The Student Room Group

Texting a 17 year old...does this sound sad?

I'm 21, and hooked up with a first year on a night out. We swapped numbers and since have been texting/sending photos. It's all very sexual, and I just like the fact that we don't pretend that it's ever going to be anything more than sex.

I just wonder if it's a bit pathetic, a 21 year old text-flirting and casually hooking up with someone who is just under 18?

Scroll to see replies

Well if you subscribe to that half the age then add 7 rule, then she has to be 17 and a half to make it ok haha. I can see why your friends might take the mickey a fair bit, but she's nearly 18 so fair game I guess!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 21, and hooked up with a first year on a night out. We swapped numbers and since have been texting/sending photos. It's all very sexual, and I just like the fact that we don't pretend that it's ever going to be anything more than sex.

I just wonder if it's a bit pathetic, a 21 year old text-flirting and casually hooking up with someone who is just under 18?

Eh, it is legal. Age matters less the older you get, anyway. It isn't like there is a huge gap between you. I can't see much of a problem with this.
Reply 3
First year who was 17? I thought you had to be 18+ for uni?
Reply 4
Original post by eff01

Depends where in the country you are. In Scotland you can finish high school at 17, and thus go to uni at 17. IIRC that's why Scottish degrees are 4 years, although I'm sure somebody who knows more than me could explain. Something about not having to do Advanced Highers to go to uni, just Highers.
Reply 5
Original post by eff01

I dont think there's a formal age limit for University; just most people are 18 because it takes that long to finish everything else.
To the OP: She's at uni, so I see no problem.

Original post by Bekaboo
Depends where in the country you are. In Scotland you can finish high school at 17, and thus go to uni at 17. IIRC that's why Scottish degrees are 4 years, although I'm sure somebody who knows more than me could explain. Something about not having to do Advanced Highers to go to uni, just Highers.

No, it's the birthday ages. In England it is September to August while in Scotland it's March to February, if that makes sense. So, you can do Advanced Highers and start uni at 17 (like me) or you also have the option of leaving school a year early and go to uni at 16, but most don't do this though I knew a few who left school early and started at 16. I doubt any unis in England would be willing to take on a 16 year old anyway, but Scottish unis seems quite happy to.

In the past, people in Scotland use to leave school (with only Highers) a year earlier than English people did, hence why Scottish degrees are a year longer than English degrees but with Advanced Highers you can opt for 2nd year entry for some degrees and do a three year course. Sorry if my explanation is confusing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by eff01

My brother started University at 17, but that was because he was moved up a year in school, but it does happen, and I think it depends on what country you're in as well.
Original post by ZombieCharge
No, it's the birthday ages. In England it is September to August while in Scotland it's March to February, if that makes sense. You start primary at either 4 or 5 years old but in England you have to be at least 5 to start school. So, you can do Advanced Highers and start uni at 17 (like me) or you also have the option of leaving school a year early and go to uni at 16, but most don't do this though I knew a few who left school early and started at 16. I doubt any unis in England would be willing to take on a 16 year old anyway, but Scottish unis seems quite happy to.

In the past, people in Scotland use to leave school (with only Highers) a year earlier than English people did, hence why Scottish degrees are a year longer than English degrees but with Advanced Highers you can opt for 2nd year entry for some degrees and do a three year course. Sorry if my explanation is confusing.

I'm from England and I started school when I was four, so did most people I know, so I'm afraid that's not correct.
Reply 9
Ohh I see :biggrin:
It's not much of an age gap at all - carry on. :smile:
Original post by Vikki1805
I'm from England and I started school when I was four, so did most people I know, so I'm afraid that's not correct.

What age did you finish school?
What age did you finish school?

I finished school at 16/17, my birthday is in May, so I was one of the younger ones in my year at school, but in England, everyone starts school at four/five, and finishes at 16/17.
Other than the rare few who are moved up/down a year.

EG: My brother was moved up a year in primary school, so he started University at 17.
I finished school at 16/17, my birthday is in May, so I was one of the younger ones in my year at school, but in England, everyone starts school at four/five, and finishes at 16/17.

EG: My brother was moved up a year in primary school, so he started University at 17.

I meant Year 13. Did you start uni at 17?
Original post by Anonymous

Not at all, as long as they're both legal age isn't that relevant.
I meant Year 13. Did you start uni at 17?

No, I didn't do year 12/13, I left school (year 11) at 16.
I don't know what the laws are there, but in England at 16 you can...

1. Stay on at sixth form (year 12&13)
2. Go to college.
3. Just leave, do nothing/find a job/go your own way!

You sure? I'm probably one of the youngest in my year, and even I'll be 18 before I go to university.

OK, just read you finished in year 11, nvm. Still, I don't see how someone can be 17 at university unless they were moved up a year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by eff01

You didn't HAVE to be, but most freshers are above 18.
Original post by lukas1051
You sure? I'm probably one of the youngest in my year, and even I'll be 18 before I go to university.

OK, just read you finished in year 11, nvm. Still, I don't see how someone can be 17 at university unless they were moved up a year.

My brother was moved up a year in school, for being very intelligent, therefore he started University at 17, studying Physics I think.
Obviously most people start University at 18, my brother is an exception.

But what I'm saying is, in England you start school at four years old, or five years old.
ZombieCharge said in England everyone starts at five, and I said that's not correct.

I'm 100% certain :smile:
Nope. Not at all. Tap dat young ass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending