The Student Room Group

the age old question...why do women like confidence in guys

And how can I show this without being arrogant?
Likewose how do I express in passing my insecuritied should I evet havr to without it turning into a self deprecating and depressing rant?
Do you think someone can be introverted-friendly and sociable but not naturally chatty-while being quietly confident? :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
^Yes.

But making dozens of threads on TSR/navel gazing all the time won't make you confident.

You gotta start living your life, man.

real talk
Women like what there not.
Reply 3
Original post by consumed by stuff
Women like what there not.

haha this is comedy gold, yet in some cases, surprisingly true...

Confidence i an attractive quality, whether it's your funny or you carry a good head on your shoulders. It can make up for a stark deficiency in your looks. I know many people like that.
Reply 4
You tend to grow alike with the people you spend time with. Spend time with happy, confident friends, and you yourself will feel happier and more confident.

So ask yourself: why would women want to spend time with someone with low self-esteem and anger issues for any reason other than pity?

I knew a girl who thought she could "save" this unemployed pothead with mental issues. Guess what, instead of helping him, he dragged her down and she because an unemployed pothead with mental issues instead. That's how it works, sadly.
Because most women are insecure. I know that's a huge generalisation, but I haven't met one who isn't yet. :redface:

Anyone who is insecure is naturally enthralled by someone confident. Being confident also goes hand in hand with other traits that taught you to be confident, such as being a leader or being capable or even just being handsome - which are obviously desirable for more grounded biological reasons.

The way to do it varies. I used to get stage fright a little when I was younger, and a coach sat me down one day and told me that he still got stage fright despite being in his 40s and having acted for decades. He told me that it didn't matter - because when his costume allowed he just wore thermals undernearth, and warmed his voice up properly before each show. This meant that even if he wasn't feeling confident, his voice sounded it. A full stomach helps with that too.

I've noticed that with other people, they reflect your body movements alot. If you fidget, it comes across as jumpy and tends to make the other person uneasy. If you sit still and make slow movements, they tend to feel like you won't surprise them or put them on edge. The way you breathe and walk does this too, go a step slower, not an amble but no rush, feet going slightly outwards as you stand rather than inwards.

I know some of that sounds a bit mumbo jumboey but I get called confident alot, my favourite being 'quietly confident'. I personally believe most of that was taught to me, so if I can share any of the stuff that helped me then I figure I might aswell try :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Riku you seriously have issues, just get out and live your life dude.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by redferry

PRSOM :frown: That's true, though
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Alpha brah
PRSOM :frown: That's true, though

he's been indoctrinated by all the absolute rubbish a lot of the, especially younger, members spout on here.

Some people need some help to do it :dontknow:
Reply 10
he's been indoctrinated by all the absolute rubbish a lot of the, especially younger, members spout on here.

It's absolutely stupid and juvenile on a lot of the threads here, tons of guys who clearly have serious issues with women and are sour grapes about not getting them taking to the Internet to say what they would obviously be scared ****less of saying in real life. And then gullible young people with insecurities read what they say and actually believe that crap.

Am taking a break from TSR for a bit as I'm tired of all the immaturity and bitterness coming from the peanut gallery.
Reply 11
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Some people need some help to do it :dontknow:

Posting these threads isn't helping him, he is just getting more and more indoctrinated by stupid teenage thinking and I am genuinely worried for his mental health.
Posting these threads isn't helping him, he is just getting more and more indoctrinated by stupid teenage thinking and I am genuinely worried for his mental health.

That's actually really fair. There's alot of crap touted on here, but I guess all we can really do is give him some tips to make him more confident and hope he takes them rather than listening to the nonsense brigade when they inevitably arrive.

I gave my advice from my own experience, but I'm older and feel like I know at least a little about what it is to be confident. I think that OP should take anyone posting angry bitter responses with a grain of salt, because they're probably not that confident or experienced on it.
Reply 13
It's absolutely stupid and juvenile on a lot of the threads here, tons of guys who clearly have serious issues with women and are sour grapes about not getting them taking to the Internet to say what they would obviously be scared ****less of saying in real life. And then gullible young people with insecurities read what they say and actually believe that crap.

Am taking a break from TSR for a bit as I'm tired of all the immaturity and bitterness coming from the peanut gallery.

A lot of these guys are for some reason bitter not having had a girl at like 17/18 even though it is perfectly normal to be in that position! TSR is full of 'nice guys' - they are among the lowest of humanity.

Yeah I leave intermittently and return with increasing cynicism.

Thing is TSR seems to bring the worst out of people. It is not representative of the whole population. A lot of these kids will grow out of their messed up attitudes.
Reply 14
A lot of these guys are for some reason bitter not having had a girl at like 17/18 even though it is perfectly normal to be in that position! TSR is full of 'nice guys' - they are among the lowest of humanity.

Yeah I leave intermittently and return with increasing cynicism.

Thing is TSR seems to bring the worst out of people. It is not representative of the whole population. A lot of these kids will grow out of their messed up attitudes.

I know, it's just stupid :ahee: Lots of girls haven't had a guy at 17 or 18 either, it is not the end of the world.

Hopefully they will :yep: I don't waste my time in real life associating with the bitter misogynist virgin types, though - there's no point really - and as far as I'm concerned, till TSR starts to mod itself better and stop people from creating 100000 threads a day on the Evil Wimmenz, I'm not spending any more time here either.
I think it's untrue to say that women prefer confident guys. But...like all people, they appreciate a strong shoulder when in need or when insecure feelings crop up.
It sounds like you own personal fears are constantly at the forefront of your mind and you probably forget that the women you encounter have needs as well.
In your case, I think it may well be helpful to be more attentive to the next women you get to know. Don't allow your own reservations and instincts to cloud your judgement and attempt to take as much as posible at face value.

You're worried about his mental health and you think what you posted will help him?
Reply 16
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
That's actually really fair. There's alot of crap touted on here, but I guess all we can really do is give him some tips to make him more confident and hope he takes them rather than listening to the nonsense brigade when they inevitably arrive.

I gave my advice from my own experience, but I'm older and feel like I know at least a little about what it is to be confident. I think that OP should take anyone posting angry bitter responses with a grain of salt, because they're probably not that confident or experienced on it.

I agree, he should take it with a pinch of salt - but he doesn't. They just lead him to have a more and more messed up view of the world and women in particular.

The descent from when he first started posting to now is tangible and it is such a shame.
I know, it's just stupid :ahee: Lots of girls haven't had a guy at 17 or 18 either, it is not the end of the world.

Hopefully they will :yep: I don't waste my time in real life associating with the bitter misogynist virgin types, though - there's no point really - and as far as I'm concerned, till TSR starts to mod itself better and stop people from creating 100000 threads a day on the Evil Wimmenz, I'm not spending any more time here either.

If anything I see a prevalence for misandry rather than misogyny. The mere critique of females is considered to be misogyny by the feminist bigrade and sympathetic neutrals.
Reply 18
Original post by keromedic
If anything I see a prevalence for misandry rather than misogyny. The mere critique of females is considered to be misogyny by the feminist bigrade and sympathetic neutrals.

You must be joking.

100000 threads a day on the evils of women, zero on the evils of men

Half of all Relationships threads turning into circle-jerks about how shallow/fickle/emotional etc. women are

Threads where women say they've been raped turning into half the posters on there bashing them for being "sloots" till the mods step in

People being labelled "misandrists" for daring to stick up for their own gender against the misogynists (Standing up for women is NOT hating men, Christ :facepalm:)

People hating feminists because equality and equal treatment are so bad, doncha know

seems legit :rolleyes:

You want to see misandry? Just imagine the opposite of TSR, a form where butthurt teenage women who can't get any run around bashing the opposite sex and trying to shout men down as a form of taking out their bitterness.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by keromedic
I think it's untrue to say that women prefer confident guys. But...like all people, they appreciate a strong shoulder when in need or when insecure feelings crop up.
It sounds like you own personal fears are constantly at the forefront of your mind and you probably forget that the women you encounter have needs as well.
In your case, I think it may well be helpful to be more attentive to the next women you get to know. Don't allow your own reservations and instincts to cloud your judgement and attempt to take as much as posible at face value.

You're worried about his mental health and you think what you posted will help him?

I think leaving TSR will help him!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending