Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I joined my university on a sandwich degree with an Integrated Foundation Year.

    It was stated multiple times that I may ask SFE for funding help during my whole period which was 5 years (BEng + sandwich year +Integrated foundation year)

    SFE agreed, although due to my previous studies (2 years college) entitled me to one year less than I needed. (5+1-2=4).

    The foundation year has been paid for otherwise, and I received funding for my 1st and 2nd year from SFE. During the summer to my 3 year I failed to obtain a placement and had no choice but to change mode of study from sandwich to full time.

    SFE requested a back transfer for 1st and 2nd year - they said that my "new" course has no integrated foundation year, but because it is on my record, they had to count it as high education prior to my "current" degree along with the college years.

    Apparently the university is not providing SFE the correct information, and in the course of changing my mode of study put me on a course that excludes the integrated foundation year. As a consequence my degree duration went down by 1 year (exclusion of foundation year) and an additional year has been added to my "high education years prior to my course". My new assessment was 3+1-3=1 - thats 2 years less than before (ignoring the loss of placement funding).

    After a long correspondence with SFE I've asked my university Finance office for advice - they've agreed to assist me, which was back in bloody October. They've even told me they'd take it up their management team. It's now mid January, and the Finance Office does not reply to my emails regarding this issue.

    I have no money to pay for this - I was given no good reason to believe I would need to, since for 3 years SFE led me to believe I was entitled enough funding to last my degree length and now I no longer am.

    I will not receive my degree without the resolution of this - any advice?
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    You should definitely be able to receive the funding for the course, we just need the University to send us through confirmation that you are now on the 4 year degree including the integrated foundation year. Once they do that, you shouldn't have any further problems.

    It should just be a case of them sending an electronic change of circumstances to put you onto that course, but perhaps if that is not the usual course for students then it might be more complicated as they will need to add that specific course to the database, they should definitely be able to do this though.

    The easiest thing to do is to ask them to call us on the HEI helpline, it's a department set up purely to help Uni's with these kinds of problems, they should have the phone number for it. If you can speak to someone and just get them to phone us, we should be able to help them sort it out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.