The Student Room Group

I don’t know if I should apply to a more safe uni?!!

Predicted A*AA but I’ve applied to Birmingham (A*AA), Nottingham (AAA), Warwick (AAA), UCL (A*AA) and Sheffield (AAA).

Sheffield is a bit far for me but I applied there cos it’s a good university and kind of as a safe choice because apparently they’re more lenient. I’m starting to rethink this though, and I think you can change your options 14 days after applying.

I might change Sheffield to Aston but the problem is I don’t really like Aston although I think the requirements are ABB but the graduate prospects and overall degree is below mediocre.

What do you guys think I should do? Switch to a safer option or stick with my current 5 (thanks)
Please someone respond :smile:
Original post by TheFlash2024
Predicted A*AA but I’ve applied to Birmingham (A*AA), Nottingham (AAA), Warwick (AAA), UCL (A*AA) and Sheffield (AAA).

Sheffield is a bit far for me but I applied there cos it’s a good university and kind of as a safe choice because apparently they’re more lenient. I’m starting to rethink this though, and I think you can change your options 14 days after applying.

I might change Sheffield to Aston but the problem is I don’t really like Aston although I think the requirements are ABB but the graduate prospects and overall degree is below mediocre.

What do you guys think I should do? Switch to a safer option or stick with my current 5 (thanks)

Stick with your current choices. You don’t sound like you want to go to Aston even if you got an offer from them.

I wouldnt swap Sheffield to Aston.

With your predicted grades it makes sense to end up with a Firm at A*AA and Insurance at AAA or both choices at AAA if you happen to like Nottingham or Warwick best
Original post by harrysbar

With your predicted grades it makes sense to end up with a Firm at A*AA and Insurance at AAA or both choices at AAA if you happen to like Nottingham or Warwick best

I Really like Warwick so I’d firm UCL and insure Warwick if I got all my offers. I’m gonna keep Sheffield . Now that I’m thinking about it, my fifth option won’t really matter if I’m not firming or insuring it. Thank you!
Reply 5

I wouldn't swap Sheffield for Aston either. Sheffield is a great university and a great city, in my opinion.

That makes sense I like UCL and Warwick the most so fingers crossed I get their offers. Thanks!
Original post by Cote1
I wouldn't swap Sheffield for Aston either. Sheffield is a great university and a great city, in my opinion.

Really? I don’t mind Sheffield but I thought it was more common to have a safe choice but idk
Original post by Admit-One
Stick with your current choices. You don’t sound like you want to go to Aston even if you got an offer from them.

Yh I don’t rlly like it and app so they’re always in clearing anyways so I might just stick with Sheffield
Reply 9
Really? I don’t mind Sheffield but I thought it was more common to have a safe choice but idk

It is certainly good to have an insurance choice with lower grades offered.

Just personal preference in terms of university choices. I think Sheffield is a great, friendly city and I like the student union. It just appeals to me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cote1
It is certainly good to have an insurance choice.

Just personal preference in terms of university choices. I think Sheffield is a great, friendly city and I like the student union. It just appeals to me.

I don’t think I’d insure Sheffield if I got all my offers I’d insure Warwick but I mean safe as in, a back up in case I miss some offers? Would you say Sheffield is more lenient?
Sheffield is such a beautiful city and this is coming from a Mancunian. The university is really modern and chic and it’s got this quiet city atmosphere and tonnes of greenery and is by the city centre.
Reply 12
I don’t think I’d insure Sheffield if I got all my offers I’d insure Warwick but I mean safe as in, a back up in case I miss some offers? Would you say Sheffield is more lenient?

I am afraid I don't know. Not necessarily?

@McGinger do you have any advice you could kindly give?
ooh another ucl applicant! nice to meet you :smile: personally i'd stick with sheffield, it sounds like you'd prefer to go there so there's no point compromising yourself for somewhere you'd be unhappy studying at! my advice is always to aim high, if you're really stuck then there's plenty of awesome places you can apply to during clearing. good luck x
What subject are you appying for ....?
Original post by McGinger
What subject are you appying for ....?

LLB Law
LLB Law

Any Uni asking for A*AA or AAA can be picky who they make offers to. They will get thoudands of applications for Law and from people with higher grades than you have. Notts and UCL are both LNAT so even with high grade predictions, if LNAT goes wrong you may not get an offer.
What if both your A* choices say No. Then you could have 3 RG AAA identical offers to choose a Firm and Insurance from. Tricky.

I would therefore suggest that you have one AAB choice or one non-RG. You may feel very confident about top grades right now. That may not last.
An AAB choice gives you the option of a safer 'bottom drop' Insurance if you only get higher offers. Cardiff is AAA/AAB. Lancater is AAB.
Original post by McGinger
Any Uni asking for A*AA or AAA can be picky who they make offers to. They will get thoudands of applications for Law and from people with higher grades than you have. Notts and UCL are both LNAT so even with high grade predictions, if LNAT goes wrong you may not get an offer.
What if both your A* choices say No. Then you could have 3 RG AAA identical offers to choose a Firm and Insurance from. Tricky.

I would therefore suggest that you have one AAB choice or one non-RG. You may feel very confident about top grades right now. That may not last.
An AAB choice gives you the option of a safer 'bottom drop' Insurance if you only get higher offers. Cardiff is AAA/AAB. Lancater is AAB.

Good point but I think Nottingham isn’t very strict with their lnat I’m quite confident with it anyway. Lancaster and Cardiff aren’t ideal for me location wise but I understand, I’ll definitely think about this
Good point but I think Nottingham isn’t very strict with their lnat I’m quite confident with it anyway. Lancaster and Cardiff aren’t ideal for me location wise but I understand, I’ll definitely think about this

Nottingham is less strict on the LNAT compared to UCL. At the end of the day, you have to apply to Unis you would genuinely want to attend or what’s the point? There’s always Clearing if something goes wrong with your grades but I think you have a good spread of A*AA/AAA Unis and LNAT/non LNAT Unis
Nottingham is less strict on the LNAT compared to UCL. At the end of the day, you have to apply to Unis you would genuinely want to attend or what’s the point? There’s always Clearing if something goes wrong with your grades but I think you have a good spread of A*AA/AAA Unis and LNAT/non LNAT Unis

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks for your view

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending