The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

surely you're not paying £200 a week.
Reply 21
Original post by Scumbaggio
surely you're not paying £200 a week.

No only 200 a month to help with bills. I buy my own food (apart from breakfast).
Yea, nothing to be ashamed of, why have your own place then and have no money to do anything?

I didn't think you'd be paying £200 a week !!
Reply 23
I'm 23 and moved out just before my 21st birthday, just after I got my first permanent/stable job and bought my first car (my uni is part-time distance learning so I'm still a student, but work full time). I wouldn't be ashamed to be living with my parents now, but I'd be frustrated. I like my own space and was very glad to move out when I did. Haven't regretted it for a second, but I think I'd certainly regret still living at home. I work normal hours, 37.5 hours a week (although overtime is available whenever I fancy it) and have plenty of money for social life and holidays etc. I guess I might think different if I was struggling though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
God blimey no. I know people who are married, have their own children and still live at home; an example being my Dad.
Original post by spursvey
I moved back home 9 months ago after travelling and living with friends. I pay 200 board which is nothing but it is what my mum only asks for. My father is not very well so i try help my mum out and it makes me feel better being here. Ive managed to save 10k in the time ive been in home but ive just got off the phone to a friend and she was asking if am not embarassed to be still living at home at 25 and i wondered if i should be?? She sounded like she pitied me. She moved out of home from manchester to london a year ago because she wanted to become more independent and got a transfer working as a sales assistant in river island, she told me she works 50 hours a week to keep up with her rent and bills and is still paying off her overdraft, but thinks its sad to be still living at home. am confused to what the big deal is living at home and wanted your views. I dont see any point me renting living with strangers when am happy at home and saving money. Thanks

It sounds like you need a better friend - she seems like an absolute bitch.

In answer to your question, no you shouldn't be ashamed. Everyone has different circumstances and there isn't a set age when you should leave home.
Reply 26
Nothing wrong with it. Young, free, single, saving lots of money. Hell I run my business(es) from home and pay out £250 a month to my mum for rent.
Not at all. The idea that people should move out in their early 20s was formed decades ago when houses were dirt cheap. This is no longer the case - many people simply can't afford to move out.
Original post by spursvey
Thanks for the replies, i feel alot better now rather than feeling like a loser! I didnt feel any problem with it until i spoke to my friend. Thinking about it, my friend hasnt really progressed in life by moving to london as shes doing the same job in riverisland as she would had living at home, apart from shes working an extra 30 hours a week to keep up with rent and bills. I should had ignored her comments. Thanks again

I don't understand why people do this. Unless of course there's no jobs where your parents live.
Reply 29
I am in a situation now where im living in a house share and not happy at all, so considering moving back home for a bit to save. I totally get where you are coming from!! I've had my independence from living alone at uni and in my own flat, but just can't afford it! Like the person said below, what the point spending all this money just to prove to other people you are independent. If it work for you do it!

I need to listen to my own advice!! So please know you are not alone in how you feel xx

Latest

Trending

Trending