The Student Room Group

Why do fat girls call themselves curvy?

Just reopening a discussion.

Why though? I mean is it to hide the fact they're fat. It's like trying to make something sound appealing... "Oh I'm not fat, I'm just ***curvy***" wtf? "

"Oh I'm not old, I'm still young at heart."

Err, no. It's just cringe.

As far as I know, your body mass index calculates to a threshold that suggest your weight IS unhealthy and you ARE fat and obese. It suggests you are consuming more than your poor body can take and you burn LESS than what you gobble up. By saying you are curvy is basically a way of believing your outward body condition and shape to be appealing. It's an excuse to get out of the self discipline route of being healthy and sorry Meghan Trainor it is not about the bass because that bass is the sole factor to your gateway ticket to a heart attack or cancer.

Harsh?

Nah, legit facts.

I'm not fat, I'm just currrrrrrrrrrrrrrrvalicious.

Ew.

Scroll to see replies

The word fat throughout the years has developed an overly negative connotation. Sometimes even used as an insult. I guess it is to make themselves feel more proud or to better describe themselves without the negativity. To detach from any perceived negative connotation of their current body state description, if that makes any sense? Which is great.

Edit: did not see your OP, only answered the discussion question. it is quite alarming to see someone spending their time judging and hating people for their literal body energy stores and I am assuming making this thread to have others join in on the shaming and hatred. Get a life :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sos19

Why though? I mean is it to hide the fact they're fat. It's like trying to make something sound appealing... "Oh I'm not fat, I'm just ***curvy***" wtf? "

As far as I know, your body mass index calculates to a threshold that suggest your weight IS unhealthy and you ARE fat and obese. It suggests you are consuming more than your poor body can take and you burn LESS than what you gobble up. By saying you are curvy is basically a way of believing your outward body condition and shape to be appealing. It's an excuse to get out of the self discipline route of being healthy and sorry Meghan Trainor it is not about the bass because that bass is the sole factor to your gateway ticket to a heart attack or cancer.

Harsh?

Nah, legit facts.

Ew.

Meghan Trainor has lost a lot of weight now and she is actually so pretty. I don’t understand why you’re being so negative. If someone wants to call themselves curvy let them :lol: what’s it to you?
Reply 3
There’s a difference between being fat and being healthy curvy but I think it’s mainly down to the connotations the word ‘fat’ has developed. It being used as an insult can be incredibly damaging to people’s mental health. You have to remember that people don’t just choose to be fat. Some gain wait due to conditions out of their control, so using a different word for their body type prevents them from feeling bad about themselves.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Fermion.
Meghan Trainor has lost a lot of weight now and she is actually so pretty. I don’t understand why you’re being so negative. If someone wants to call themselves curvy let them :lol: what’s it to you?

Because it's a flex that is a bit of unrealistic stretch. It's like me looking in the mirror and thinking I'm blonde - reality check: I'm brunette and proud 😉
Original post by sos19

Harsh?

Nah, legit facts.

Ew.

You give yourself away a bit by not being able to resist using the word 'gobble' when you're talking about eating. This is a more of a moralistic judgement dressed up in 'science' - and it's not difficult to see this.

You find fat disgusting and morally lacking - and want to make sure anyone who is fat is sufficiently shamed by using the harshest terms you can think of. By your logic, we shoudl be calling a whole raft of people with disabilities 'deformed', but we don't - and I doubt you would do so either. Why? Because it's not polite...
Original post by sos19
Because it's a flex that is a bit of unrealistic stretch. It's like me looking in the mirror and thinking I'm blonde - reality check: I'm brunette and proud 😉

Chill. Why do you care what people call themselves?
Mate, she and Karen have been regular contributors to TSR since the year dot.
Reply 8
People have a weird obsession with wanting to “humble” bigger women. If they want to call themselves curvy then let them...???
(edited 3 years ago)
because technically they do have curves... many of them
curvy sounds more hot than morbidly obese
Original post by goggleyed
because technically they do have curves... many of them

Yeah, they're one BIG curve. Circles.
If you ain't got anything nice to say then dont say anything at all is my motto!! Just be kind and worry about yourself, no one else!!
imagine spending your night body-shaming/judging people who are just living their life. you seem like a great person!:smile:
Original post by sos19

It can just a more polite way of saying someone is bigger. And also now that I’ve seen Meghan Trainor on Instagram she is definitely curvy - not “fat”. Stop being so rude and maybe don’t concern yourself with people’s weight.

Reality Check is right, imagine going around calling people ******ed who have learning difficulties? Or deformed when they have a disability? You can’t just say that about people. The word “fat” also carries negative connotations.
because the media glamorises obesity and fat people.
Original post by sos19

Harsh?

Nah, legit facts.

Ew.

Bruh ppl have the right to call themselves what they want. Why should other people be so bothered by that 😂😂
Well they wont say look at me l am fat
Reply 18
Original post by Hoodlum123
Yeah, they're one BIG curve. Circles.

Grow up.
Reply 19
ask ye ma

Quick Reply

Latest