The Student Room Group

Friendships at University

As an reserved introvert, who is a homebody and isn't really much of a clubber/partygoer- I am really not that interested in the nightlife. I've been wanting to know how to find or meet likeminded friends where we share similar interests. I want to join societies at uni too, but does anyone know different ways to find people at uni? Thanks.
Reply 1
I don’t know if your course does group projects but that’s how I met my friends. I’m in my third year and I’m still with them till this day. You could also meet them through your seminars. Just try talk to the person setting next to you and ask about their interests etcc x. If you like them then you can always follow them on social media and hopefully be friends x. But if unfortunately you don’t make as much friends as you anticipate, then just remember that your end goal was to get your degree and leave anyways x
Hi @Anonymous
There’s lots of ways to meet people at university. I highly recommend joining a society so you meet people with similar interests to you but also chatting to a coursemates is a great way to make friends. A good way to start may be by talking about the work/ your course. There’s also other ways to meet people through different events the university does, through volunteering, part time jobs etc. You are never truly done with meeting people at university and try to remember many people are in the same boat as you and wanting to make friends as well !
Hope this reassures you !
Lancaster University Student ambassador Holly
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Anonymous
There’s lots of ways to meet people at university. I highly recommend joining a society so you meet people with similar interests to you but also chatting to a coursemates is a great way to make friends. A good way to start may be by talking about the work/ your course. There’s also other ways to meet people through different events the university does, through volunteering, part time jobs etc. You are never truly done with meeting people at university and try to remember many people are in the same boat as you and wanting to make friends as well !
Hope this reassures you !
Lancaster University Student ambassador Holly

Thank you Holly.
Reply 4
Original post by Yazziii
I don’t know if your course does group projects but that’s how I met my friends. I’m in my third year and I’m still with them till this day. You could also meet them through your seminars. Just try talk to the person setting next to you and ask about their interests etcc x. If you like them then you can always follow them on social media and hopefully be friends x. But if unfortunately you don’t make as much friends as you anticipate, then just remember that your end goal was to get your degree and leave anyways x

Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
As an reserved introvert, who is a homebody and isn't really much of a clubber/partygoer- I am really not that interested in the nightlife. I've been wanting to know how to find or meet likeminded friends where we share similar interests. I want to join societies at uni too, but does anyone know different ways to find people at uni? Thanks.

Hiya!

This is so common with students so you won't be feeling alone! There are lots of ways that you can meet new people that aren't revolved around going to pubs and bars. Firstly if you are living in a flat/ house with new people ask if they want to go out for the day and ho to a local beach, park or cinema and try to get to know them better as you will be spending a lot of time together. Also ask to create a group chat with you all in so you can drop a message asking to go to the food shops together or to go to wilko if you need to to buy anything. Just small things like this together can help you to create a better friendship.

Definitely have a look at any societies that you like, especially te free trials and tasters that they hold. As this will put you with other students who have a similar interest to you, but also won't put you out of pocket if you don't like the society! Have a look at any local gyms if you're interested and attend any fitness classes you like. this was how I met a close friends when at a Zumba class together in first year!

Also going to your lectures/ attending virtual lectures is perfect to meet those on your course. Even asking them for a coffee after or introducing yourself is a great first step.

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 6
Between your accomodation, societies, course and just places you visit, you should be able to find some like-minded people.
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hiya!

This is so common with students so you won't be feeling alone! There are lots of ways that you can meet new people that aren't revolved around going to pubs and bars. Firstly if you are living in a flat/ house with new people ask if they want to go out for the day and ho to a local beach, park or cinema and try to get to know them better as you will be spending a lot of time together. Also ask to create a group chat with you all in so you can drop a message asking to go to the food shops together or to go to wilko if you need to to buy anything. Just small things like this together can help you to create a better friendship.

Definitely have a look at any societies that you like, especially te free trials and tasters that they hold. As this will put you with other students who have a similar interest to you, but also won't put you out of pocket if you don't like the society! Have a look at any local gyms if you're interested and attend any fitness classes you like. this was how I met a close friends when at a Zumba class together in first year!

Also going to your lectures/ attending virtual lectures is perfect to meet those on your course. Even asking them for a coffee after or introducing yourself is a great first step.

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending