The Student Room Group

Easiest RG unis bet I to for Law

Also what non- RG unis are good for law I’ve heard Leicester is but that’s pretty much it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All RG unis are going to be quite difficult to get into for law. Easier ones include Cardiff and possibly Liverpool (although Liverpool recently did increase their entry requirements) are pretty much it. Even then, these unis are difficult to get into for law. Almost every Russel Group uni will require AAA for Law, if not A*AA and some will also require an LNAT on top of that. The RG unis who do are Bristol, Durham Oxford, King's Glasgow, LSE, UCL and Nottingham. Some unis have their own requirements outside of this such as Cambridge requires you take the Cambridge Law Test (CLT) and York requires that you attend an interview.

Non-RGs that are good for law include Lancaster (AAB), Sussex(AAB-ABB), Kent (AAA-ABB) and as you mentioned Leicester(AAB), which in my opinion is the best Law school outside RG.
Reply 2
I’m hoping get at least AAB predicted which if it was that I’d be applying to Liverpool and Cardiff. Liverpool say AAA but they’re really low ranked so I fancy my chances.

Even if I do get AAA the problem for me is my GCSEs I had to take resists so I don’t know how much that will effect me.

I’m not looking to apply to top, top RG unis like the London ones and oxbridge anyway.

With AAA I’d add Leeds and Sheffield to that and maybe Manchester as I really want to go but I think my GCSEs will let me down
Reply 3
Original post by Tinders
All RG unis are going to be quite difficult to get into for law. Easier ones include Cardiff and possibly Liverpool (although Liverpool recently did increase their entry requirements) are pretty much it. Even then, these unis are difficult to get into for law. Almost every Russel Group uni will require AAA for Law, if not A*AA and some will also require an LNAT on top of that. The RG unis who do are Bristol, Durham Oxford, King's Glasgow, LSE, UCL and Nottingham. Some unis have their own requirements outside of this such as Cambridge requires you take the Cambridge Law Test (CLT) and York requires that you attend an interview.

Non-RGs that are good for law include Lancaster (AAB), Sussex(AAB-ABB), Kent (AAA-ABB) and as you mentioned Leicester(AAB), which in my opinion is the best Law school outside RG.

What are your thoughts on doing an non law degree at a RG uni. Like politics maybe. How much easier will that he to get in?
Reply 4
Original post by Peter76530
What are your thoughts on doing an non law degree at a RG uni. Like politics maybe. How much easier will that he to get in?

Law is one of the most, if not the most, competitive course to apply to, so applying to courses like politics are naturally going to give you better chances. Most unis have lower entry requirements for politics anyway, usually 1 grade difference:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Tinders
Law is one of the most, if not the most, competitive course to apply to, so applying to courses like politics are naturally going to give you better chances. Most unis have lower entry requirements for politics anyway, usually 1 grade difference:smile:

I know but I honestly think I’d be a lot better doing law lol. I’m very good at remembering facts.

I’m applying for access to Leeds so I may apply for both law and politics there but taht would mean altering my PS and may damage my chances at Leeds.

Want go a good uni in a big city
Reply 6
I know but I honestly think I’d be a lot better doing law lol. I’m very good at remembering facts.

I’m applying for access to Leeds so I may apply for both law and politics there but taht would mean altering my PS and may damage my chances at Leeds.

I applied to some politics courses and some law courses and I'm going off to study law at an RG uni so if you do it right, it shouldn't harm your ps too badly. If you want a good uni in a big city have you considered Manchester? Again AAA requirement. Have you also considered Sheffield? Wouldn't say it's ab ig city but it's a short hop from Leeds. They will take you with AAB+B in EPQ.
Reply 7
Original post by Tinders
I applied to some politics courses and some law courses and I'm going off to study law at an RG uni so if you do it right, it shouldn't harm your ps too badly. If you want a good uni in a big city have you considered Manchester? Again AAA requirement. Have you also considered Sheffield? Wouldn't say it's ab ig city but it's a short hop from Leeds. They will take you with AAB+B in EPQ.

Leeds will offer me ABB for law or BBB with politics as I’m applying for access to Leeds

Manchester is the dream but I have 5 low GCSEs and they state they want all A-B grades at gcse
Reply 8
Leeds will offer me ABB for law or BBB with politics as I’m applying for access to Leeds

Mancester is the dream but I have 5 low GCSEs and they state they want all A-B grades at gcse

Ah sorry, I didn't see you were applying for access many apologies. Leeds is an excellent university with an excellent reputation, in one of the best cities for students in the UK. Not sure where you've got that information from Manchester about their GCSEs. Because what I've found from their LLB course is this "Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade C or 4 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language."
Reply 9

Why would doing access for Leeds damage your chances? lol

I don't have it on hand but although Liverpool ask for certain grades, they usually take lower. The mode equivalent set of grades they've taken in in the past few years is BBB, which suggests that the entry requirements are a means by which they're encouraging people to firm rather than an accurate reflection of their entry standards. Probably worth applying imo.

Outside of the top universities, they probably won't place a huge emphasis on your GCSEs unless they're truly shocking. If you're on about the Autumn exams due to COVID exam cancellations, you sitting these exams will almost certainly not affect how your GCSEs are viewed. However, if it's an actual resit, then individual unis will have different attitudes towards this so you should research each uni you're interested in's view on this.
Original post by Tinders
Ah sorry, I didn't see you were applying for access many apologies. Leeds is an excellent university with an excellent reputation, in one of the best cities for students in the UK. Not sure where you've got that information from Manchester about their GCSEs. Because what I've found from their LLB course is this "Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade C or 4 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language."

Yeah I’ve emailed them twice and they’ve said A-B. They also said it on they’re open day. It’s ridiculous how they don’t sya that online of I hadn’t had attempted that open day I most probably would have applied and almost certainly had wasted an application.

However, they did say they’d consider my application with my GCSEs but I’m not convinced.

I need use my low GCSEs as an advantage though like to show how I’ve turned my self around, like a zero to hero sort of thing.
Yeah I’ve emailed them twice and they’ve said A-B. They also said it on they’re open day. It’s ridiculous how they don’t sya that online of I hadn’t had attempted that open day I most probably would have applied and almost certainly had wasted an application.

However, they did say they’d consider my application with my GCSEs but I’m not convinced.

I need use my low GCSEs as an advantage though like to show how I’ve turned my self around, like a zero to hero sort of thing.

Ah okay. Fair enough. Yes you could use your GCSEs to your advantage of advertised well on your reference:smile:
Original post by Mikos
Why would doing access for Leeds damage your chances? lol

I don't have it on hand but although Liverpool ask for certain grades, they usually take lower. The mode equivalent set of grades they've taken in in the past few years is BBB, which suggests that the entry requirements are a means by which they're encouraging people to firm rather than an accurate reflection of their entry standards. Probably worth applying imo.

Outside of the top universities, they probably won't place a huge emphasis on your GCSEs unless they're truly shocking. If you're on about the Autumn exams due to COVID exam cancellations, you sitting these exams will almost certainly not affect how your GCSEs are viewed. However, if it's an actual resit, then individual unis will have different attitudes towards this so you should research each uni you're interested in's view on this.

Yes they’re actual resists.
But I wnat to use that to my advantage to show that yes I have poor GCSEs but now I’m predicted good a level grades

And I meant applying to Leeds for two different courses nothing to do with A2L.
Yes they’re actual resists.
But I wnat to use that to my advantage to show that yes I have poor GCSEs but now I’m predicted good a level grades

And I meant applying to Leeds for two different courses nothing to do with A2L.

I resat A-levels and RG unis didn't seem to mind that. So I don't think resitting GCSE's would be too detrimental. Although I'm no expert on the issue. Resitting, in my opinion, shows ambition, determination and assiduousness. Everything universities look for in students.
I’m hoping get at least AAB predicted which if it was that I’d be applying to Liverpool and Cardiff. Liverpool say AAA but they’re really low ranked so I fancy my chances.

Even if I do get AAA the problem for me is my GCSEs I had to take resists so I don’t know how much that will effect me.

I’m not looking to apply to top, top RG unis like the London ones and oxbridge anyway.

With AAA I’d add Leeds and Sheffield to that and maybe Manchester as I really want to go but I think my GCSEs will let me down

I fancy your chances at Liverpool too with AAB predicted - so you have Liverpool, Cardiff, Leeds, Sheffield.

Probably not Manchester if they have told you that about your GCSEs. I would consider Newcastle instead - they accepted people with ABB in Clearing last year and were also in Clearing the year before so are likely to be a bit flexible with offers.

Or you could pick a safer fifth choice like Leicester. Its not RG but that doesn't matter.
How well reputed is QMUL for law? I’m an international applicant so I’d like to know more from students/ prospective students in the UK
Original post by nyx2911
How well reputed is QMUL for law? I’m an international applicant so I’d like to know more from students/ prospective students in the UK

QMUL is well respected for Law in the UK but you need to start your own thread on this because this thread is for @Peter76530 to get answers to his question.
Original post by harrysbar
QMUL is well respected for Law in the UK but you need to start your own thread on this because this thread is for @Peter76530 to get answers to his question.

my apologies, I was under the impression that evenQMUL is a tough RG
Original post by harrysbar
I fancy your chances at Liverpool too with AAB predicted - so you have Liverpool, Cardiff, Leeds, Sheffield.

Probably not Manchester if they have told you that about your GCSEs. I would consider Newcastle instead - they accepted people with ABB in Clearing last year and were also in Clearing the year before so are likely to be a bit flexible with offers.

Or you could pick a safer fifth choice like Leicester. Its not RG but that doesn't matter.

Yeah Newcastle do this access programme which will mean I’d only need BBB so I’ll apply for that.

Thought Sheffield were good for law tbh you think I could apply with AAB predicted?
Yeah Newcastle do this access programme which will mean I’d only need BBB so I’ll apply for that.

Thought Sheffield were good for law tbh you think I could apply with AAB predicted?

Sheffield are good for law. I think if you applied with AAB predicted you would likely get their standard offer which is AAA. Unless you qualify for their Access programme which could get you a slightly lower offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending