The Student Room Group

Funding for PGCE in Wales as an England resident?

Hello,
I nominally live in England but have gotten a place at a university in Wales for a PGCE course.

I have already completed an undergraduate course in England (SfE funded, 2:1) in Physics and have just finished a full year MSc course at Cardiff uni, (SfE funded, exact result pending but I know I've passed, probably Merit).

I've now gotten a place at Aberystwyth Uni for PGCE Secondary Physics and now cannot figure out what to do about funding?

I've read I should be eligible for *either* £26,000 from SfE or £20,000 from SfW? Lots on info on the amount(s) I should be entitled to, absolutely none on where to go get it.

I've tried logging into student Finance England and clicking through Re-apply -> Higher Education -> Undergraduate (which lists PGCE). After that I cannot click "full time" as it's greyed out, quoting "You already have existing applications for all available academic years."

I went to sign in to the SfW website and it just sent me back to the SfE website after using my existing details.

What do I do? I can't do this course without financial support
Original post by gogglebot
Hello,
I nominally live in England but have gotten a place at a university in Wales for a PGCE course.

I have already completed an undergraduate course in England (SfE funded, 2:1) in Physics and have just finished a full year MSc course at Cardiff uni, (SfE funded, exact result pending but I know I've passed, probably Merit).

I've now gotten a place at Aberystwyth Uni for PGCE Secondary Physics and now cannot figure out what to do about funding?

I've read I should be eligible for *either* £26,000 from SfE or £20,000 from SfW? Lots on info on the amount(s) I should be entitled to, absolutely none on where to go get it.

I've tried logging into student Finance England and clicking through Re-apply -> Higher Education -> Undergraduate (which lists PGCE). After that I cannot click "full time" as it's greyed out, quoting "You already have existing applications for all available academic years."

I went to sign in to the SfW website and it just sent me back to the SfE website after using my existing details.

What do I do? I can't do this course without financial support

Hi, as you are moving to Wales to study, you're not eligible for SFW funding, you must apply to SFE.

As long as this will be your first time achieving Qualified Teacher Status, the course is under 2 years long and non salaried then your will be eligible for funding.

You can apply for the normal undergraduate funding. You can't apply online to SFE because you have previously had postgraduate funding, you must apply by sending the PN1 http://ow.ly/nZ4T30qijWe form in the post.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, as you are moving to Wales to study, you're not eligible for SFW funding, you must apply to SFE.

As long as this will be your first time achieving Qualified Teacher Status, the course is under 2 years long and non salaried then your will be eligible for funding.

You can apply for the normal undergraduate funding. You can't apply online to SFE because you have previously had postgraduate funding, you must apply by sending the PN1 http://ow.ly/nZ4T30qijWe form in the post.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi, thank you Isaac,
I believe my course is eligible for a bursary as its a high demand topic, does SFE figure that out once they've received the form or do I contact the university?

Sorry for all the questions! Lastly, can I fill that form in digitally? I noticed its editable. Can I omit printing pages that I will be leaving blank, as ink and paper are expensive!

Thanks again :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gogglebot
Hi, thank you Isaac,
I believe my course is eligible for a bursary as its a high demand topic, does SFE figure that out once they've received the form or do I contact the university?

Sorry for all the questions! Lastly, can I fill that form in digitally? I noticed its editable. Can I omit printing pages that I will be leaving blank, as ink and paper are expensive!

Thanks again :smile:

We do not award the teaching bursary. You should contact The Teaching Agency to discuss the bursary not SFE.

You don't need to tick you are on a placement for your ITT course but you should make sure you attach a letter with your application from the university that confirms your course is unsalaried as our assessors will request this.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending