone - 0300 200 4050.

Thanks, Jen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending