The Student Room Group

Is Being a Vegan/Vegetarian Healthier?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saratheawesome
It's sounds like your asking me if its salmon. :P

He meant salmond :tongue:

Reply 41
Original post by BreakingBadx
If you eat a vegan or vegetarian diet and get enough protein, then is that still healthier than a normal healthy balanced diet where you get enough fruit/vegetables?

A friend of mine (hipster vegetarian guy) says that animal sources of protein are unhealthier, not sheriff srs though

They have a lot more fat in than veggie protein sources such as soya. Even white meat like chicken are more unhealthy in that sense. But you have to remember that you need fats.

Fish is incredibly healthy so I would say that veggie dude is way off on that statement, and I'm vegetarian! :biggrin:
He meant salmond :tongue:

Ah of course...who else could he possibly mean :biggrin:
Reply 43
Of course it's healthier, you cut down less trees used to produce meat - meaning less co2 and methane emissions = healthy people with less respiratory problems
No /thread
Original post by bertstare
No /thread

Strong username to post content ratio :lol:
Original post by Rakas21
Many vegetarians do still drink dairy for protein and potentially eggs. With regards to meat protein versus legumes i think the difference is that meat protein contains all amino acids while legumes do not. That's easily rectified though if you have more than one kind of veg and just take care to know what is in what.

All vegetarians consume eggs and dairy.

Otherwise, they'd be vegan.
Original post by XMaramena
All vegetarians consume eggs and dairy.

Otherwise, they'd be vegan.

What if they eat eggs but not dairy? Or dairy but not eggs?

What if they don't eat eggs or dairy but they do eat honey and wear leather?
Original post by e aí rapaz

Honey is not a formerly-living creature, not having the potential to ever be one.

As for the eggs and dairy thing, there's a specific name for it - lacto-ovo or something along those lines, I can't remember.

As for wearing leather, that depends on the person - do they refer to a diet or a lifestyle?
There's only one person with their jimmies rustled on here. Projecting yet again, I see :cool: Clearly upset that I brought up your thread. When you're the laughing stock of the Fitness section, it's obvious who the one with the issue is.

Move on son :yawn:

This is all very noisy, I'm not sure what's going on.
Reply 50

Honey is not a formerly-living creature, not having the potential to ever be one.

As for the eggs and dairy thing, there's a specific name for it - lacto-ovo or something along those lines, I can't remember.

As for wearing leather, that depends on the person - do they refer to a diet or a lifestyle?

In Western cultures, lacto ovo =vegetarian. Other places vegetarian might not mean lacto ovo vegetarian, in India it means lacto vegetarian.
Lacto vegetarian eats milk but not eggs
Ovo vegetarian eats egg but not milk

If they are vegetarian, don't eat eggs or milk but do wear leather and eat honey then they are not vegan but technically vegetarian (as in with no lacto or ovo). That confuses people because of the colloquial usage so in practice there is no word.
Original post by BKS
In Western cultures, lacto ovo =vegetarian. Other places vegetarian might not mean lacto ovo vegetarian, in India it means lacto vegetarian.
Lacto vegetarian eats milk but not eggs
Ovo vegetarian eats egg but not milk

If they are vegetarian, don't eat eggs or milk but do wear leather and eat honey then they are not vegan but technically vegetarian (as in with no lacto or ovo). That confuses people because of the colloquial usage so in practice there is no word.

It's fairly easy just to say that a person is vegan if they cut out all animal products.

If they don't eat meat but do use other animal products (be that eggs, dairy, leather, or anything else), they are vegetarian.
Reply 52
It's fairly easy just to say that a person is vegan if they cut out all animal products.

If they don't eat meat but do use other animal products (be that eggs, dairy, leather, or anything else), they are vegetarian.

In colloquial usage that's more or less how it is but for more in depth discussion you do need more precise words. Vegetarian used to mean vegan and people would specify lacto ovo but then creepage happened so a new word had to be defined because it was getting confusing
Original post by BKS
In colloquial usage that's more or less how it is but for more in depth discussion you do need more precise words. Vegetarian used to mean vegan and people would specify lacto ovo but then creepage happened so a new word had to be defined because it was getting confusing

Sure. My original point was just to the other poster, that "Every vegetarian eats eggs and dairy, otherwise they're vegan" was not true.

IMO it's just leather that doesn't quite fit into that definition since leather (unlike eggs, dairy etc) requires animal slaughter.
Reply 55
IMO it's just leather that doesn't quite fit into that definition since leather (unlike eggs, dairy etc) requires animal slaughter.

Actually eggs and dairy do require animal slaughter, and a lot of it.
Someone can't be vegetarian for animal rights unless they are ignorant to that (most are aware though).

To respond to the question, I don't advertise veganism as a diet for health. But vegans can be a very healthy bunch (probably more so than the average consumer).

I was actually pretty annoyed a few weeks ago at Holland & Barrett's. They hired a new member of staff and she put together a booklet of information and stuck it on the vegan and vegetarian freezer. I read it and I know she meant well, but she lost me at the "we need to keep our bodies toned and in shape to promote veganism as best as we can." I understand that she wants us to look good so the public can get rid of their "pale and sick" crap, but that's not what the cause is about. A vegan can be fat, skinny, curvy, tall, short... just like anyone else. As someone already mentioned, most of the Co-Op doughnuts are raided by vegans before the general public can eat them. We like junk food too.
Original post by WolfBird
Actually eggs and dairy do require animal slaughter, and a lot of it.

Not true, just not true. You're either approaching this one of two, both very closed-minded ways. The first being that that eggs are "living beings" and eating them is slaughtering them (which is a discussion for a different topic alongside abortion ethics), or that you're associating the dairy only with farms that slaughter animals for meat once they stop producing enough milk or eggs.

There are many places that farm organic eggs and milk, and when the animals stop producing those things, they simply keep on living a happy life in the pastures until their natural time comes.
Not true, just not true. You're either approaching this one of two, both very closed-minded ways. The first being that that eggs are "living beings" and eating them is slaughtering them (which is a discussion for a different topic alongside abortion ethics), or that you're associating the dairy only with farms that slaughter animals for meat once they stop producing enough milk or eggs.

I'm a meat eater but this quite simply false

Male chicks and bull calfs get born, the former are usually slaughtered at a day old, the latter usually get raised for beef

There are many places that farm organic eggs and milk, and when the animals stop producing those things, they simply keep on living a happy life in the pastures until their natural time comes.

This happens on a tiny minority of farms and organic status has nothing to do with it

Original post by Angry cucumber
I'm a meat eater but this quite simply false

Male chicks and bull calfs get born, the former are usually slaughtered at a day old, the latter usually get raised for beef

This happens on a tiny minority of farms and organic status has nothing to do with it

Exactly. Male chicks at a day old or so are slaughtered by the thousand at hatcheries.

Being Vegan is quite extremely unhealthy to be honest. Vegetarians are usually healthy but often have diet related problems. Oh and for the record, being omnivorous is technically quite unhealthy too.

But it's quite problematic trying to find any statistical evidence for or against diets, as the golden rule of modern medicine is that the sponsor always gets the answer they want. So studies show whatever the people who paid for them want, i.e. the Atkins diet being healthy. So it's all just inane babble really that we can't answer.

Quick Reply

Latest