The Student Room Group

Finding a partner this day and age - scared I am doing to end up alone!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Tinder is HORRIBLE. Period. I'd rather die alone that use that actually 😅

I have personally met three people on Tinder that have become great friends who I talk to everyday, meet up for coffee etc. I am starting to think it is your attitude that causes you to be alone.
I will condense this as much as possible despite the fact I feel like ranting due to my frustration on this topic.

I am a 22 year old female second year undergraduate psychology student who plans to study on to be a clinical psychologist (hopefully) but everyone at uni are mostly overseas students, are very antisocial or only got into uni through clearing (it's low ranked at the bottom of the league tables, one of the worst in the UK so you can imagine what the people are like) When I try to make plans they never work and nobody puts the effort to talk to me outside of uni unless it's coursework or exam related.

I even tried going to the student union a few times and didn't click with anyone as most of the guys were 28+ and abit Pervy. Tbh, at this point I have NO life outside of uni and my social life and dating has hit rock bottom.

I even resorted to setting up an online dating profile to meet new guys and friends and it didn't end up well, the guys were so socially award that they could not hold a conversation, talking to them was like digging for gold or the remaining guys were VERY desperate and pushy so I removed my profile. I also had a bad date from online dating last summer as they guy wanted to just use me for sex.

I thought if I am struggling to even find a decent guy to even talk to despite the fact I am not socially awkward or bad looking (in fact I get harassed a lot in my area) Imagine if my life is still going to be same when I study on for my masters and PhD and when am in my late 20's and thirties when I should be settling down having kids and getting married.

I am so worried over this, I think if I am struggling to find a partner now I never will. My last relationship was bad, I met him at college and been single for a year and a half.

What would you do if you was me? Any help would be need! I even am considering fertility treatment to avoid missing the chance of having children as I don't think I will have them the normal way the way my life is going now :frown:

:smile: hey, don't worry, there are plenty of people in your position. You're only 22 so thinking about the rest of your life with such a doom and gloom attitude is not the right thing to do and will only make you feel worse.

I'm the same age as you and I have no life, not many friends I spend time with as everyone has different lives and study/ work different places and no longer all live in my city, London. My dating life is, well, non existent. I guess this is because I have a 'not bothered' attitude for certain things and if we get to June and I'm still single then I would have been single for a year (which is almost 100% certain because I don't make an effort right now for girlfriends and haven't really done for a long time etc.).

I'm in a similar situation to you in some respects and look forward to a certain point in time until I then see myself doing more of what I want to do and living how I want to. Just don't look forward to the future too much and expect to be happy at a one and only point in time because that point in time never comes!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by stefano865
C'mon. There are some complete f*ckwits out there.

She doesn't want a guy who thinks lighting his own farts is a great joke.

Hardly makes her a snob. :rolleyes:

No, but the rest of the content certainly gives an impression of the attitude.
Tinder is a dating app, you don't use tinder to make friends. Most people on there want hook ups, I also know people who didn't like it neither.
I have better things to do than spend my day swiping left and right.
Original post by Lemon Haze
I have personally met three people on Tinder that have become great friends who I talk to everyday, meet up for coffee etc. I am starting to think it is your attitude that causes you to be alone.
I'm sorry in my opinion dating apps RARELY have decent people and most of the guys (not all) are defective and are at the bottom of the social pile. hence why they have to join a dating app. They either (from my experience) can't pull a girl because they can't hold a good conversation and it is like digging for gold to try keep the conversation going, they also can't get a woman because they don't want nothing serious and decent women can see right through them in real life so they have to try elsewhere or they are running out of "resources". Oh and not to mention I spoke to a guy and exchanged digits, he came up as a friend suggestion as I had his number saved and his Facebook photos looked NOTHING like his photos on OKCupid (that's what I used). I showed both photos to a friend and they actually thought it was two different people, it's just too risky in my opinion that's why I feel like I should build my life more around academics so I will never have to resort to those options again.

Yes there are legitimately a very small percentage of decent people but you'd have to weed them out of hundreds of people who don't have good intentions.

I had a really **** experience with someone I met on dating website also so that's my opinion.. Call me stuck up, I don't care. I got a life to build rather than argue with people who know nothing about my life and choose to judge. But it was good to get my point across and find others who feel the same.
I'm sorry in my opinion dating apps RARELY have decent people and most of the guys (not all) are defective and are at the bottom of the social pile. hence why they have to join a dating app. They either (from my experience) can't pull a girl because they can't hold a good conversation and it is like digging for gold to try keep the conversation going, they also can't get a woman because they don't want nothing serious and decent women can see right through them in real life so they have to try elsewhere or they are running out of "resources". Oh and not to mention I spoke to a guy and exchanged digits, he came up as a friend suggestion as I had his number saved and his Facebook photos looked NOTHING like his photos on OKCupid (that's what I used). I showed both photos to a friend and they actually thought it was two different people, it's just too risky in my opinion that's why I feel like I should build my life more around academics so I will never have to resort to those options again.

Yes there are legitimately a very small percentage of decent people but you'd have to weed them out of hundreds of people who don't have good intentions.

I had a really **** experience with someone I met on dating website also so that's my opinion.. Call me stuck up, I don't care. I got a life to build rather than argue with people who know nothing about my life and choose to judge. But it was good to get my point across and find others who feel the same.

Not to be mean. But you're at the "bottom of the social pile" like they are so you have to use tinder too.
I'm in a similar situation - in my case it's because of my uncommon ethnicity/cultural group which rules out lots of guys, and because I don't drink so can't partake in many of the social activities at university, and because I've moved a lot and I don't really have a community I belong to so I don't meet any guys who share my ethnicity/cultural group. It's true that you've got a lot of time left, but the thing is, you just expect to meet someone at university don't you. University is typically seen as the place where you meet a longtime partner, (or so it appears to me) but it hasn't delivered in that regard.

Hm.. But. But but but. There's still the world of work :smile: lots of people meet their partners and even best friends at work so there's still some hope there. Don't despair just yet.

After reading this I have concluded you are simply unattractive. But its okay, just stick to academics like you said. I have met loads of amazing people on Tinder (and even Omegle) and I am definitely not at the "bottom on the social pile" or "defective". How do you know it is not you how can't keep the conversation going and that's why they don't put in the effort?
Pm me your pics. Will let you know if you get the gig of being with me

Yeah that's a useful attitude to have!.What is your ethnicity and body type? Maybe you're just not attractive.
i personally think its because ur in denial about ur sexuality just go suck a willy or lick a vag plz
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I felt exactly the same as you when I was your age. However now I understand that life and relationships for most people don't start until they graduate University.

I am sorry if I make it out that I am a lot older than you as I am actually only 26 myself. I remember this time last year thinking exactly the same thing and was considering joining a dating site. However now I have a boyfriend who I love and live with. We have only been together for 11 months but it has been so easy.

Like people have said here already you need to just have faith that it will all work out and remember you are still young.

My advice would be just focus on your degree and sorting your career out. Also worry about friends more than relationships. Especially as the most successful relationships I have seen started in a social sitauation for example at a sports/socail club, through a mutal friend or just out with friends at a bar, etc. I met my boyfriend at a bar for my flatmate's birthday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending