The Student Room Group

Someone is upset about something-do you try cheer them up or are you brutally honest?

Had a debate with a few people over this the other day, and everyone but me would just say “it’d be fine” just to try cheer them up, I actually said that I’d be brutally honest with them as false hope hurts more and try give them some advice. I just don’t see the point in saying it’ll all be fine, how is that a helpful response? In my defence, I’ve treated everyone since I was like 14 this way and they all tend to come to me if they were upset about something, because they actually like how I’m realistic and how I’m more helpful- if they send me a sentence about their problem often I’d send back a massive paragraph!
Reply 1
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Had a debate with a few people over this the other day, and everyone but me would just say “it’d be fine” just to try cheer them up, I actually said that I’d be brutally honest with them as false hope hurts more and try give them some advice. I just don’t see the point in saying it’ll all be fine, how is that a helpful response? In my defence, I’ve treated everyone since I was like 14 this way and they all tend to come to me if they were upset about something, because they actually like how I’m realistic and how I’m more helpful- if they send me a sentence about their problem often I’d send back a massive paragraph!

I agree with you. Honesty is the best policy. But it may be also the way it’s said? If it’s said harshly, the person receiving the advice might take it the wrong way.

Telling the truth is important, but you can't tell the truth unless the truth has been revealed to you. You must then have had experience of truth working so that people feel your sincerity as well as understand what it is you are conveying.
Reply 3
Original post by regina_tay
I agree with you. Honesty is the best policy. But it may be also the way it’s said? If it’s said harshly, the person receiving the advice might take it the wrong way.

That goes to any situation though, don’t think it’s anything unique in that sense
Reply 4
Original post by Huw M Thomas
Telling the truth is important, but you can't tell the truth unless the truth has been revealed to you. You must then have had experience of truth working so that people feel your sincerity as well as understand what it is you are conveying.

You can only do so much, I think you can demonstrate that by explaining yourself thoroughly, from what I have experienced, people take you more seriously when you send long paragraphs when they need help rather than short simple replies imo.
It depends on what the issue is. Some things people are upset about are very relevant and justified, whilst some things are a little pathetic. I change my behaviour depending on what it is. I have been honest with people when it's needed. I prefer people to be honest with me but I know some people really hate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending