The Student Room Group

Funding second attempt at access to HE course?

This is a question from my housemate.

She's basically about to enrol for an Access to HE course. She tried the course in the 15/16 academic year and failed the course due to personal health issues. She's applied for the advanced learner loan just today (as she's also going to enrol today) and the website has told her that she's ineligible as she's already in receipt of a loan for this academic year (she has otherwise not applied for any finance for the 18/19 academic year).

Information online seems to vary between only one loan for an Access to HE course, and being able to retake the loan for a failed/false start year?

Is there anybody here that can help me find the right information? Again, she didn't complete the course the last time around and thus doesn't fit the "completed the same learning aim" criteria?

Thanks.
Original post by connorcinhull
This is a question from my housemate.

She's basically about to enrol for an Access to HE course. She tried the course in the 15/16 academic year and failed the course due to personal health issues. She's applied for the advanced learner loan just today (as she's also going to enrol today) and the website has told her that she's ineligible as she's already in receipt of a loan for this academic year (she has otherwise not applied for any finance for the 18/19 academic year).

Information online seems to vary between only one loan for an Access to HE course, and being able to retake the loan for a failed/false start year?

Is there anybody here that can help me find the right information? Again, she didn't complete the course the last time around and thus doesn't fit the "completed the same learning aim" criteria?

Thanks.

Hi,

If she has already attempted an Access to HE course, she will be ineligible for funding.

You mentioned she didn't complete the course due to health reasons, so she may be eligible to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) to gain that year of funding back. She would need to send in a cover letter in to us explaining what happened, when it happened, how it effected her on a daily basis and why this meant she was unable to complete the course. She will also need to back this up with evidence such as a GP letter or a letter from the learning provider if they were aware of the situation at the time.

Thanks, Duncan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending