The Student Room Group

i don't know how to help my brother

He is 19. He currently goes to college and hasn't done very well in his exams and has failed his GCSE. He is doing an engineering course and wants to become either a civil engineer or something else (I don't remember). It's understandable why he has been failing because in the last 5 years we have had a lot of family issues which I think has taken a real toll on him. I would like to help him in anyway I can so I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to let me know any way he would be able to become an engineer. Either through apprentices or just anything to be honest. Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Reply 1
There are foundation degrees that may take him, he could do an Access course in engineering if he does not have the required grades or qualifications. Apprenticeships are a decent option, but maybe not for a civil engineer, more so mechanical engineering. For example, the Navy, RAF and Army offer engineering apprenticeships 😊

He could also try to speak to a careers advisor at his college who should be able to point him in the right direction :biggrin:
is he the oldest in your family? have you asked him how he feels & what his plans are for the future? does his sixth form offer any advice e.g a counsellor of some sort?
Reply 3
Original post by Avaia
There are foundation degrees that may take him, he could do an Access course in engineering if he does not have the required grades or qualifications. Apprenticeships are a decent option, but maybe not for a civil engineer, more so mechanical engineering. For example, the Navy, RAF and Army offer engineering apprenticeships 😊

He could also try to speak to a careers advisor at his college who should be able to point him in the right direction :biggrin:

thanks i will try that!!
Reply 4
Original post by geidiprimes
is he the oldest in your family? have you asked him how he feels & what his plans are for the future? does his sixth form offer any advice e.g a counsellor of some sort?

Because his GCSE results were bad he wasn't able to get into sixth form so he went to college instead. He doesn't communicate much about how he feels. He has always been that way, also i am younger than him so i doubt he would feel comfortable telling me stuff like that. As for his plans he hasn't said exactly what type of engineer he would like to become he has just always said engineer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending