The Student Room Group

Pregnancy / Sex scare

This is probably going to sound really dumb and pointless but its something i've been stressing over for a while and I could use some closure...

So, me and my boyfriend really enjoy having sex (no slut shamming pls sex is great and we've been together for a long time) and I do take the pill.

But every time after we have sex I completely stress out over whether I'm pregnant or not. Is this normal? I know I'm taking the pill and so I shouldn't be stressing so much but I cant help it.

I just want reassurance... Is it totally normal to just use the pill as a method of contraception or do most couples use condoms aswell? Can you let me know what you guys take and if I'm being really risky just taking the pill.

Thanks x
Why would anyone give you grief about being sexual?

Both are normal - millions of people find the pill is reliable enough for them but plenty of women like using condoms as well. That can be because of the extra protection against pregnancy, because condoms protect against STIs, or because they don't like having semen inside them.

If you're this worried, you can either use condoms too or consider something like the implant which is staggeringly reliable as a method of contraception.
I'm on the pill, and just before I have my period I get mega anxious about being pregnant. This (i'm guessing) is to do with me being hormonal, I looked up early signs of pregnancy once and they are very similar to signs of just coming onto your period. I sometimes use condoms as well as the pill mainly if I know i'm close to having a period (therefore very likely to be ovulating) or during certain times like exams in which I dont need the stress of wondering if i'm pregnant. But usually it's nice to not have to bother all the time with a condom :wink:
Reply 3
So I stopped taking my pill early so I could force my period in the hope that I could get some closure.

I've been off the pill 4 days and theres no sign of my period, i'm really starting to freak out and i'm losing sleep... I'm stressing so much right in the middle of my exams and I don't know what to do
Original post by melhoneybee17
I'm on the pill, and just before I have my period I get mega anxious about being pregnant. This (i'm guessing) is to do with me being hormonal, I looked up early signs of pregnancy once and they are very similar to signs of just coming onto your period. I sometimes use condoms as well as the pill mainly if I know i'm close to having a period (therefore very likely to be ovulating) or during certain times like exams in which I dont need the stress of wondering if i'm pregnant. But usually it's nice to not have to bother all the time with a condom :wink:

You don't ovulate on the pill (well not suppose to anyway) it primarily works by preventing ovulation. Even if you weren't on hormonal contraception and ovulated it wouldn't happen close to your period; it would happen mid cycle.

To answer the OP: I have a copper coil and I keep track of my cycle so I have a rough idea of when I'm most fertile and my boyfriend and I backup with condoms then. I've been told I'm over cautious for this but neither of us want kids yet so it puts our minds at ease.

Quick Reply

Latest