The Student Room Group

Does mental illness count as a disability?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnonymousNoMore
I don't think you can get over being gay now, because it is about behaviour you cannot control. It stems from other factors, which you cannot control.
And its not only genetics that mean you can't get over somethings, it was just the first thought that came to my head if I'm honest.

Then on what basis are you suggesting that you can always get over depression?
Original post by Knortfoxx
Then on what basis are you suggesting that you can always get over depression?

Because it can be treated in every circumstance of it to a full effect.
Because it can be treated in every circumstance of it to a full effect.

What evidence do you have of that?
What evidence do you have of that?

None. What evidence do you have?
None. What evidence do you have?

The NHS page on clinical depression says "most people with depression can make a full recovery." Importantly, it doesn't say all people can make a full recovery - it says most. This wasn't hard to find.

The answer, in reality, is that we don't know if all depression can be entirely cured. Since treatment is still developing, it's possible that at some point we can completely cure all people of depression. However, there are currently no 100% effective treatments.
The NHS page on clinical depression says "most people with depression can make a full recovery." Importantly, it doesn't say all people can make a full recovery - it says most. This wasn't hard to find.

The answer, in reality, is that we don't know if all depression can be entirely cured. Since treatment is still developing, it's possible that at some point we can completely cure all people of depression. However, there are currently no 100% effective treatments.

I don't see how that's proof by any stance, they used to say being gay was an illness. Wad that proof thst being gay is an illness?
Welp, I didn't expect this to get any response, let alone this much... though did expect it to be a lot of polarising opinions lol

Personally, it had completely slipped my mind that the allocated hours are for the vulnerable rather than just anyone with disabilities, but since the definition for that seems to differ from person to person, I guess it's just down to our own perception and doing what we believe is the right thing to do which hopefully works out okay.

Though I find my own illness extremely debilitating and difficult, I'm going to avoid using these allocated hours, but I also understand why others may believe they have the right to use them which isn't my business to judge, so hopefully others don't criticise too much as I see a lot of disagreements in the replies, and hopefully nobody feels their own illnesses or disabilities, etc. have been invalidated either from my asking or reponses in the thread :smile:

Thanks to all the responses though, it's interesting to read and learn more from others about this since it can be a really confusing topic. Thought I'd just say in case my thread produced anything negative rather than the straightforward answer I was hoping for lmao. Take care everyone :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by velvethopes
I've seen my local supermarket has allowed an hour in the morning for the elderly and disabled to be allowed to shop

However as someone who also has been unable to buy anything in over a week which is also excaberated by my depression (diagnosed, if a supermarket would require proof? Though also a digestive disorder), I was wondering if this would make me eligible to shop in the allocated time?

Though, I'm not sure if I'd definitely go if I was allowed since the guilt of using it would probably eat me up inside and I'd also be afraid people would judge me or get annoyed if they weren't allowed in whereas I was, since I guess some may forget not all disabilities are visible,etc etc

Bit of a ramble but just pretty confused and was hoping perhaps anyone had any idea? Though in fairness I understand I probably should be asking the supermarket staff themselves welp

Mental illnesses can be classed as a disability, yes. If you needed that hour to go when it's quieter (though it apparently isn't quieter) because it exacerbated your anxiety for example, I would say you could go. I don't think they're actually checking anyone anyway.

However, this isn't about being disabled, this is about being vulnerable to the coronavirus. It is to allow the elderly to get their things peacefully and for those who could get severely ill to come into contact with less people, as well as to let those in the NHS get a chance to get food.

If you aren't elderly, work in the NHS or have a physical health condition (asthma, diabetes etc.) that makes the need to socially distance even more important due to the threat of severe illness, I would say to go after this time.

Quick Reply

Latest