The Student Room Group

An economic's students 2nd year (GYG 2018-19)

An economic's students 2nd year (GYG 2018-19)

Degree of anonymity:
Hello.
Call me T. I think it's best I retain an element of anonymity on TSR (meaning I won't be posting any picture with my face in it) nor disclosing something that might be identifying...
Why? The internet (and TSR) is a place where once you post something, it's out there (potentially) forever, in the hands of who knows who. Plus, I have said a few controversial things on TSR which employers might not be so eager to hear about if linked to me. I keep it black and white, but would not describe myself as a keyboard warrior. In real life, you generally have to think more before speaking :wink:

How I got here?
Born and raised in the UK, a child of immigrants I have British nationality formally. But I still have loyalty to my country of ethnicity- India. I don't consider myself a typical Indian, yet I also don't consider myself a typical Brit. I am a mixture of my experiences and as economics has taught me so far... be rational.
This is why you might often see me on TSR saying one thing, and then changing my mind later! My opinion evolves, and I think that is a positive character trait.
Anyway, I've been through all the "years", done my GCSE's and A-Levels (and received good grades... I've disclosed them sporadically over TSR, but I don't feel it too relevant to post it here, although if asked, I might). Everyone has their own standards and goals, so I don't want to put pressure on anyone.
Anyway, I received a conditional offer for Queen Mary's University London (QMUL) on which I needed AAA in my three A-Levels (Maths, Economics and Government and Politics). I (got the grades and...) enrolled in 2017 to Bsc Economics which is a 3 year course.

Why now?
First year was tough and lonely at times. I wasn't sure how I felt at times, and the drastic transition from A-Levels to University arguably hit me hard. I would not say I went through depression, but I definitely was not feeling my best.
Strikes by lecturers which caused lectures and classes to go "balls-up" affected me badly, and my attendance and general motivation went down. The main factor which kept me going was my timetable, and when that was messed up... I suppose, I became even lazier!
QMUL had offered me a semi-scholarship for getting good grades at A-Levels (which required A*AA), and I had got that. So for first year, I received that money. However, to keep it on... I needed a first in first year.
Sadly, through my own fault (most likely) and partly attributable to the university (my own opinion), I failed to make the grade narrowly.
I averaged out 69.3. I was very upset to feel so close, yet of course be so far. My parents were not pleased with my performance for 1st year either, which was fair enough.
Since I received my results for first year (in July 2018), I've been thinking a lot about how I will make 2nd year good.

Objective:
I know a lot more about myself now, and what I need to do, so I feel ready to pick myself up again. I am making this "blog" for all the people who've had failure and need a reason to believe they are far more than that. I am making it for myself, to enable time for reflection every day, and perhaps encourage myself to do more revision. I also make it for prospective QMUL and general Economics students who will see a taste of what my university experience is like.

Residence:
I have an older sister and in term time I am allowed to stay with her as it is closer to the university (about 40 mins journey). This is compared to my commute from home which would be almost double (1 hour 15 mins) and costs more.

Structure:
As I've said above, I will really really do my best to post every day, before the clock strikes 12! That might mean I'm making an entry at 23:59, but like I've said above... discipline is important to me, and it's something I need to constantly focus on.

Note: I'm not an expert at TSR (and don't intend to be), so I'm afraid you won't be getting many fancy colours. However, saying that, I am generally good with technology so I might be posting a picture here or there :smile:

Inspiration
I didn't have much communication in private with any of my lecturers for first year. I just felt like I didn't have anything worthy enough to ask them. I felt like me asking a 1st year maths problem to a maths lecturer with a Masters was the equivalent of a child asking me what's 5x5. The lecturer would see it as ridiculously easy, and I'd look like a fool.
However, today, I spoke to the maths lecturer (of which I didn't do too well in his modules in first year), and he told me... "You have to try". And, that made perfect sense. You don't ask, you don't get. He also said actually "The worse I can say is I don't know". So that's that. I'm going to try... for me. At the end of the day, it's my future at stake!

GYG:
GYG means grow your grade, and to make it clear, I am definitely hoping to grow my grades into a solid 1st class by the end of the second year. I believe I have the ability, so I just need to put into place a solid plan of action. And, you'll be able to see that plan here...

Following this thread :
I might be able to figure out that whole tagging people whenever I have a post (which is daily fyi), so let me know if you would like to follow. For now, make sure to follow the thread, or bookmark this page.

Final note:
Thank you for reading and best of luck to whoever is reading.
I'll re-iterate what that teacher said to me... "You have to try".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly. Shoutout to TSR's terrible forums which constantly fail me when I put in such passion into my posts. Spent like 10 minutes writing my reply, just to see it lost when I tried to upload my image. I'll do my best to re-create my post, but sorry guys. You can't create a masterpiece twice.

Day 1 25.09.18:

Intro
So for this week I am commuting from home to uni. So it feels like a long and tiring journey, but I know I'll survive. It's not something one really looks forward to though. Since this is first week though my timetable is just lectures. Economics has (what I'd consider) low contact time. In general term time it's 4 lectures (2 hours each) and 4 classes (1 hour each). So a total of 12 hours contact time a week. Yes folks, that's what you pay £9250 for. :frown:. Have to consider the office hours, office staff costs, building costs and who knows what other costs though, so it's not that simple. Anyway, according to our student handbook, it's recommended we do 28 hours of independent study a week (LOL). So I guess that brings up the total to 40 hours, which makes sense as it's a full-time course.

Lecture 1
Right. So I managed to get to uni with about 30 mins to spare. Tragically, it seemed no one else turns up that early, lol. So I went into a room and waited as my mate (which is pretty much my only friend at uni) was arriving soon. Right, so the lecture was at 10am and for Macroeconomics II. A pre-requisite for that module being Macroeconomics I (from first year). I was expecting it to be decent, but sadly the lecturer we have, has an accent which is moderately difficult to understand. I'm not going to say what nationality he is as let's not trigger any racism. But, it's annoying for me, and I'm going to be listening to him for another 9 weeks+. Great.
In terms of content, I was again disappointed. I had my laptop and was ready to make notes. However, he didn't release the module to our university portal (called QM plus), which meant we couldn't access the slides. Regardless, he really treated the first lecture as a major introduction as it was incredibly elementary. Thankfully I was not completely bored out of my mind as it was morning and I play a videogame (Runescape, which I've been playing for like 10 years) on the side anyway.

Lunch
Being the first day back, the School of Economics and Finance decided to invite all of us to a free lunch and a bit of a welcome back talk. The welcome back talk was okay... the food was good. Only about 1/4 of the people seemed to have turned up though, which was good or bad, I don't know. They actually brought in as many of the lecturers and class teachers from 1st and 2nd year modules for us to talk to, if we wanted. Personally, I didn't really have much to say to them. However, like I said in the OP, the maths lecturer (who I respected from before too) said something great.

2nd lecture of doom
The second lecture was from 2pm to 4pm. It was for financial markets and institutions. Tragically, the lecturer did not have his microphone working and so had to speak "loudly" or whatever throughout the 2 hours. Just to note, we do get like a 10 minute break half-way through. However, it didn't stop his lecture from feeling like it was droning on. I won't lie... I did fall asleep but only woke up as it certainly seems embarrassing to fall asleep in a lecture (to me), especially if you're near the front. Plus, I'm not sure there's much point being in the lecture hall if you're asleep. Anyway, the lecturer had a really boring voice and it seemed to make everyone really tired. I was looking around and everyone else seemed to be awake though, so maybe I was going through a lack of sleep or something, lol. Nevertheless, he had his slides up (44 in total) and pretty much it felt like he was reading through them. It was all new theory so I had to make notes on it, but I do feel like I absorbed almost nothing from his lecture. So I'll certainly need to go over that another day. I was just screenshotting slides from his lecture notes, so I had the relevant bits.
Anyway, the lecture eventually finished and I rejoiced. However, I had the journey back home to worry about and I think I reached back at 5:30pm. I then spent the rest of my evening feeeeeeeling tired, working on my Bitmoji (which is great), reading a bit of TSR (although not commenting much), having dinner and now writing this.

Signing off
I think that's enough for today and I am looking forward to tomorrow despite today being almost a complete disappointment. Fingers crossed tomorrow is great!!! T

file_structure.PNG
Reply 2
Day 2 26.09.18:

Disclaimer
I already feel lazy to update this and it's literally just day 2. Ah well. Here I am and let's build a streak as I sure as heck hope I have the concentration to provide a daily update. Even if it's brief. I think at the beginning (like writing an essay), it's difficult and you want to put it off. However, once you get into the writing, the words flow easily (if you enjoy it, of course) and you can find you've written a lot. Which is great!

Morning:
So today I tried a new route into university which seems like it's cheaper than the normal way I went, when I commuted from home, during first year. Plus it seems to be about 10-20 mins faster, which is great. However, I ended up leaving my house at like 9:40 which was a bit risky as the bus was only at 9:55 or something and so the ETA shifted up to about 10:55, which was close. By the time I got to the district/hammersmith tube line, it was pretty close. Anyway, I think I arrived at like 11:05 but thankfully as it was the first lecture, the lecturer hadn't started yet. So that was good. Plus I met a friend from last year (so yay, I can confirm 2 friends) and wasn't a loner in the lecture hall.

Noon:
I had to keep a track on the time as I had a PASS training session (as I signed up to be a mentor for 1st years- it's Queen Mary's student study support system :smile:), and unfortunately that session was at 12 noon. So I had to basically leave my Econometrics lecture (which was pretty good actually) in the half-way break to attend that. The training for PASS (Peer Assisted Study Scheme) was fun and quite useful. Anyhows, now I've done that... I'm eligible to help out for when the real sessions start, yay.

Afternoon:
So the PASS training session finished at 2pm and that was the end of uni for me today. Went home and ate my sandwich on the train back to save time ya know.
Since I missed half of the Econometrics lecture I decided to not leave it to another day to catch up. So I caught up on that, using the Qreview (lecture recording software at Queen Mary) for that lecture. It was effort though and I think it's seriously best to just do it in the lecture, first time around. If and where possible, of course. If you're really feeling sick, perhaps better to leave.

Thoughts:
So I've had quite a bit of free time today and apart from playing my usual suspect videogames I spent a bit of time reflecting on university.
I realised I really need to start checking out and applying to internships for summer 2019 as allegedly you have to get in early... thankfully my CV is sorted.
Need to sort out a spreadsheet or essentially a sort of online diary thing to keep a list of what I've done and what I need to do. I know there's this but I like spreadsheets so I would like to do that.
I also need to go over my lecture from the 24th 2pm - 4pm as the lecturer was incredibly boring and I was just screenshotting slides for a lot of it, which meant I really didn't absorb anything.
So there's 3 points to work on... :smile:

Tomorrow:
Not sure how I feel about tomorrow. It's annoying really I have to go into uni at 2pm as it means I've got till mid-day ish to faf about almost. However, at this stage of my life, faffing about is probably immature and I probably should have got that out in the summer :tongue:
I'll try to sort out something
T
Reply 3
Day 3 27.09.18:

Morning

Not sure how disappointing I should be in myself, but I basically ended up doing nothing useful in the morning. I wanted to wake up at 8.30 am but my body resisted. It was most likely because I had went to sleep at 2am the last two days. Late nights have consequences... don't let them tell you otherwise.

Afternoon
Made it to university on time (about 10 mins early) for my 2pm Games and Strategies lecture. Lecture room was packed out for whatever reason (most likely as it was the first lecture) and we had that lecture. Interestingly, I noticed from the lecturer's cv he speaks hindi (even though he looks white and has an American accent!) so that might be something I ask him about, if there's a chance. And yes, the lecturer is a guy for this module, it's not just me being a lazy shiz. The lecture was clearly entertaining as my attention was held and we didn't even have a break of 10 mins about an hour in, which is the standard of most 2 hour lectures allegedly. The highlight of the lecture was a person getting kicked out for talking by the lecturer. Ouch.

Evening

Came back home and felt tired. Then again, I didn't manage to eat my lunch on time as I didn't feel hungry before 2pm, so my lunch was postponed to after my lecture... 4.30! Maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway, since I have a 3 day week and today was the last day of that 3 day week I decided to chill. Although I know from next week onwards... well, I probably shouldn't be chilling. Anyway, I was just watching TV, and de-stressing so I thought.

When the fun stops, stop (18+)
Well, I don't really know if it's appropriate or not for me to mention gambling, as it's a dangerous thing for anyone to get into. I've thought myself to be quite intelligent and sensible but gambling has had a serious impact on my mental health and stress throughout 1st year. I'd cut it down during the exams but now the temptation is coming back again (as I have free time). I've been gambling since I turned 18 (online as I'd be mortified to walk into a bookies shop as there are a lot of shady looking people who go in there, or so the stigma states). The real truth is I entered gambling under the guise of "Matched betting", something claimed as a tax-free income for anyone really. I thought great, I can do that. Yet, I've suffered through addiction and the world of social media "tipsters" and whatnot, and as you can expect, I've lost money. Arguably, it might have cost me my "scholarship" from 1st year being carried on. The point to note is the negative consequences of gambling are endless but the positives are most definitely finite and most likely for yourself. The real truth (which I've never disclosed before) is that I want to prove that I can do it. That I can make a profit and have spare money, to do whatever really. But the reality is that I started off with £1k and now probably have £150. It's no longer an excuse that I don't know what to do. It's that I lack the discipline to not gamble, or gamble sensibly. The thing is, I'm probably best off cutting off gambling completely. But I feel a strong desire to win and won't stop till I do. The one and only point I'm proud of about myself is the fact that I've kept that £1k and now what's left in a "separate" account so it does not affect my actual savings or daily lifestyle spending decisions. It's isolated. And, the one and only thing, I really must ensure is I never move or put a penny more into gambling than what is in that account. To my parents, that £1k is lost to gambling. In reality, there is a certainty I can turn it around , however, it all relies on me, myself and I. So the pro and con is that it is all up to me if I succeed or fail.
If anyone wants any advice or wants to talk anonymously on the topic of gambling or has any questions, I'm here. I'm glad to have got this off my chest.
This is a very interesting blog so far! I'm already relating with the transition to university being a syriggle, it's only freshers week for me yet it's already been one heck of a rollercoaster! Sounds as if you're doing well though keep it up (if I even make it to second year at this rate I'll be impressed :facepalm: )
Reply 5
Original post by EmilySarah00
This is a very interesting blog so far! I'm already relating with the transition to university being a syriggle, it's only freshers week for me yet it's already been one heck of a rollercoaster! Sounds as if you're doing well though keep it up (if I even make it to second year at this rate I'll be impressed :facepalm: )

Emily, thanks for being the first to comment on here. You've moved to my favourite TSR person :tongue: (not that I actually had a favourite TSR person before).

My freshers week was last week and I actually attended no events, since I live at "home" ish and pretty much all of the events seemed to be ending at like 2am, which was a no-no.

First year is completely new so I'm not surprised you're wobbling a bit... I'm sure you'll be steady on your feet very soon though.

I think I'm feeling well, and have high hopes- so yes, it's a great start.

And, as an economics student I can confirm there's a 99.9% chance you're making it into second year. So, don't fret, and rock on in Leeds.
Reply 6
Day 4 28.09.18:

Morning
Well, I woke up at like 9am today, not exactly feeling as refreshed as I thought I would be. Maybe I'm lacking some vitamins, lol?!
Anyway, today is the day I've allocated to do some actual non-uni work, so that started from 10am and went on to 1pm before I had a lunch break.

Afternoon
It's kind of surprising how fast time moves when you "go with the flow". I went back to work for 3pm-5pm and then that was over. However, after starting at a computer screen, looking at numbers for hours, I needed a rest.

Evening
Now, I didn't expect today to be a complete lazy day, but alas it's turned itself out to be just that. And, yes it was my own doing. I had a nap from 5.30 or summat, and extended it to about 7pm lol. I can't say I have many stresses currently, so perhaps that's why I sleep so easily?! Or it could just be my own self-inflicted laziness. Right, well, I needed a shower, so had that and then uh, it was dinner time. Watched a great film (it was a Rom-Com!) and then the clock struck 9.
Anyway, I realised to myself I needed to make a plan of some sorts to actually get something done. The "plan" was below, lol. Not much of a plan.
tsr_28.09.18.PNG
I've just got the Ebay/Amazon thing to do. I've got 4 economics modules and it looks like I'll need to buy 3 textbooks (as I have one book as an e-book already). Allegedly I'm supposed to be doing 28 hours of independent study a week (eyeroll) so I need the books... will try and get those ordered tomorrow.

Sleep well!
Reply 7
Day 5 29.09.18:

Not much achieved
I can definitely sum up today by the three words above.
I can't even give a morning/afternoon/evening update as so little of importance happened.

Woke up at 10, did nothing serious till noon, had to leave house at noon to meet parent's friends... only back at 7pm. By that stage I felt I wanted to generally browse the internet (I have like 15 tabs of TSR open I haven't read either D:smile:, and uh, so nothing academically relevant was achieved.

I have done some more thinking and I definitely need a proper to-do list and yada yada to keep myself motivated. The ideas are there and Sunday (considered a day of rest by most) is probably the day I do the most work. So here's to seeing many updates tomorrow evening :tongue:

And, I'll be getting an "early" night according to my alarm. Set it for 8.30 so wow, over 8 hours of sleep to look forward to :biggrin:
Oh your other comment gave me the impression you read maths at uni. How are you finding economics? Good luck with your degree!
Reply 9
Original post by krissxkross
Oh your other comment gave me the impression you read maths at uni. How are you finding economics? Good luck with your degree!

Ah. Nah, I don't think I could handle doing a straight maths degree. In first year I had 8 modules and pretty much most of them had maths used in it, however, not maths for the sake of maths, if that makes sense. So I definitely still need to do things from A-Levels such as differentiation/integration/statistics but applied to economic theory, which gives it purpose to me! And I don't have to deal with none of that trigonometry dosh like integrating cos becomes -sin? That's probably wrong.

Some questions as examples...
Stats-> Very similar to questions from S1/S2 i.e. What is the probability of a lift failing 4 times in a day.
Maths-> Use matrix algebra to solve an input-output equation.
Microeconomics-> Use differentiation to calculate the Marginal Rate of Substitution
Macroeconomics-> Calculate the change in GDP based on changes in expected growth.

Right. There's a bit of extra info.

To answer you- economics is fine. I don't know how doing an other degree would feel like, so I'm not going to say it's good or bad!
It can be interesting at times but also boring at times and it really depends on how the lecturer is too.

Finally, thanks. Goodluck for year 13 yourself and, for Cambridge, as I have heard you've applied there. (I applied to Oxford for Economics and Management but got rejected. Was afraid to apply for Economics at Cambridge because they wanted A*A*A :redface:. That's a tough ask before knowing your results!!!)
hi xxx good luck on your GYG i just found this post xxx did u go through to the interview part at oxford ? i heard that u need to do a TSA test , did u do it? is it hard?

wish u all the luck xxxxx
Original post by Presence
hi xxx good luck on your GYG i just found this post xxx did u go through to the interview part at oxford ? i heard that u need to do a TSA test , did u do it? is it hard?

wish u all the luck xxxxx

Thanks. No, I was rejected before interview, sadly! I did have to do the TSA. I think the entrance exam for Oxford might have changed now actually though. But, back in my day, it was a ~50 multiple choice question thing and then write an essay. I think I got pretty much average marks in the test which meant I do have a decent intelligence (hehe), but nothing outstanding to Oxford. I did come from a state school though and didn't have much TSA prep though, so I'm not sure how to take the results fully.
Day 6 30.09.18:

Some progress made

30.09.18.PNG
As you can see from the above image, I've done very few things today.

In the morning actually I forgot I had badminton (a weekly thing I do with my dad), so I wasn't back at home till about 1pm. And then, when I got back, I needed a shower and it was also lunchtime. Being a Sunday, my family wanted to spend ages watching tv, so I was there till about 4pm. It was fun, but in terms of productivity, not ideal.

Anyway, I only went onto my laptop at about 4:30pm so I had a couple of hours. And those hours flew by mostly in something called procrastination.
Right. Well, there was dinner and we're here now... to the night.

What's most annoying is that I paid the sub fee for the Catholic society (£4) as I thought I was able to attend the weekly meetup, and when I went to ask later if it's okay me attending they now tell me it's moved to Thursday! And lo behold, I have a class on Thursday at that exact time.
I have attempted to move my class to another day, but really, it's a pain, and I wish they'd have stuck to their timetable. However, let me guess, it's done for the convenience of the admins of that society.
It's a major frustration for me with societies... they are pretty much set to the time for whoever runs it, and whoever is free at that time can come, but for anyone who's not free... try again next year with the timetable lottery! It's not like the society runs after university is done either (after 6pm), but in afternoon normal times.

Anyway, really hope I can attend the society or I'll just be sad and remain lonely, lmao. And I guess I'll have to leave my £4 as a donation to the Priest or something!!!
Hi there; I have just found your blog and it's strangely refreshing to know that life at university doesn't seem that alien as I would have expected, having not known any better, so Thank You for being open about lectures and yourself, I suppose. You mentioned earlier about the noticeable jump from A-levels to University. Please may you elaborate slightly further on that? I am interested in a course that has Economics in it and, having never studies economics before, it would be good to know your opinion on it. Thank You for your time, in advance. :rolleyes:
Original post by gadsb2001
Hi there; I have just found your blog and it's strangely refreshing to know that life at university doesn't seem that alien as I would have expected, having not known any better, so Thank You for being open about lectures and yourself, I suppose. You mentioned earlier about the noticeable jump from A-levels to University. Please may you elaborate slightly further on that? I am interested in a course that has Economics in it and, having never studies economics before, it would be good to know your opinion on it. Thank You for your time, in advance. :rolleyes:

Well. I think university is perhaps a disappointment in reality.
There's the idea of what's expected v reality, and expectations (for me atleast) were built up by for instance films. There's not really many British university based films, so I mean it was mainly from films based about US universities... One's which have Zac Efron in it, for instance lol.
Maybe because we're in the UK, but it's pretty much continuing life as normal. You aren't suddenly going to change from a quiet person to a loud person for instance (although there are many drinking opportunities and parties that would give you the opportunity).

They do always say that university has lectures (true), lectures/teaching which isn't compulsory (true) and work mostly being independent (true).
Accepting the above already puts you mentally ready as a lot of people (myself included) struggle with accepting the last point, when you consider the sharp contrast between sixth form and university. Coupled with the fact that you're paying £9,250/ year for the privilege of being taught less, and having to teach yourself more (and most likely buy your own textbooks), that's another less exciting thing.

The jump between sixth form and university is biggest in looking at what you choose to do. In sixth form, you have to do homework or you'll get a detention or your parents will get called. In university, you don't have to do homework and if you turn up with 40%, the teachers won't be calling home. Lecturers/the university do not set you predicted grades, and as such, they are unable to truly measure if you're under-performing or over-performing. They care... but in a different way.

Economics is a social science, and as such we use it to study people, in essence.
It's certainly an interesting and effective way to look at life.
Once you know economic theory, you can apply it almost anywhere and anytime.
For instance, knowing the principle of opportunity cost (something very basics in economics), might encourage you to use your time more efficiently. Or money!
Or the theory of specialisation explains why it's better to split people up (division of labour) to increase productivity.
Economics is a great subject to me, because it's applied maths.
The subject uses calculus, algebra, statistics, etc. to answer questions. We can create models to simulate scenarios also.
You don't see economists proving the integration rule (something which maths students have to do!), but you do see them using integration to calculate the producer surplus for a certain good, benefiting from a subsidy, for instance.

Obviously, I think it's a great subject. I first met it at A-Levels myself as the GCSE was unavailable at my school. It turned out I was supposedly good at it (based on my grades), and it uses maths in a lesser amount than a degree in maths, so it is a good balance for me.
What on earth is Catholic Society? :eek: Is it like a prayer group?
Day 7 01.10.18:

New month, reinvigorated me?

So I'm going to have to make this quick actually as I've got 3 mins till the clock strikes twelve as they say.
And, I would like to maintain my streak, lol, so gotta be pronto.

Not sure if I did that much today in absolute terms, but in relative terms I've achieved a lot. And I was doing stuff I needed to do but postponed now finally anyway, so that was great. (Downloading music ! Oops.)

Below is my weeks spreadsheet planner01.10.18.PNG
speadsheet_week.PNG
Really had to rush that above thing as basically, it was under 30 seconds till it's uh, Tuesday!
So I've made a spreadsheet where I'll be monitoring my progress on a daily basis, weekly basis and then have a to-do list where I can add extra stuff to which I'll move to a daily "planned time". Obviously it's really difficult to stick to a schedule as I expected to finish at 5.45pm today (hahaha I wish), but I decided to play my videogame longer and yeah just ended now.
For the current red highlighted stuff, I haven't actually highlighted it, but it's okay as I will have free time tomorrow to do whatever I guess.
It's an improvement on other days where I've been up to about 2am though. And... I now have my music sorted, so great. Anyway, I've got a 10am tomorrow which you can see above on the previous image and I'll need to be leaving house at 8.30 latest so probably need to wake up at 7:45? I used to be good at waking up at mornings but strangely enough as I've gotten older, mornings are painful.

Have a 9am on Wednesday so wow, that's going to be veeeeeeery painful. One day at a time folks, one day at a time. Except for assignments, LOL, you need to be organised about that.
Original post by emilynxlan
What on earth is Catholic Society? :eek: Is it like a prayer group?

https://www.qmsu.org/groups/catholic/

There's the official link. They've obviously changed their meetup day as per my message above though.

I haven't actually attended the Catholic Society yet (as I literally only realised it existed last week). And it looks impossible for me to attend in the first semester due to timetable clash.

Their meetup is seemingly ~1 hour. Think they have a "mass" (they have a resident priest) and then they go out for lunch as a group! Doesn't seem too much, to me. Then again, you'll have to ask someone who's actually attended :tongue:
Day 8 02.10.18:

Hmmm

So I had a pretty long day at university and I came back tired. I was there from 10-5pm. Had a lecture 10-12 then 12-2 was a break, 2-4 was another lecture, 4-5 was a break and 5-6 was the final class.
I'm finding it difficult to retain the optimism I had initially for this second year, but it might be because today I had two lectures of which I came out feeling that I've not learned much. And, I think it's an issue with them/their teaching and not me. Nevertheless, there's not much point telling a lecturer they're boring/not teaching well generally as they are very smooth with "excuses"/justification (as one finds out in 1st year!).
Thankfully, today was the longest and perhaps hardest day of the week for me. So I hope that I'll go to sleep, relax, and be refreshed and anew for tomorrow.
I did a bit of work in preparation for my classes tomorrow, so it's a positive step compared to last year, as quite often I couldn't be bothered to do anything pre-class and just turned up. So, maybe it'll help?
All I know is having the spreadsheet I have made above, called simply "Year2" is keeping me not being unproductive. Yay to that!
On a side note, I've now acquired 3/4 of my textbooks used for classwork/extra reading for the modules this term so there will be no excuses for me not cracking down soon.

Quick Reply

Latest