The Student Room Group

Where in Asia has cheaer undergrad degrees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
I can't read this on my phone but did you check if they refer to the Singaporean a-levels instead of the British ones? The Singaporean ones are two grades more difficult. That'd make it 2As and 2Bs. I obviously was exaggerating there because there are a lot of universities around but that's not far off from what Oxbridge are asking for.

Yeah, they're Singaporean A levels. The point about Singaporean A levels being more difficult than UK A levels is debatable, but even then, Cs and Ds are just passing grades, and if people can get into 'good' unis with passing grades, it shows that the requirement of getting into a good uni in Asia isn't as stringent as people think.
Original post by Okorange
Depends on the place as well. People from places like Singapore and Hong Kong often find it easier to get into a UK medical school as an international than getting into their own medical schools due to competition.

That's true to a limited extent. There are a lot of UK medical schools, so some are potentially harder to get into. Brand names like Oxbridge are probably harder to get into. I know for a fact that Oxford's medical school takes very, very few international students, and it is very unlikely that those who were rejected by their own country's medical school will be accepted by Oxbridge. Even then, those people who are accepted by a UK medical school are a minute percentage of people who were rejected by their own country's medical school, i.e. there are probably a lot more people who are rejected by both UK medical schools and their own local medical school, and given the limited number of places the competition is still probably very fierce.

There are a total of 586 places for international students(assuming 7.5% cap). But the number is less because of schools like Oxford.

The competition is not a walk in the park. For oxford's case, the applicant to offer ratio is 1:100. The interview to offer ratio is slightly better, at 17:200.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Also Asia is broad Tsinghua and Peking Uni are ridiculously competitive, all of China wants to get into those schools and just going by population ratios they are much more competitive.

Yeah, those are probably the exceptions rather than the norm. The point made was that Asian Unis are harder to get into Oxbridge. It's unlikely to be true. Most asian unis have pretty low entry requirements as compared to Oxbridge, and they do this so that people have a chance to be university-educated, which is why the grade requirements seem very lenient.
Original post by 1drowssap
That's true to a limited extent. There are a lot of UK medical schools, so some are potentially harder to get into. Brand names like Oxbridge are probably harder to get into. I know for a fact that Oxford's medical school takes very, very few international students, and it is very unlikely that those who were rejected by their own country's medical school will be accepted by Oxbridge. Even then, those people who are accepted by a UK medical school are a minute percentage of people who were rejected by their own country's medical school, i.e. there are probably a lot more people who are rejected by both UK medical schools and their own local medical school, and given the limited number of places the competition is still probably very fierce.

There are a total of 586 places for international students(assuming 7.5% cap). But the number is less because of schools like Oxford.

The competition is not a walk in the park. For oxford's case, the applicant to offer ratio is 1:100. The interview to offer ratio is slightly better, at 17:200.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Yeah, those are probably the exceptions rather than the norm. The point made was that Asian Unis are harder to get into Oxbridge. It's unlikely to be true. Most asian unis have pretty low entry requirements as compared to Oxbridge, and they do this so that people have a chance to be university-educated, which is why the grade requirements seem very lenient.

I believe its only Oxford that doesn't take its cap. Cambridge doesn't take its cap but still takes a good number each year around 14? The competition is fierce no doubt Edinburgh had an applicant to place ratio of 42:1 for its international medical spots. I heard this straight from a HK med student studying in the UK that medicine in HK is nearly impossible.

Ok if we are talking about most then sure, but the competition is intense in asia and lets keep it real here the amount of work asian students put into getting into university is unreal including IV lines for parenteral nutrition (no need to eat), add on to the incredible numbers the best universities in Asia are way more competitive than Oxbridge.
(edited 9 years ago)
I believe its only Oxford that doesn't take its cap. Cambridge doesn't take its cap but still takes a good number each year around 14? The competition is fierce no doubt Edinburgh had an applicant to place ratio of 42:1 for its international medical spots. I heard this straight from a HK med student studying in the UK that medicine in HK is nearly impossible.

Ok if we are talking about most then sure, but the competition is intense in asia and lets keep it real here the amount of work asian students put into getting into university is unreal including IV lines for parenteral nutrition (no need to eat), add on to the incredible numbers the best universities in Asia are way more competitive than Oxbridge.

I know what you mean. I'm one of those international medical students too. But I don't really want to give away too much of my identity away online on a student forum. It is very tough, and it does seem true anecdotally, but think of it this way, a fair comparison can only be made if we are able to know all the successful HK medical school applicants who had applied for UK schools as well. So the info is incomplete.

I would like to say that in my personal opinion, the British students work really hard too, and I do really appreciate the fact that a lot of students back home would love to be in my position, if given the chance.
Original post by clh_hilary
Who cares what China does?

:lol: Well said.

For the record, OP, I think you should re-evaluate your motives for a second undergrad degree. Should you manage to get into an Asian university, going there just because 'it's (possibly) cheaper and easier to get into' is not the right attitude to have, and you'll probably end up failing anyway if that's what you're after. Admittedly, Asian universities may not have Oxbridge's edge, but the good ones are still extremely competitive and incredibly hard to get into. Also, the fact that your title post was full of spelling errors and typos don't reflect well on your academic attitude as a whole - it just seems that you're just trying to look for the 'easy' way out.

Why don't you try looking at some websites like this one to decide where your interests would fit in best: http://www.topuniversities.com/where-to-study/region/asia/guide.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending