The Student Room Group

Student finance for a second degree

Hi, I would love to start a uni course in September 2021 as a mature student. However I have already got a degree in my home country 20 years ago. To be honest, I am not sure - if it is considered to be a degree in Britain...? (I should check it with Naric, as I understand). Anyway, in case Naric would accept it as a degree - I wonder if I can get a tuition loan and a childcare grant for my studies? I have got 2 small children, low income and a part-time job. So I would not be able to do the course without childcare... I have read about exempt courses list - if I get place on one of them, can I apply for a student finance including childcare and maintenance loan please? Thank you.
Original post by Germa123
Hi, I would love to start a uni course in September 2021 as a mature student. However I have already got a degree in my home country 20 years ago. To be honest, I am not sure - if it is considered to be a degree in Britain...? (I should check it with Naric, as I understand). Anyway, in case Naric would accept it as a degree - I wonder if I can get a tuition loan and a childcare grant for my studies? I have got 2 small children, low income and a part-time job. So I would not be able to do the course without childcare... I have read about exempt courses list - if I get place on one of them, can I apply for a student finance including childcare and maintenance loan please? Thank you.

Hi Germa,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Germa,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks for the reply, Isaac.
1. Hope uni (Psychology)
2. 41
3. British citizen, 13 years.
4. Bachelor in "Finance" (however it is not confirmed by Naric).
Thanks for the reply, Isaac.
1. Hope uni (Psychology)
2. 41
3. British citizen, 13 years.
4. Bachelor in "Finance" (however it is not confirmed by Naric).

If this is the part time course then you will be funded as Psychology is a part time exception course which means your previous qualification/study doesn't affect your eligibility.

You won't be eligible for a full time course due to having an equivalent level qualification.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
If this is the part time course then you will be funded as Psychology is a part time exception course which means your previous qualification/study doesn't affect your eligibility.

You won't be eligible for a full time course due to having an equivalent level qualification.
Thanks, Isaac

Sorry Isaac, just to elaborate as it sounds confusing on a part-time side. So theoretically I can apply for any part-time healthcare course and will get a tuition loan? What would happen with a childcare grant please? (Part-time courses usually take longer time, so how childcare will be considered (if it would be at all...?)
Sorry Isaac, just to elaborate as it sounds confusing on a part-time side. So theoretically I can apply for any part-time healthcare course and will get a tuition loan? What would happen with a childcare grant please? (Part-time courses usually take longer time, so how childcare will be considered (if it would be at all...?)

Psychology is not classed as a health care course.

There is no childcare grant for part time students. You can view all the funding available here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/

Full Time
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Psychology is not classed as a health care course.

There is no childcare grant for part time students. You can view all the funding available here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/

Full Time
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you Isaac, really helpful. Do I understand it correctly please - if I apply for Psychology with Open Uni (which is considered to be a part-time), - I would be able to apply for a maintenance loan? Thank you.
Thank you Isaac, really helpful. Do I understand it correctly please - if I apply for Psychology with Open Uni (which is considered to be a part-time), - I would be able to apply for a maintenance loan? Thank you.

You could apply for a part time maintenance loan from other universities but not the open university as the OU is classed as distance learning.

You need to be physically attending a university to receive the Maintenance Loan unless you have a disability that prevents you doing so.
So students can only apply for a ML at the OU if they have a disability.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending