The Student Room Group

British citizen overseas fees loan possible?

I do not satisfy the UK residency requirements. Am I OK with paying overseas fees however am I eligible for a student loan? I have an British citizen guarantor if necessary.

Thank you for your help!
Original post by Tofugirl
I do not satisfy the UK residency requirements. Am I OK with paying overseas fees however am I eligible for a student loan? I have an British citizen guarantor if necessary.

Thank you for your help!

Hi there,

Can you please confirm your Nationality?

Thanks, Amy
Reply 2
Thanks I am British
Thanks I am British

Can you confirm where you have lived for the last 3 years?

Thanks, Amy
Reply 4
Overseas and will pay overseas fees
Hi there,

What country have you been living in? When did you come back to the UK?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
In Asia, not back yet, will be paying overseas fees.
Reply 7
Bumping this up to see if I can get an answer. Thanks
Bumping this up to see if I can get an answer. Thanks

Hello,

A student who does not meet the three year residency requirements has, in effect 'broken their residency'. However, you could still be deemed eligible if you can prove the break was of a temporary nature and you were planning to return to the UK (maintained a link with the UK).

Can you confirm why you moved to Asia?

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 9
Dads employment
Dads employment

Hi,

if you parent has been working abroad on a temporary contract of employment we would take this into account. Do you know if it was on a temporary basis?

Thanks, Amy
Reply 11
yes temporary
yes temporary

Thank you for confirming.

In this case you will be eligible to apply for funding, we will ask for evidence of the temporary break such as; Temporary visas or work permits, A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates or a copy of a contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature.

Kind regards, Amy
Reply 13
One more question given my situation, should I apply online or on paper? Will have plenty of 'evidence' to submit.
Thanks
One more question given my situation, should I apply online or on paper? Will have plenty of 'evidence' to submit.
Thanks

Hi there,

We'd recommend applying online: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

If you're not able to, however, let us know.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 15
Given the above circumstances, all my evidence showing links to the UK, should the student or the parent send it??

Many thanks for your help.
Given the above circumstances, all my evidence showing links to the UK, should the student or the parent send it??

Many thanks for your help.

Hello,

You or your parent can send the evidence, just ensure you provide your Customer Reference Number with the evidence.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending