The Student Room Group

Will my teacher lose her job because of me?

I was overpredicted in my A level results and made the claim that my teacher had helped me on numerous mock exams and had also looked at and provided feedback on my coursework on multiple occasions (despite instructions from the exam board that it only be moderated once). I’m now starting to regret this confession as I’m starting to realise the implications it may have on not only my teacher but also my cohort and my centre. Can I backtrack on this statement or will an internal investigation be launched either way? If I don’t backtrack, will my teacher come under fire? Would she lose her job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Am I being a bit dim cos I can't see why that claim would benefit you anyway
Original post by Anonymous
I was overpredicted in my A level results and made the claim that my teacher had helped me on numerous mock exams and had also looked at and provided feedback on my coursework on multiple occasions (despite instructions from the exam board that it only be moderated once). I’m now starting to regret this confession as I’m starting to realise the implications it may have on not only my teacher but also my cohort and my centre. Can I backtrack on this statement or will an internal investigation be launched either way? If I don’t backtrack, will my teacher come under fire? Would she lose her job?

Honestly, you've done the right thing. If what you say is true, then your teacher should lose their job. Every year people miss out on places due to teachers overpredicting and fraudulent practice concerning coursework, mocks etc. Her overpredicting now may have cost someone a well earned grade. She deserves to lose her job and I respect you for it. Not so sure about the rest of the centre though. If they can give evidence it was only one teacher engaging in malpractice they should be okay.
Reply 3
Honestly, you've done the right thing. If what you say is true, then your teacher should lose their job. Every year people miss out on places due to teachers overpredicting and fraudulent practice concerning coursework, mocks etc. Her overpredicting now may have cost someone a well earned grade. She deserves to lose her job and I respect you for it. Not so sure about the rest of the centre though. If they can give evidence it was only one teacher engaging in malpractice they should be okay.

Her prediction was in line with my mocks, which I scored highly in (As and A*s), but I’m certain that were i to sit an exam I wouldn’t have got an A as the grade boundaries were often lowered and I had information about mocks prior to sitting them, not solely from my teacher but rather my peers. Most students cheated in mocks due to the way they were sat. I personally don’t think the way the grades were predicted this year is at all fair.
Was your claim true? Who did you make this claim to?
I think a lot of schools over predict. In general.
Her prediction was in line with my mocks, which I scored highly in (As and A*s), but I’m certain that were i to sit an exam I wouldn’t have got an A as the grade boundaries were often lowered and I had information about mocks prior to sitting them, not solely from my teacher but rather my peers. Most students cheated in mocks due to the way they were sat. I personally don’t think the way the grades were predicted this year is at all fair.

In that case, it's more your centre's fault as opposed to just your teacher. They've failed to effectively regulate mocks and predictions. Also are you in your AS year or in your A2 year? Were you under pressure to report it or did you really just feel strongly about it?
Reply 7
Original post by laurawatt
Was your claim true? Who did you make this claim to?

In first year, yes, but not second year. It was mainly through my peers but if I admit to that then I cost everybody else the chance to appeal
Reply 8
In that case, it's more your centre's fault as opposed to just your teacher. They've failed to effectively regulate mocks and predictions. Also are you in your AS year or in your A2 year? Were you under pressure to report it or did you really just feel strongly about it?

I’m in A2. I started to feel guilty about it months before results day, and wrote a full confession, but I held off making such big claims in the event that I was predicted lower as opposed to higher. I thought admitting to it would resolve how I felt but now I risk losing everything, as does my college and my teacher.

You need to be more explicit as am not sure what your teracher has done wrong?
Who did you make the claim to and why?
I’m in A2. I started to feel guilty about it months before results day, and wrote a full confession, but I held off making such big claims in the event that I was predicted lower as opposed to higher. I thought admitting to it would resolve how I felt but now I risk losing everything, as does my college and my teacher.

Why did you make this claim ?
Doing the exams for real and earning them may be better as then gets the grades you work for ?
Original post by 999tigger
You need to be more explicit as am not sure what your teracher has done wrong?
Who did you make the claim to and why?

My teacher didn’t do much. I was seriously unwell mentally in both first and second year (but first year in particular). I was needy and desperate and constantly asked if I had to sit a paper and if I did have to sit a paper what was on it. Of course she refused to give me a full overview but she’d tell me something vague yet helpful such as “happiness, gender, social class are all themes on the paper” which meant that I was able to exclusively revise said themes. She gave me excessive feedback on my coursework for the same reason but it’s hard to pinpoint just how much feedback I was given because I wrote many different renditions. She honestly didn’t do that much; if was easy in general to obtain information as to what was on a specific paper. I overplayed how much help I was given in my email and I’m not sure if I can backtrack. I hope I can but in doing so I don’t want to accidentally cost anybody else their grades.
Why did you make this claim ?
Doing the exams for real and earning them may be better as then gets the grades you work for ?

I don’t have a concrete plan. I don’t have a job, an apprenticeship or a place at university. Now that I’ve got the grades, which I wouldn’t have otherwise achieved, everyone expects so much more from me. I thought admitting to it would alleviate some of pressure and also allow me to sit the exams honestly (for peace of mind).
My teacher didn’t do much. I was seriously unwell mentally in both first and second year (but first year in particular). I was needy and desperate and constantly asked if I had to sit a paper and if I did have to sit a paper what was on it. Of course she refused to give me a full overview but she’d tell me something vague yet helpful such as “happiness, gender, social class are all themes on the paper” which meant that I was able to exclusively revise said themes. She gave me excessive feedback on my coursework for the same reason but it’s hard to pinpoint just how much feedback I was given because I wrote many different renditions. She honestly didn’t do that much; if was easy in general to obtain information as to what was on a specific paper. I overplayed how much help I was given in my email and I’m not sure if I can backtrack. I hope I can but in doing so I don’t want to accidentally cost anybody else their grades.

So you have reported her for helping you?
You exaggerated what this help was?

Who did you reprt her to? In what format?
What prompted this?
Original post by 999tigger
So you have reported her for helping you?
You exaggerated what this help was?

Who did you reprt her to? In what format?
What prompted this?

‘Report’ is a strong word. I didn’t file a complete claim against her but is a paper trail. I emailed my faculty manager, who’s also my subject teacher, requesting that my grades be looked at or lowered. In the email I briefly mentioned my other subject teacher and the help I’d been offered, although I overplayed the help I’d been offered as I suggested I received help on ‘every single KAG’ which is wholly untrue. I received a response a day later informing me that my grades could not be revoked but I’m now worried as to the implications that this may have for those involved.
I don’t have a concrete plan. I don’t have a job, an apprenticeship or a place at university. Now that I’ve got the grades, which I wouldn’t have otherwise achieved, everyone expects so much more from me. I thought admitting to it would alleviate some of pressure and also allow me to sit the exams honestly (for peace of mind).

Are u under pressure from your cohort to back track because they cannot appeal ?
Are u under pressure from your cohort to back track because they cannot appeal ?

I assume I would be were they to find out. So far there’s been no mention of an investigation or anything of that kind, but if my FM were to sit on this information then she too could lose her job. It’s a lose lose situation.
‘Report’ is a strong word. I didn’t file a complete claim against her but is a paper trail. I emailed my faculty manager, who’s also my subject teacher, requesting that my grades be looked at or lowered. In the email I briefly mentioned my other subject teacher and the help I’d been offered, although I overplayed the help I’d been offered as I suggested I received help on ‘every single KAG’ which is wholly untrue. I received a response a day later informing me that my grades could not be revoked but I’m now worried as to the implications that this may have for those involved.

If it's just that faculty it's honestly probably going to be an internal investigation into that particular department. If they can't find proof you are probably going to be okay. And so will everyone else. Any decision made will need concrete evidence and it's not like you reported it to Ofqual or something.

Unknown. They might already have taken your MH issues into account.
Which qualification is this?
Have you told them you lied?

Still not seeing why you did this?
This thread is a bit baffling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending