Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    He is 19. He currently goes to college and hasn't done very well in his exams and has failed his GCSE. He is doing an engineering course and wants to become either a civil engineer or something else (I don't remember). It's understandable why he has been failing because in the last 5 years we have had a lot of family issues which I think has taken a real toll on him. I would like to help him in anyway I can so I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to let me know any way he would be able to become an engineer. Either through apprentices or just anything to be honest. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

ReputationRep:
    There are foundation degrees that may take him, he could do an Access course in engineering if he does not have the required grades or qualifications. Apprenticeships are a decent option, but maybe not for a civil engineer, more so mechanical engineering. For example, the Navy, RAF and Army offer engineering apprenticeships 😊

He could also try to speak to a careers advisor at his college who should be able to point him in the right direction

is he the oldest in your family? have you asked him how he feels & what his plans are for the future? does his sixth form offer any advice e.g a counsellor of some sort?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    There are foundation degrees that may take him, he could do an Access course in engineering if he does not have the required grades or qualifications. Apprenticeships are a decent option, but maybe not for a civil engineer, more so mechanical engineering. For example, the Navy, RAF and Army offer engineering apprenticeships 😊

He could also try to speak to a careers advisor at his college who should be able to point him in the right direction
    thanks i will try that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geidiprimes)
    is he the oldest in your family? have you asked him how he feels & what his plans are for the future? does his sixth form offer any advice e.g a counsellor of some sort?
    Because his GCSE results were bad he wasn't able to get into sixth form so he went to college instead. He doesn't communicate much about how he feels. He has always been that way, also i am younger than him so i doubt he would feel comfortable telling me stuff like that. As for his plans he hasn't said exactly what type of engineer he would like to become he has just always said engineer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.