The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan for EU estranged students

Hello,

I am in my second year of a four year course, and when I applied my parents (both from the EU, working in England since June 2018) were supporting my application. However the situation changed drastically during the past 6 months and I am at great risk of becoming estranged. I am worried that this will affect my SF status, since I applied as the child of a migrant worker, and since the maintenance loan that I have been receiving is my only source of income. Would becoming enstranged make me ineligible for maintenance loan? And if yes, is there something I could do, get a part time job for example?
Original post by MashaN04
Hello,

I am in my second year of a four year course, and when I applied my parents (both from the EU, working in England since June 2018) were supporting my application. However the situation changed drastically during the past 6 months and I am at great risk of becoming estranged. I am worried that this will affect my SF status, since I applied as the child of a migrant worker, and since the maintenance loan that I have been receiving is my only source of income. Would becoming enstranged make me ineligible for maintenance loan? And if yes, is there something I could do, get a part time job for example?

Hi there, will your parent no longer provide their evidence as a Migrant Worker?

Are you working yourself? Please confirm your nationality and status in the UK.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
I am unsure whether or not they will continue to provide, but I’m preparing for worst case scenario given that they already suggested they will no longer support me. I have pre settled status at the moment, I am an EU national. I don’t have a permanent job, just a temporary job at the university and I will occasionally have some summer placements if I am lucky.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by MashaN04
I am unsure whether or not they will continue to provide, but I’m preparing for worst case scenario given that they already suggested they will no longer support me. I have pre settled status at the moment, I am an EU national. I don’t have a permanent job, just a temporary job at the university and I will occasionally have some summer placements if I am lucky.

If your parent will no longer support your application as a Migrant Worker then you won't be eligible for Migrant Worker funding unless you work yourself and can provide acceptable evidence.

An EU Applicant needs full settled status to apply for home student funding, otherwise the Migrant worker http://ow.ly/2x0230oL92f criteria needs to be met.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending