The Student Room Group

Do you think that marriage is important?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3

Note to self: never marry a woman like this :mmm:

It depends on people. It's my personal opinion and my husband is well aware of it. I love him and want to spend my life with him whether married or not. He had the same opinion. It just so happens we needed to be married for various reasons so we said why not?
I mean marriage is great but it's not a necessity unless because of cultural/religious reasons and/or paperwork etc.

If marriage means a lot to you then fair enough but don't expect people to have the same opinion (I find your comment a tad insulting).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3

Bit sexist. Have you considered the possibility that:

A) A wifey may earn more than you

B) A wifey's contribution is still valuable even if it may not amount to as much in pecuniary terms as your own

C) You may both chose wisely in terms of life partners

D) A judge may award a 50/50 split e.g. in cases where there are no common child dependants

This sums up my reasoning.
‘Ultimately, men know there’s a good chance they’ll lose their friends, their respect, their space, their sex life, their money and if it all goes wrong their family,’ Dr Helen Smith, author of Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood And The American Dream.‘They don’t want to enter into a legal contract with someone who could effectively take half their savings, pension and property when the honeymoon period is over.‘Men aren’t wimping out by staying unmarried or being commitment phobes. They’re being smart.’When British businessman Alan Miller married his first wife, Melissa, in 2003, he thought it was for ever. She immediately decided to give up work, including her £85,000 salary, to become what is known as a ‘Harvey Nichols wife’ spending her time shopping and lunching.When they separated just two years and nine months later, he was forced to pay her a £5million divorce settlement, which included his £2.3million home in Chelsea and a £2.7million lump sum despite the fact they did not have children. That’s £5,000 a day of marriage. Ker-ching!
Original post by loveleest
Would you stay in a long term relationship, without getting married?

In secondary school, my English teacher was in a long relationship with her partner for 25 years (not married), and believed that marriage is "Just a piece of paper" and it doesn't mean anything at all. She said that her and her partner were never planning to get married at all because they believe it is unnecessary and a waste of money, just to splash out so much money in a day and it is not even guaranteed you will stay together forever.
However she does believe how to whole "Marriage system" works is unfair because I am sure that there are some things that married couple can do that partners can't do, despite how long they have been together- (I am not sure what it is, enlighten me please)

...So yeah, what are your opinions on marriage?

it depends if u follow a religion then marriage is really important becuz it can save u from a lot of sin for example some christians believe that not getting married and ur in a relationship and u have sex then u have commited adultery as in the bible it sas thou shakt not commit nadultery so it cn save u from a lot of sin
But gay marriage wasn't even legal then anyway, so he had no choice to just stay in a relationship with no marriage

Sorry - should've clarified, his partner was female
Marriage (and monogamy in general) is one of those things on which my view has come almost full-circle. I used to be very anti-marriage and anti-commitment but recently I've come to think that, yes, I would like to get married, should I find somebody suitable. In addition to the legal perks of it, I just see it as a natural move for a relationship and would probably want to be married even if the institution was entirely privatised.

I suppose this is one of the few social matters on which I might be described as a conservative or a traditionalist. It's just a sentimental preference, I guess. :redface: :dontknow:
I remember talking to a cousin about marriage. His finacee wants to get married. (they're getting married next year) But he'd rather not. His parents split up when he was a child and his mum has been married and divorced twice since then. He said he's happy enough it just being them and their two sons.

I was once asked by someone who I wasn't even dating (yes, really!) if I wanted to marry him. :s-smilie: He'd been married before and I had no interest in marrying him at all.
I kinda like the idea of getting married, but not the idea of the actual wedding day. Seems really pointless doing all the fancy stuff, but dem married couple perks tho.

The wedding day tho, just you're gonna get all stressed organising all the crap and then you're gonna spend the day trying to not look like a fool and then other people's kids will be there being ****s... just sounds a tad rubbish.
In this society, marriage is becoming less and less the 'done thing' especially with this 'side-chick' type culture..

Personally, I want to get married as I believe it creates more stability in general, only when the relationship is solid beforehand. :smile:

I also don't agree with grotesquely expensive weddings just for show... Because they are exactly that - just for show!
Would you stay in a long term relationship, without getting married?

In secondary school, my English teacher was in a long relationship with her partner for 25 years (not married), and believed that marriage is "Just a piece of paper" and it doesn't mean anything at all. She said that her and her partner were never planning to get married at all because they believe it is unnecessary and a waste of money, just to splash out so much money in a day and it is not even guaranteed you will stay together forever.
However she does believe how to whole "Marriage system" works is unfair because I am sure that there are some things that married couple can do that partners can't do, despite how long they have been together- (I am not sure what it is, enlighten me please)

...So yeah, what are your opinions on marriage?

If you're a man getting married in this day and age, I got some bad news for you bud....

50% chance your marriage is going to end, and 100% chance your wife is going to take half your stuff.

Marriage as a man?....No thank you, not even once

Marriage is just a formality. If it's a piece of paper that's making you take care of your kids and stay faithful to your partner, then you're a chitty human being.

If you're a woman, marriage is great, all upside.
Original post by Just_Another_One
4812-o.jpgEnough said.

Can confirm this. I am black guy that the wife cheats with.

Not even kidding, but I'm currently on a sex dating site talking to a woman who's cheating on her husband, and am now trying to convince her to cheat on her husband with me :h:
Nah I don't see the big deal.
mate, is everything ok with you?

For some reason you're making all these serious posts now, I'm worried something's wrong with you.
I want to get married someday so yes it is important to me.
Reply 33
Marriage to me is important. If I do get married at any point in the future, I would only get married in a church and have a religious service. A civil service and then a blessing to me would not be a suitable compromise. Church wedding or no wedding.
OKAY it might be on a piece of paper..
But when you get married its about that special day spending it with all the other people you love in your life e.g.: family and friends.
And letting people know that you have your other half and are happy :smile:
BUT tbh nowadays the concept of marriage is to show off everything from both sides of the family...
A simple marriage is best :smile:
Original post by Katty3
Marriage to me is important. If I do get married at any point in the future, I would only get married in a church and have a religious service. A civil service and then a blessing to me would not be a suitable compromise. Church wedding or no wedding.

Does that mean you would only marry someone of the same religion as yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by donutaud15
Does that mean you would only marry someone of the same religion as yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would marry someone of a different religion, but I would only ever get married in a church.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to get married.

Honestly, I can acknowledge how pointless it all is - it's the knowledge that you love each other that matters, not a ring on a finger or a piece of paper, but ... still, I want to get married. I can't explain it myself.

I blame social conditioning, to be honest. :colonhash:
No. Marriage is a backwards ideal created by religion.
Original post by Katty3
I would marry someone of a different religion, but I would only ever get married in a church.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The church has the blood of millions on its hands, nice to know the company you wish to be with on your wedding day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending