The Student Room Group

Friend has just sprung around and told me he dislikes me.

I have no ****ing idea what to do or say. Around 2 day's ago I got refered to my local mental health service. Today I have just been told by my best friend. of whom I have known for the good part of 11-12 years. That he dislikes me. I honestly don't know what to do. He is refusing to tell me why etc. What do I do? He is still friends with my friends so idk what to do. I want to be his friend but he is just being so difficult etc. Any tips? Any great anecdotes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To add onto this. I am afraid this may drive me to self harm again
I’m sorry about this. Were there any hints or signs of him disliking you before? Cancelling plans on you, making rude comments etc?
Reply 3
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
I’m sorry about this. Were there any hints or signs of him disliking you before? Cancelling plans on you, making rude comments etc?

He may of called me obese once or twice. But that is a banter thing. We do it as a friendship group. He has been fairly mean recently. Like trying to ditch me etc. Trying to break into my laptop and view my history. Trying to steal my speaker/phone. But I mean I am quite a chill guy so I don't rise to it. But he is refusing to discuss this with me. He has no ideas about any of my disorders. But tbf I have told no one. Granted I could probably state them here as no one knows me. My GP has reffered me to cahms on the basis that I may be deppresed and suffer from social anxiety. So I will most likely recieve CBT for that but that is besides the point. He doesn't even know about my previous harm attempts.
If he is a real friend, he will not dislike you and not tell you why. If you really want to be his friend, tell him about what's going on. If that doesn't work then leave him. There are many other people who are willing to be your friend who won't care if you have some sort of mental or physical health problem
Original post by Lactose
He may of called me obese once or twice. But that is a banter thing. We do it as a friendship group. He has been fairly mean recently. Like trying to ditch me etc. Trying to break into my laptop and view my history. Trying to steal my speaker/phone. But I mean I am quite a chill guy so I don't rise to it. But he is refusing to discuss this with me. He has no ideas about any of my disorders. But tbf I have told no one. Granted I could probably state them here as no one knows me. My GP has reffered me to cahms on the basis that I may be deppresed and suffer from social anxiety. So I will most likely recieve CBT for that but that is besides the point. He doesn't even know about my previous harm attempts.

Sounds like an unpleasant person tbh, be glad that you’re rid of him. Sorry things are difficult for you right now.
Reply 6
Sounds like an unpleasant person tbh, be glad that you’re rid of him. Sorry things are difficult for you right now.

But I like him. That is the issue
Original post by Lactose
But I like him. That is the issue

Do you mean as a friend, or romantically?

If you mean as a friend, maybe write him a letter or a message asking him to please let you know what you did wrong.

But the fact he’s tried to steal your property and break into your laptop to see your history is just dodgy, a friend doesn’t behave like that.
Reply 8
Do you mean as a friend, or romantically?

If you mean as a friend, maybe write him a letter or a message asking him to please let you know what you did wrong.

But the fact he’s tried to steal your property and break into your laptop to see your history is just dodgy, a friend doesn’t behave like that.

Certainly not romantic. but I could try a letter. And while I agree it is dodgy. But he is autistic so I cannot help be a tad more lenient
Original post by Lactose
Certainly not romantic. but I could try a letter. And while I agree it is dodgy. But he is autistic so I cannot help be a tad more lenient

Ah I see, the fact he’s autistic does explain a lot; he is probably unaware of how odd/hurtful his behaviour is. Definitely try a letter. Who knows, it might just be a temporary thing.
Reply 10
Ah I see, the fact he’s autistic does explain a lot; he is probably unaware of how odd/hurtful his behaviour is. Definitely try a letter. Who knows, it might just be a temporary thing.

Ye mbye. He kind of goes on and off. But he chose a really ****ing awful to time to have a moment
If he is autistic then let it go over your head.
Give it some time to settle and ignore it. Come back to it after exams or later in the summer.
Tell your GP about the self harming.
Reply 12
Idk. Stuff like. "One of the only good thing's about you is that you are hard to annoy" Can peev me a bit
Original post by Lactose
Ye mbye. He kind of goes on and off. But he chose a really ****ing awful to time to have a moment

Hmm yeah. Right when you need the most support. I agree with 999tigger - tell your GP about the self harming.
Reply 14
Hmm yeah. Right when you need the most support. I agree with 999tigger - tell your GP about the self harming.

Oh I have. one of the reasons for the urgent referral
Just cut them off, remove them from all memory, find something better and move on
Reply 16
Original post by Lepidolite
Just cut them off, remove them from all memory, find something better and move on

If it were that easy. I would. I really struggle socially
Reply 17
So I uhm sent him a letter thing via a social media dm. His response is lacking to say the least. I honestly dk what to do
Reply 18
I really have no idea what to say or do. He brought up something that happend two years ago as a point. But what he claimed did not even occur in the slightest as he described?
Reply 19
Any suggestions guys?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending