The Student Room Group

Boyfriends or parents household income? Under 25

Hi all,

I am 19 years old and have just started my second year as a full-time student on a foundation degree course. I currently live with my parents but I am wanting to move in with my boyfriend.

I was wondering whether my household income would be based on my parents household income still or my boyfriends? I don’t currently have a job, but if I moved in I probably would look into getting one. My household income is quite high so I don’t get a lot anyways (currently £2870.00 whilst living at home), and I’m worried that if I wanted to move out I wouldn’t be able to afford to do so, as it wouldn’t go up too much. It’s only so high because of my step-dads income, and although he has lived with us for the past 17 years - he doesn’t support me financially. Is there anything I can say to student finance so that they understand this? Or am I just stuck because he is married and living with my mum and I?

I tried asking student finance over the phone, who were no use. The girl put me on hold about 7 times and didn’t have a clue what to do or what the answer was, just telling me to go to the student finance calculator to see how much I’d be entitled to - which wasn’t really the question haha!

Sorry I’ve ranted on a bit, appreciate anyone who will actually read all this and even more so if anyone will answer :smile: thanks!!!
Original post by Erinlc98
Hi all,

I am 19 years old and have just started my second year as a full-time student on a foundation degree course. I currently live with my parents but I am wanting to move in with my boyfriend.

I was wondering whether my household income would be based on my parents household income still or my boyfriends? I don’t currently have a job, but if I moved in I probably would look into getting one. My household income is quite high so I don’t get a lot anyways (currently £2870.00 whilst living at home), and I’m worried that if I wanted to move out I wouldn’t be able to afford to do so, as it wouldn’t go up too much. It’s only so high because of my step-dads income, and although he has lived with us for the past 17 years - he doesn’t support me financially. Is there anything I can say to student finance so that they understand this? Or am I just stuck because he is married and living with my mum and I?

I tried asking student finance over the phone, who were no use. The girl put me on hold about 7 times and didn’t have a clue what to do or what the answer was, just telling me to go to the student finance calculator to see how much I’d be entitled to - which wasn’t really the question haha!

Sorry I’ve ranted on a bit, appreciate anyone who will actually read all this and even more so if anyone will answer :smile: thanks!!!

It goes on your parents income unless:
- you're estranged
- married before the start of the academic year (so if you get married now, it wouldn't have any impact unless next year)
- responsible for a child
- been self supporting for the last 3 years
Reply 2
If I wanted to change my application so that I was living away from my parents, how would I go about doing this? What is the process? And if I gained extra money in my maintanence loan from this, would it be backdated? And if so, would it be backdated straight away or in my second instalment in January?
Hi Erinlc98,

To change your application to indicate that you are living away from the parental home you would need to go into the option to 'change an application' then go into change your course details. You need to go through this part of the application again so that it takes you to where you would be asked where you would be living during the academic year for each of the three terms.

This allows us to reassess your application for the higher loan amount. The changes can take up to 19 working days to process. You can also update your personal details online as well to ensure we have your new term address. You can opt for your correspondence to go there or to your home address.

Once we process the changes to your loan amount you would get a new Notification of Entitlement (NOE) letter to confirm this. Any additional payments that you have missed from your first instalment would be backdated and paid to you within three to five working days and we would adjust your second and third instalment to include this.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending