The Student Room Group

University has made a mistake with my application!

I applied for university this year and was successful. I have since moved into accommodation at the University of Hertfordshire. My main focus is Japanese as I have studied it for 6 years and have an A Level in it, so I wanted to continue it at university. After attending an open day in April, I was told that the Japanese offered here is taught above A Level. However, when it came to choosing modules this week, I was informed that my Japanese is too advanced for the course, so I can't do it and would have to do something else. I was also told that there had been a mistake and my application for the subject should not have been accepted because of this. The university is looking into transferring me, but I think that will be very unlikely now. They have offered private tuition in Japanese if I stay here and study something else, but it will just be to keep it up, will not be included in my degree title and will probably not even be tutored up to a recognized qualification. So I either stay here and spend 3 years and a lot of money on learning a language I have no interest in with a small amount of Japanese on the side, or I leave and apply again to a different uni for next year, wasting a year. I have nooo idea what I should do. It also worries me that I am a mature student at 23, so if I leave and try again next year then I will be 28 when I finish university. Any advice on what I should do or what any of you would do in this situation?
This sounds awful. I would be FURIOUS in your shoes! If they knew you had A level Japanese then why on earth did they accept you.

I wouldnt stay there - it isnt the course you wanted to do is it and the solution they are offering is actually no solution at all. What are they doing to transfer you? If they arent doing this quickly you may miss out on significant bits at the start of the course at the other Uni. Find out how long this will take and chase things - phone other Unis yourself if you need to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending