The Student Room Group

Applying from abroad (Postgraduate)

Hi there, I'm currently unsure about if I'd be eligible for a student loan for my post graduate degree this year. I've managed to call the SLC twice and asked two people who gave me two completely different answers. The first one said I'd be ineligible and the other said it was fine. I'd love a bit more solidarity from this if possible as it seems a bit confusing.

For the three years the SLC requires reference for I was working abroad for the first year in Japan, I came back to the UK to find work the second year and ended up with only part time jobs for a year. I decided I needed to get full time work somewhere just to stop sponging of friends and family. I came back to Japan and am currently working again and have done for a year.

I consider the UK my home residence and have no real "home" here as jobs tend to end after a year and you have to get a new one. This often means moving around the country. I wish to come back to the UK and complete a masters in TESOL so I can teach people with language difficulties within the UK.

It seems to be a gray area, I've also been offered a new contract this year too but I'm unsure if accepting will affect my loan chances for this year if I cancel the employment contract part way through. Any information would be helpful, thanks.
Original post by ARTHOMAS1986
Hi there, I'm currently unsure about if I'd be eligible for a student loan for my post graduate degree this year. I've managed to call the SLC twice and asked two people who gave me two completely different answers. The first one said I'd be ineligible and the other said it was fine. I'd love a bit more solidarity from this if possible as it seems a bit confusing.

For the three years the SLC requires reference for I was working abroad for the first year in Japan, I came back to the UK to find work the second year and ended up with only part time jobs for a year. I decided I needed to get full time work somewhere just to stop sponging of friends and family. I came back to Japan and am currently working again and have done for a year.

I consider the UK my home residence and have no real "home" here as jobs tend to end after a year and you have to get a new one. This often means moving around the country. I wish to come back to the UK and complete a masters in TESOL so I can teach people with language difficulties within the UK.

It seems to be a gray area, I've also been offered a new contract this year too but I'm unsure if accepting will affect my loan chances for this year if I cancel the employment contract part way through. Any information would be helpful, thanks.

If your visa and work contracts show that your stay abroad has been temporary and you can prove that you still have a "home" in the UK (for example if you've kept your driving licence, bank account etc at your parents address, if you have paid UK tax or best of all if you've kept your correspondence address for the SLC as your parents address) then you'll still be classed as ordinarily resident in the UK.

For the PGL you need to prove residence in England not just the UK - which I'm assuming is the case for you if you're posting in the SFE forum.

I'd recommend applying as soon as applications open (at the moment the best information we have is June/July - if you check back in mid May those dates might be more certain) to give yourself time to deal with any requests for evidence and any problems or issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending