The Student Room Group

DoI legally have to give any notice if I quit inside one month?

Basically, I started a new job toward the end of last month to tide me over for uni. On top of not really liking the job (contact centre work with lots of shouty customers), I've come to realise that the amount of hours I signed up for on my contract is just going to be unmanageable.

I've been talking with my course director over the past week and he says my work will suffer if I continue to do the hours I'm currently doing. I've worked out how many hours I know I could realistically do but I know for a fact my boss won't allow me to do them so I'm thinking of just quitting altogether.

I read my contract and it says after one month, I have to give one months notice. It hasn't been one month yet (I signed my contract on the 26th of August) so do I need to give any notice at all?

I know leaving with no notice is extremely bad form but I'm simply not prepared to let anything interfere with my coursework, if I can help it.

Also, if I did leave, could they legally withhold my pay?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Squire1998
Basically, I started a new job toward the end of last month to tide me over for uni. On top of not really liking the job (contact centre work with lots of shouty customers), I've come to realise that the amount of hours I signed up for on my contract is just going to be unmanageable.

I've been talking with my course director over the past week and he says my work will suffer if I continue to do the hours I'm currently doing. I've worked out how many hours I know I could realistically do but I know for a fact my boss won't allow me to do them so I'm thinking of just quitting altogether.

I read my contract and it says after one month, I have to give one months notice. It hasn't been one month yet (I signed my contract on the 26th of August) so do I need to give any notice at all?

I know leaving with no notice is extremely bad form but I'm simply not prepared to let anything interfere with my coursework, if I can help it.

They can't legally withhold pay. If you quit without notice then they could refuse to give you a reference, or could mention this in any reference that you do get.
Original post by Juno
They can't legally withhold pay. If you quit without notice then they could refuse to give you a reference, or could mention this in any reference that you do get.

I agree.
Id give them either 1 week or 2 weeks notice, just to be nice, so you dont leave on bad terms etc (you never know when you might need a reference/the job on your CV or whatever).
Id speak to your boss though- i know you dont think it will happen, but you never know, theres a chance that he could reduce your hours for you.

Just resign with a short simple resignation letter before the month is up and then you dont have to give any notice.

Its better you do it before rather than after.

They arent entitled to withhold pay, but if they so choose then they could be a pain about it. best sort it out with patroll beforehand. Sounds like a big place so they will be used to people coming and going all the time. Payroll can tell you how much money is due to you, so get that in writing.

You dont have to give them any notice, but if you wish, then you could agree to give them a few days if you want and they need you, They wont.

Not sure about withholding pay, but I quit a job after about 3 weeks on the spot and didn't work any notice period (couldnt return to the workplace because of another member of staff's treatment of me). tempted to say f them, but if theres no real reason you cant work the notice then i would do it anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending