The Student Room Group

What's the difference in meaning of these insults?

What is the difference in meaning between these insults:

- a retard
- a freak

Both were brandished about a lot at school, and I found both to be equally hurtful when I was called them.

Is there any actual difference in menaing?

Which is worse?

Scroll to see replies

To me freak means weird/different/odd in some way and retard is a derogatory word for the mentally disabled. I consider retard to be worse.
Reply 2
Which is more insulting?
Original post by Anonymous
Which is more insulting?

Retard imo as not only are they basically calling you 'stupid' and 'slow', they're also bringing disabled people into it. I never really felt insulted by being called a freak; it just means 'different' to me.
I'd say freak is worse.
Reply 5
What about 'Zombie boy'?
If you're a freak then you're weird; an outcast; different, in the worst way possible; an oddball. If you're called a retard, you're basically being called stupid.
Reply 7
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
If you're a freak then you're weird; an outcast; different, in the worst way possible; an oddball. If you're called a retard, you're basically being called stupid.

Which is more insulting?
sometimes these are combined ....freaktard ?

:s-smilie:
Words are hurtful if you let them get to you.

Don't hand that power to the tossers who use the words against you.

I know that's easier said than done but my advice would be to muster as much strength as you can and ignore it.
Responding to the taunts only feeds their bullying.

Staying strong says infinitely more about your character and how much superior to them you are. :smile:
Reply 10
To be honest in the context they're probably using them i doubt there is much difference.
On a more technical level though a retard is someone who is inanely stupid and a freak is just someone who is weird.
What does it mean to be called a freak? Is it mean?
Freak is a compliment. It means you're independent and unbound.

Retard can be benign if used offhanedly, but can be considered intelligence persecution in more severe cases.

As I always say, stupid people don't ask to be stupid, they simply are.
Original post by SWCoffee
Freak is a compliment.

:lolwut:
She's really, really not.

Unless the meaning has changed since I was at school. :/
a freak only sounds mean when a non British person says it
retard is basically someone with learning difficulties so I don't say that word anymlre

retard is worse
Being called "weird" is one thing, being a "freak" is being weird on a whole 'nother level.

When you come home from uni for the first time in months and your mum looks at you and says "you look like a freak, what's wrong with you?" it's not a ****ing compliment.
Some freaks spend their lives in highscool, busily cultivating a complex personality.

Don't hate, appreciate.
Which is the most insulting/worse to be called?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending