The Student Room Group

I never feel excited when I'm in a relationship

I never look forward to hanging out, I never miss them. I've never felt that excitement the other feels when we're about to hang out. Basically I'm never trulely happy or feel that passion. I haven't seen my bf in two weeks and I've been so ok with that. I'm content him on the other hand isn't liking it which is very understandable, but I feel no urge. Like he says it's always him making all the effort and if it wasn't for him there would be no relationship.

It always take me losing someone to actually care about anything but then idk if it's just me missing the attention.

I'm NEVER into my relationships I'm always so content with being single.

Is anyone like this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xobeauty
I never look forward to hanging out, I never miss them. I've never felt that excitement the other feels when we're about to hang out. Basically I'm never trulely happy or feel that passion. I haven't seen my bf in two weeks and I've been so ok with that. I'm content him on the other hand isn't liking it which is very understandable, but I feel no urge. Like he says it's always him making all the effort and if it wasn't for him there would be no relationship.

It always take me losing someone to actually care about anything but then idk if it's just me missing the attention.

Is anyone like this?

Make that the 2 of us :smile:
Original post by will'o'wisp
Make that the 2 of us :smile:

:smile: that's awesome. Some people feel needy and love to be in relationships but for me it's like a job.

I hate sharing beds. Whenever I end up sleeping on the sofa my bf gets upset. I need my own space like what's the big deal and it doesn't help that his cat thinks she's a princess and sleeps right in my face even when I nudge her, she doesn't care and doesn't move. I was like this with my ex- I just need my own space!!!!! My own life. I always have to check in, what I'm doing. Make a phone call before bed say goodnight. It's easy stuff but I don't feel the urge to give or even receive, I have zero expections for the guy either. I get awesome guys, attentive, loving, I'm sure every girl would appreciate a goodnight and good morning text- but for me it doesn't do anything. And omg if I don't do this same from time to time it's a problem.

I know I'm special I don't depend on someone else to make me feel that way. I told that to my bf and he said it's just to show the other person you're thinking about them. And then I feel like an *******. I'm so lost.

I do not know what I'm doing. I don't know how to be a good gf.
:smile: that's awesome. Some people feel needy and love to be in relationships but for me it's like a job.

I hate sharing beds. Whenever I end up sleeping on the sofa my bf gets upset. I need my own space like what's the big deal and it doesn't help that his cat thinks she's a princess and sleeps right in my face even when I nudge her, she doesn't care and doesn't move. I was like this with my ex- I just need my own space!!!!! My own life. I always have to check in, what I'm doing. Make a phone call before bed say goodnight. It's easy stuff but I don't feel the urge to give or even receive, I have zero expections for the guy either. I get awesome guys, attentive, loving, I'm sure every girl would appreciate a goodnight and good morning text- but for me it doesn't do anything. And omg if I don't do this same from time to time it's a problem.

I know I'm special I don't depend on someone else to make me feel that way. I told that to my bf and he said it's just to show the other person you're thinking about them. And then I feel like an *******. I'm so lost.

I do not know what I'm doing. I don't know how to be a good gf.

lmao, same but on the guy side.. would literally tell my gf goodnight at 6pm so I can go play games.. and I just cba to put effort sometimes when it's meaningless
Original post by gr8wizard10
lmao, same but on the guy side.. would literally tell my gf goodnight at 6pm so I can go play games.. and I just cba to put effort sometimes when it's meaningless

Yea same I'll text him if I could avoid calling him to say goodnight at like 8pm just so I could watch a movie or something and not have to pay him attention and it's not like I don't enjoy talking to him or whatever actually it's mediocre it's just I need my alone time. I love just chilling by myself ! Doing nothing with no one.

The only time I ever feel excited is when I'm getting to know someone. That's the best stage.

Is anyone like this?

I can totally relate to this. My girlfriends have all complained that I seem not to think about them when they're not there, and my lack of texting etc always emotionally affects them more than it would do me if the situation were reversed. I'm happy having someone I can count on when I need them, and I value the sex and the friendship, but I also like doing things by myself and I don't need constant reassurance that I'm cared about. I also, like you, hate sharing a bed.

It's a shame because I do care about them, and I don't want to upset them, but I don't want to have a level of responsibility for their emotions that they don't have for mine. Not sure if I'm in the exact same situation as you but it sounds like the effect on the SO is quite similar.

And I feel the same with regards to breakups. I miss people a lot more when either I have a crush on them or when I've lost them.
Original post by Lavaridge
I can totally relate to this. My girlfriends have all complained that I seem not to think about them when they're not there, and my lack of texting etc always emotionally affects them more than it would do me if the situation were reversed. I'm happy having someone I can count on when I need them, and I value the sex and the friendship, but I also like doing things by myself and I don't need constant reassurance that I'm cared about. I also, like you, hate sharing a bed.

It's a shame because I do care about them, and I don't want to upset them, but I don't want to have a level of responsibility for their emotions that they don't have for mine. Not sure if I'm in the exact same situation as you but it sounds like the effect on the SO is quite similar.

And I feel the same with regards to breakups. I miss people a lot more when either I have a crush on them or when I've lost them.

Yes I feel the same way. Thing is I only see him on the weekend and still want space, like he would like a phone call during the week and i struggle to even text. But I remember one time I called him off the hook b.c he hadn't contact me most of the day.
Reply 7
Either you get it on a plate or you just have a laid back attitude. I get an enormous buzz from relationships and sex
Reply 8

Is anyone like this?

Maybe you're a lesbian and need try girls instead?
Original post by Sarahsez
Maybe you're a lesbian and need try girls instead?

I've had girls like me, I couldn't do it. They are too crazy.

Is anyone like this?

Yes, but just a sign of not the right person imo.
Calmed down over the weight thing? perhaps not being near him helps you from geting stressed about that?

Is anyone like this?

YES, when I am with guys (I'm a girl). This is what makes me gay. There is that nothingness with guys... no happiness, passion, some attraction (but nth strong). With girls? I'm not out and can't date girls, but I would be the happiest person in the world. It would be so right for my mind and soul and everything.

You might be like wtf when you see this suggestion, and I mean no offense, but maybe you're not into guys?? It can also be a spectrum.. maybe you are but you're more into girls? Part of realising I was gay was realising that I actually WASN'T cold, or unable to feel passion and happiness, but that I was just INCAPABLE of experiencing this with a guy. It made everything make sense.

Of course, you're probably gonna reply and say you're straight, and in that case I'm sorry (lol). It's just I wanted to post this because I would've made that post a couple of years ago.. with guys, no feelings, wondering what was wrong with me.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes, but just a sign of not the right person imo.
Calmed down over the weight thing? perhaps not being near him helps you from geting stressed about that?

My weight thing not really, yesterday I was feeling normal and then today it got to me again.
No as I said before I've always been like this in all my relationships, so it's not the stress of that.
My weight thing not really, yesterday I was feeling normal and then today it got to me again.
No as I said before I've always been like this in all my relationships, so it's not the stress of that.

I did say the best solution imo was just to get on with it for the next 3-4 months.

As for the other honestly think its because you just havent met the right one who ticks all your boxes. Do you feel you have had any really good bfs?
I did say the best solution imo was just to get on with it for the next 3-4 months.

As for the other honestly think its because you just havent met the right one who ticks all your boxes. Do you feel you have had any really good bfs?

Yea they pretty much do what I need and go over and beyond, they put effort more than me.
Yea they pretty much do what I need and go over and beyond, they put effort more than me.

Not the same.v Either you are emotionally dead or you just havent met the right person who you can connect with.
Not the same.v Either you are emotionally dead or you just havent met the right person who you can connect with.

That's crazy huh. I've always wondered if you were a guy or a woman.
Maybe you need to be with someone who thinks similarly to the way that you do about relationships?
You seem to have a lot of issues when it concerns relationships. Have you ever thought about therapy?
Do I need therapy or does everyone else need therapy? What would I need therapy on you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending